U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 PM

3,169 posts, read 4,904,405 times

Advertisements

Just heard on the news that a man got on the lite rail yesterday morning a 8 a.m. at the Sharon Road West station. He said three thugs got on and were verbally abusive to many of the women on the rail. He asked the thugs to be quiet and he was beaten - he has stitches on his forehead.

Apparently the thugs were bragging that they didn't have tickets for the lite rail. I thought they were supposed to have someone checking for tickets? Has anyone noticed security of any type along the lite rail? I am hopeful this is a one-time incident but something tells me this is just the beginning....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 PM

11,838 posts, read 26,896,309 times
Sad news... I'm planning on taking my first ride next week.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 PM

169 posts, read 297,546 times
If they are like the security in Washington State a couple of months ago that stood around and watch some teens beatup a girl don't hold your breathe.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 PM

3,169 posts, read 4,904,405 times
Golden phoenix - I saw that video and it made me furious! It is hard to believe that anyone would just stand there and let that girl be beaten. I am a 'middle age' woman but I don't think I could just watch if I saw someone beating up someone else. I would at least hit them with my purse or kick them! Can you buy a taser?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Just heard on the news that a man got on the lite rail yesterday morning a 8 a.m. at the Sharon Road West station. He said three thugs got on and were verbally abusive to many of the women on the rail. He asked the thugs to be quiet and he was beaten - he has stitches on his forehead.

Apparently the thugs were bragging that they didn't have tickets for the lite rail. I thought they were supposed to have someone checking for tickets? Has anyone noticed security of any type along the lite rail? I am hopeful this is a one-time incident but something tells me this is just the beginning....
Guess it was bound to happen eventually, the way thugs like this jump on and ride free too often.

If the city were smart it would be proactive and start cracking down on patrolling the light rail cars NOW before an isolated incident like this becomes the norm. And if that happens, ridership would fall, costing the city needed revenue.

This incident makes me wish someone with a concealed carry permit had been on the car with these guys.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:26 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,992,868 times
Link to the story from WBT:
Man attacked while riding Charlotte's light rail line - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

Old 05-05-2010, 12:16 AM

8,402 posts, read 22,429,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Guess it was bound to happen eventually, the way thugs like this jump on and ride free too often.

If the city were smart it would be proactive and start cracking down on patrolling the light rail cars NOW before an isolated incident like this becomes the norm. And if that happens, ridership would fall, costing the city needed revenue.

This incident makes me wish someone with a concealed carry permit had been on the car with these guys.
Maybe one day that will happen.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:21 AM

604 posts, read 707,790 times
thats probably why many see good reason to carry a weapon on them..

I'd applaud the attempt to defend the women, but sucks he was beaten...

Why do we have thugs and gangs again?

Old 05-05-2010, 01:16 AM
am2

413 posts, read 796,153 times
good reason to carry weapon.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:07 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,145,706 times
Less than 1% didn't have ticket? I've written the light rail line a few times. Mostly on the weekend. If I didn't have kids with me I would definitely take the chance to not buy a ticket. I have never seen ANYONE asking to see the tickets of anyone on the train. It's a joke. I feel like a sucker when I go on the platform and buy tickets because no one else around me does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte