U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 62,393,661 times

Advertisements

7th time this year gun in Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools

Gun Goes Off In Charlotte Elementary School -
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 03:27 PM

7,126 posts, read 10,797,075 times
^^^Now THAT'S a new experience for all those Mamas from Brooklyn NY!
In NYC it was the PTA. In Charlotte it's the NRA.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:56 PM

11,838 posts, read 27,002,039 times
Sounds like it didn't have a trigger lock. I bet the cops will be having a talk with the parents.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:28 PM

45 posts, read 72,167 times
Maybe they bring this up at the NRA convention this weekend. A third grader bringing a gun to school I would hope would have some serious repercussions for the owners of the gun(i'm assuming of course it belongs to the parents)

I own guns and have no problem with people owning guns but I would like to see more responsibility and consequences for people who own guns.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:06 PM

6,021 posts, read 9,281,677 times
We talked about this a little in the public transportation thread and this is exactly why I personally won't own a gun until my kids are grown. I'm not ready to accept the personal responsibility around very young children. Unless you are dedicated and vigilant to securing that thing, some scenario will find it into his hands.

I doubt somebody can convince me an 8 year old is responsible enough to secure a weapon and only use it in defense, otherwise there should be severe penalty for the parents of this kid.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:13 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,697,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ageremia View Post
Maybe they bring this up at the NRA convention this weekend. A third grader bringing a gun to school I would hope would have some serious repercussions for the owners of the gun(i'm assuming of course it belongs to the parents)

I own guns and have no problem with people owning guns but I would like to see more responsibility and consequences for people who own guns.
Exactly!

Old 05-12-2010, 08:27 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,130,325 times
I wonder if now it is necessary to have metal detectors at the elementary school level. Do they have them at the higher levels here?

It is absolutely appalling that an 8 year old got a hold of a gun. This could have ended badly had someone been hit by the bullet. My oldest is in third grade, and I thought I had a few more years before I had to worry about another Columbine.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM

45,245 posts, read 95,396,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
We talked about this a little in the public transportation thread and this is exactly why I personally won't own a gun until my kids are grown. I'm not ready to accept the personal responsibility around very young children. Unless you are dedicated and vigilant to securing that thing, some scenario will find it into his hands.

I doubt somebody can convince me an 8 year old is responsible enough to secure a weapon and only use it in defense, otherwise there should be severe penalty for the parents of this kid.
Well, that's because you are a responsbile parent.

It was reported on the news that this kids dad is a convicted criminal fresh out of jail - they seem to play by a different set of rules than the rest of us do. And though he and the grandfather deny it, I'm betting the gun will be traced back to the jailbird. Sad. Really sad for the kid

Old 05-12-2010, 09:15 AM

35,881 posts, read 72,328,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, that's because you are a responsbile parent.

It was reported on the news that this kids dad is a convicted criminal fresh out of jail - they seem to play by a different set of rules than the rest of us do. And though he and the grandfather deny it, I'm betting the gun will be traced back to the jailbird. Sad. Really sad for the kid
Well, how did the kid get the gun unless he got it from HOME - so someone at home had to own it and had to leave it laying around. What FOOLS.

I hope someone gets thrown in the slammer for being totally irresponsible and in possession of a weapon when they are on parole (or being a felon with a firearm - whatever the laws are).

Old 05-12-2010, 09:20 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,216,027 times
Wow, this is crazy. I was hoping to get away from the elermantary school crimes going down in here Florida. My husband owns 2 guns and we have a 4 year old, but not only does she not even know that the gun exists, but she couldnt find it if she tried. Its empty, in a case, bullets secured sperately, and locked away. In Florida I can say of 8 cases similar to these have occured in the past 2 years. Its a scary thought that some parents are so careless as to leave a gun within reach. Even if its not within reach, they were unattended to long enough that they got ahold of it and hid it away without the parents noticing. So sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>