U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:42 PM

841 posts, read 2,329,364 times

Advertisements

This might seem like a weird topic, but I am looking for suggestions or recommendations for fertility clinics - preferably one that specializes in IVF.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 02:58 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,135,438 times
Not a weird topic at all. Check out Dr. Simon Ward at Rankin Women's Center. He's the best!

Old 05-18-2010, 03:20 PM

Thanks..I will check him out.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:01 PM

How about ReachDRS on Morehead in Charlotte...does anyone have any experience with them..good or bad?

Old 05-18-2010, 05:24 PM

8,402 posts, read 22,328,062 times
There are lots of kids that need to be adopted. I was one of them.

Just a thought.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:28 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,643,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
There are lots of kids that need to be adopted. I was one of them.

Just a thought.
It's not that easy. Adoption is extremely expensive, usually more expensive than IVF. Birth parents trump adoptive parents in court and can get their babies back. It can take years to be approved and chosen as parents to adopt. There are many obstacles for adoption, and it's not for everyone.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
It's not that easy. Adoption is extremely expensive, usually more expensive than IVF. Birth parents trump adoptive parents in court and can get their babies back. It can take years to be approved and chosen as parents to adopt. There are many obstacles for adoption, and it's not for everyone.
I didn't say it was easy, inexpensive, for everyone, or that there aren't any other obstacles, did I? Not all adopted kids are babies. In fact, that's one of the biggest problems with adoption. The older a child is, the less likely they are to be adopted.

As an adoptee, I do have a personal bias. Some people, not necessarily the OP, are obsessed with having their own children to the point it nearly consumes their lives. One of my best friends married in her late 30's, spent every cent of her inheritance trying to have a child, and eventually the inability to do so ended her marriage after 3 years. There are so many children that need homes, and the world isn't getting any bigger.

I've looked into the adoption process, and it's ridiculous what people need to go through to be considered adoptive parents. It doesn't need to be as difficult as it is.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 PM

No, not all children waiting for adoption are babies, but for couples who can't have their own children, having a baby is usually pretty important, even if it's not their own. Older children who haven't been adopted usually have attachment disorders, behavior problems, and disabilities and are not easy to care for. There are not enough resources for people who adopt older children.

I think it's great that you are for adoption; I am too; however, if you have not personally gone through the struggle of infertility you have absolutely no idea what it is like, so please do not judge others based on their desire for their own child.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
No, not all children waiting for adoption are babies, but for couples who can't have their own children, having a baby is usually pretty important, even if it's not their own. Older children who haven't been adopted usually have attachment disorders, behavior problems, and disabilities and are not easy to care for. There are not enough resources for people who adopt older children.

I think it's great that you are for adoption; I am too; however, if you have not personally gone through the struggle of infertility you have absolutely no idea what it is like, so please do not judge others based on their desire for their own child.

You've made a lot of assumptions in this thread about what I do or don't know, or what judgements I've supposedly passed on others. I don't need to have gone through the "struggle of infertility" myself to form the opinion that it's counterproductive and suggestive of illness to have one's life all but destroyed because they cannot produce their own offspring. I watched my friend disintegrate because of it. Bankruptcy, loss of her medical practice, total alienation of her husband. That gives me some idea of what infertility can do to people. Your implication that I judged someone because of their desire is unfounded and incorrect. I did however form an opinion of someone whose obsession nearly ended their life.

Certainly her situation isn't the norm, but it is a fact that it happens, and she is who I based my comments on.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 PM

Your first post was sarcastic and condescending and you continue to come back and argue about something you know absolutely nothing about. I don't care if your friend went through it. If YOU haven't, you don't know ANYTHING about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte