U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:41 PM

7 posts, read 23,220 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is the (perceived) expectation of tips getting out of control at semi-fast food places (and carryout)? I consider myself a decent tipper (20-30%) when I'm served but I'm confused about places like Moe's, Five Guys, Qdoba, Quiznos (and all the local joints). Why do they even have a tip option on the receipt? Is it because they 'made' (put together) my burrito in front of me? Is this the difference? In some cases you prepay (tip on credit card receipt before getting the food), so am I pre-tipping so I receive good service? I don't see why these employees are any more deserving of tips than those at places like McDonalds. Should I be concerned that they're remembering me each time I refuse to pay $10 for a ****** burrito? Then there's carryout, if my tip for delivery is for the driver - what is it for with carryout? Rant over, I feel better now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,743,406 times
The only place I tip other than a regular sit down and be served restaurant is Sonic, and even then it's only 25 or 50 cents.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,230,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
The only place I tip other than a regular sit down and be served restaurant is Sonic, and even then it's only 25 or 50 cents.

Exactly. If I am being served by a wait person in a sit down restaurant then I tip.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:06 PM

8,402 posts, read 22,731,470 times
If my food comes in a bag and/or box, I'm not tipping. Keeps it simple.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM

368 posts, read 888,461 times
I dont tip unless they bring my food to the table and refill my drink.

Although, I have tipped a couple bucks a few times at local places like The Roasting Company because the people that ring me up are generally pretty cool and remember my order since I always get the same thing.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:33 PM

109 posts, read 335,044 times
Places like Shomar's where they bring the food and refill drinks, I generally leave a couple dollars on the table (plus, they really do a consistent good job with food quality and getting the food out quickly).

Places like Nothing But Noodles or Pei Wei, where they bring the food, yet don't serve drinks, it depends on my mood and the food quality and timeliness of the kitchen, I may leave nothing, or a dollar or two at most (one exception, though we haven't been there in a couple years since we moved further away, was the Ci Ci's off 51 in Pineville. There was a hispanic lady that had worked busting tables for 5 or 6 years and was there everytime we were. I would always make sure I handed her a couple of dollars and her face would light-up like a Christmas tree).

Places like Moe's, where you get the food before you pay and your owe drink: no tip. (This is generally reflected in that no one tips in these places as the dining rooms/drink area/condiment areas are generally unkept. I at the point that I'm going to start submitting feedback online to these establishments as I have to wipe my own table and ask for missing condiments and empty beverage containers to be refilled).

Finally, we use alot of Restaurant.com coupons for large take-out orders. In many cases I might add a couple dollars on as a tip when I pick-up the order as I know they aren't making a lot, if any money off the order and it took someone valuable time to pack it all up for me.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:54 PM

529 posts, read 1,890,461 times
What about Melting Pot where you cook your own food? Thoughts anyone? Do you normally leave as much as you would at a "normal" restaurant?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:06 PM

7 posts, read 43,551 times
Places like Shomars and Pei Wei definitely a few dollars.. What about Starbucks? The drinks are so expensive anyway and I've never been able to justify tipping there.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:10 PM

847 posts, read 1,270,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post

The car hops at Sonic only make server wages just like a server does at Outback or anywhere else like that.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:46 AM

595 posts, read 1,538,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
The car hops at Sonic only make server wages just like a server does at Outback or anywhere else like that.
That's not true. Sonic car hops get paid at least minimum wage, normally more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte