U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 PM

29 posts, read 71,389 times

Advertisements

I'm at a tough decision with getting my 6-month old pup neutered. I called our vet and the cost is $215 just for the surgery (not including post-op pain pills). After some searching online, I found the humane society will do the surgery for $57! On top of that, I can give him a rabies shot, microchip, nail trim and post-op meds including the neutering for a grand total of $84. The health of my boy is the most important and I'm not necessarily looking at it from a cheapskate point of view. We feed him $45/bag food, bought him from a breeder, etc. so it's not the spending of the money, rather the huge gap in price that bothers me. I just feel like I could save $200 (the rabies shot at the vet is about 50 dollars too) and am curious with anyone's experience using the humane society. I checked the site and all surgeries are performed by licensed vets and the pooches are given pain medications prior to surgery that last all day long. So, anyone with some insight yea or nay would be helpful. At the end of the day I want the surgery done right, but also, $200 is $200 and would love to still have that in my pocket if I could.

Thanks in advance!

t
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,404,784 times
All of my pets have been neutered at the humane society. I was worried, because I thought it would be a bit of an assembly line, but everyone there is very caring and attentive. It IS a bit of an assembly line, but it's a very... well, a very humane one.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:42 PM

3,221 posts, read 5,028,437 times
I had my dog spayed there (more than 10 years ago!) so I can't speak for it now but back then it was great. Someone pointed out to me that the vets there do spay/neuters all day long and have lots of practice compared to a typical vet that may spay/neuter once a week or so. I was very pleased and the price was right!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:52 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,151,552 times
We adopted our new puppy almost a month ago from the Humane Society. There was no choice of who was going to neuter him: it would be done at their clinic.

We brought him home that night, and he did very well. 2 days later his new vet at Long Animal Hospital was very impressed with the scar and how well it was healing. No ill side effects at all from his surgery to date.

So I would say in our experience the vets at the Spay/Neuter clinic do an excellent job.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 AM

29 posts, read 71,389 times
Nice, thanks for the good advice. I too thought it would be an assembly line of sorts but glad to hear that the results were incident free.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,359,824 times
We used the one in Statesville for our cat. Very friendly and efficient.No problems afterwards at all. Also used them for the rabies vac.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:45 AM

76 posts, read 136,716 times
We adopted our pup last July from the Humane Society and had to have him neutered. Vet is one you would pay high dollars for elsewhere but volunteers time to the humane society. Have him neutered The Humane Society is aces in my book for the work they do.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 AM

777 posts, read 2,436,034 times
Yep, just used them to spay my 6mo pup two weeks ago . Our neighbor actually was a part time vet there for a few years and she recommended them.

$74 + $10 for 3 day pain meds = $225 cheaper than our vet. Love my regular vet but that price difference is crazy. Had no problems and would recommend them. Sure it is a bit of an assembly line, but the work is all being done by vets who have the time (and actually care) to help out.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 AM

83 posts, read 432,669 times
You can also get your animal spayed/nuetered at the City of Charlotte pound. It's free but they put you on a list and give you a call. They told us a 6 month wait for our 8 month old male cat, Billy, but it was only a couple of weeks. They treated him very well and I was impressed. I was worried that he wouldn't receive the same treatment as a vet but it was fine. The vet wanted over $200 which is ridiculous. Vet prices are very expensive here.....

Old 05-18-2010, 08:45 AM

554 posts, read 1,424,481 times
I just got my puppy spayed at the humane society. overall it was a good experience, friendly informative staff that took time to explain what was going on. I'm bringing my puppy to training class now and the trainer said to me that if I hadn't already done it he wouldn't have suggested that I did it that early (7 months) just something to consider...he said you shouldn't mess with the uterus at that young of an age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: