Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:21 PM

31 posts, read 117,009 times

Advertisements

What's it like there?? The homes I've seen (online only) seem really nice and affordable (for me, coming from Miami where 1/4 of an acre costs $300k w/o a house).

What are the schools like?? Is it true you can chose which school to send your kids to in Meck County????

Any tidbits of insight would be greatly appreciated.

tia.

Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 01:22 PM

Sorry, forgot to add.....How far is it from downtown???

Old 06-14-2007, 01:54 PM

Does anyone have any familiarity w/Mint Hill?? HELP!!

tia.

Amy

Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,022,585 times
Commute about 45-1hr

Seems like a nice area, work with some people that live there.

Do not have kids so cannot help there.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:09 PM

240 posts, read 1,033,402 times
I looked at a bunch of new home communities in Mint Hill. I liked the area. It's pretty rural right now with a "small town" feel, but it's starting to see it's fair share of new residential and commercial development (mainly shopping). There's supposed to be a huge new outdoor mall being built over there called The Bridges at Mint Hill (right at the Lawyers Rd exit on 485), so that could affect the traffic out that way eventually.

Some of the schools out there are rated very well (particularly on the east side of the town). When you get to the western or northern edges, some of the schools aren't rated that well. The safest bet is to find out the school assignments for communities that you're considering and then look them up on sites such as GreatSchools.net, Schools, High School, Public Schools, School District, Public High Schools - SchoolMatters, and ReDir.

As far as commuting into the city goes, it's really not that far distance-wise from downtown. I'd say about 25 minutes without traffic to maybe 45 with traffic. The western side is closest to the city, and the eastern side is furthest. So you have a tradeoff between schools (better on the eastern side) and commute (worse on the eastern side).

Old 06-16-2007, 02:50 PM

316 posts, read 395,077 times
I grew up in MintHill - It is great and the schools are good as far as Charmeck standards. Yes you can pick what schol your child goes to as long as it is not closed (for picking) due to overcrowding - which most are and ALL of the good ones are. There is a charter school that is good their (can't remember the name but you can find it on greatschools by searching MintHill) It is not rural compared to how I grew up there and there is ALOT of land sold just waiting for developers to build. Check out stonebridge and the meadows of minthill on RYAN.com. I would move to MintHill in a second but I wanted distance from parents. The commute is nothing - take Independence blvd. to Brookshire frwy and you are downtown in 30 minutes.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:32 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,157,308 times
That commute is nothing????? Independence Blvd is nothing short of hell to drive on..30 minutes when? At 3 in the morning?

Old 06-16-2007, 06:33 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
We drove around the area one day and I liked it alot. I can't say much more than that... I am sorry... from VA here....

Old 07-10-2007, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,835 times
Default Mint Hill Resident - My view

My family (wife and 2 young kids (1.5 and 3.5 years old) moved here from San Jose, CA and we like our Mint Hill home. Like some people mentioned, it does have sort of a 'small town' feel but it certainly isn't desolate and void of life. You certainly won't get the bustle of a larger city but with easy access to downtown (my wife does the commute everyday and it takes about 35 minutes (bypassing most of Independence on back roads). I heard about the new mall and the stores going in and it sounds like it will be a really nice mall. As far as traffic, it will likely increase it a bit over there but the plan is to add several entrances into the mall so hopefully that will allow for good traffic. Schools are a mixed bag here like people already mentioned. I agree with others and you should check out particular schools and ensure you're in the district you want. (There is a new Mint Hill High School going in but not sure where that is going).

Good luck Amy!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:25 PM

12 posts, read 33,011 times
That's a good round up of responses Amy. Mint Hill held on to its rural character longer than many parts of the Charlotte area. But its growing, there is convenient shopping- and there are good schools-- but no real choice- the best ones are full if you don't live in their zone. However, if you do live in their area, your child is guaranteed a seat. Matthews, slightly to the west, is another area where Charlotte suburbs meet the countryside with some of the same small town amenities you'd find in Mint Hill. Personally I like the schools in Matthews better, possible exception is Mint Hill Middle over Matthew's Crestdale. 25-35 minutes to town sounds right as well, and the trick to Independence is to get on at one of the last lights, like Idlewild or Sharon Amity if you can.

And when I say I belive in Charlotte, that is the greater Charlotte area. 14 years here, and never more sure.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-18-2008 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte