Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 AM

15 posts, read 39,985 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

Have been reading this forum for a long while now, but this is a 1st time post.

We are a newly married couple in our mid 30's, temporarily living in Cleveland County but starting our search to buy our 1st home together in or around Charlotte NC.

I'm originally from London (UK) and have been living in the USA for over 6 months now. I currently work in graphic/web design - and although Cleveland County is nice, we really want to be closer to Charlotte where things are a little more 'happening'.

We wanted your advice on where the best places to live in and around Charlotte are for a young, modern, yet family oriented couple like us. We are planning on having a family soon, so a very good schools system and low crime is high on our wish list.

Our budget is between the 180k-240k mark and we would like a 4 bedroom, fairly secluded brick house in a quiet suburban area that is maximum 20-30 mins drive to the more busy Uptown.

Easy one, huh?

We've been considering certain areas based on the excellent advice on this forum, but we're also open to other areas too. We don't really want to be in South Carolina... we've mainly been looking at the following areas below.

Huntersville
Everyone says this is a great place to live, but which part of Huntersville should we be looking at? Is WYNFIELD nice?
And what about daily traffic? Is it worse than the drive on I-85 South from Uptown to Cleveland County?

Gaston County
We're looking at parts of South Gastonia, but taxes are noticeably higher. Does anyone live in the 28056 or 28054 zip code area and have advice on the best places to be?

Belmont/Mount Holly
We love Belmont and Mount Holly, but homes are expensive. Would anyone say Huntersville has an edge on these places?

Cabarrus/Concord/Mint Hill
Any opinions on these places, and advice on the best places to buy homes?

Any and all advice/suggestions/pointers are welcome - and if anyone can suggest other areas, please feel free. The more detail, the better!

Thanks in advance everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,094,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor888 View Post
Hi Friends,

We are a newly married couple in our mid 30's, temporarily living in Cleveland County but starting our search to buy our 1st home together in or around Charlotte NC.

I'm originally from London (UK) and have been living in the USA for over 6 months now. I currently work in graphic/web design - and although Cleveland County is nice, we really want to be closer to Charlotte where things are a little more 'happening'.

We wanted your advice on where the best places to live in and around Charlotte are for a young, modern, yet family oriented couple like us. We are planning on having a family soon, so a very good schools system and low crime is high on our wish list.

Our budget is between the 180k-240k mark and we would like a 4 bedroom, fairly secluded brick house in a quiet suburban area that is maximum 20-30 mins drive to the more busy Uptown.

Easy one, huh?

We've been considering certain areas based on the excellent advice on this forum, but we're also open to other areas too. We don't really want to be in South Carolina... we've mainly been looking at the following areas below.

Huntersville
Everyone says this is a great place to live, but which part of Huntersville should we be looking at? Is WYNFIELD nice?
And what about daily traffic? Is it worse than the drive on I-85 South from Uptown to Cleveland County?

Gaston County
We're looking at parts of South Gastonia, but taxes are noticeably higher. Does anyone live in the 28056 or 28054 zip code area and have advice on the best places to be?

Belmont/Mount Holly
We love Belmont and Mount Holly, but homes are expensive. Would anyone say Huntersville has an edge on these places?

Any and all advice/suggestions/pointers are welcome - and if anyone can suggest other areas, please feel free. The more detail, the better!

Finding a house "between the 180k-240k mark and we would like a 4 bedroom, fairly secluded brick house in a quiet suburban area that is maximum 20-30 mins drive to the more busy Uptown." is a very tall order.

Not saying you couldn't maybe find a house like that in Gastonia or Mount Holly - just know you won't get the schools you say you are looking for.

Huntersville is a pleasant place, but all the new homes there are on postage stamp sized lots - not very "secluded", or even brick for that matter.

It would be hard to get from Mint Hill and/or Concord where you would live more secluded to uptown in less than 45 minutes - more like an hour in rush hours.

Here is my best suggestion:

Prioritize your list of wants and be willing to let go of the last couple of items on the list. This will allow you to increase your chances of finding something acceptable.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,070,851 times
I won't comment about all the areas as I don't know too much, but I will say 1 thing about Huntersville and your price point.

The "hit" on Huntersville in the past has always been that it's in Meck county / CMS schools and more specifically the High School it feeds into... Most people I know about who live in that area with HS aged kids use private schools. I believe that there is a new HS coming online up there, so you'll want to investigate that very closely.

Your looking right in the sweet spot for home buying now... Most of the sales are going to be in that range and you might actually find some bidding and having to make full price offers. That's where the serious demand is right now.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I won't comment about all the areas as I don't know too much, but I will say 1 thing about Huntersville and your price point.

The "hit" on Huntersville in the past has always been that it's in Meck county / CMS schools and more specifically the High School it feeds into... Most people I know about who live in that area with HS aged kids use private schools. I believe that there is a new HS coming online up there, so you'll want to investigate that very closely.

Your looking right in the sweet spot for home buying now... Most of the sales are going to be in that range and you might actually find some bidding and having to make full price offers. That's where the serious demand is right now.
But the chance of him finding EVERYTHING on his list within 20 minutes of uptown are pretty slim, though nothing is impossible!

Good read on the Huntersville school situation

Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,070,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But the chance of him finding EVERYTHING on his list within 20 minutes of uptown are pretty slim, though nothing is impossible!
Yeah - most likely it ain't happening at that price point... I didn't want to completely shoot it down because I'm with you that nothing is impossible in this market. A serious challenge.

OP - Try to hook up with a good realtor! Quite a few are regular posters here.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,894,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor888 View Post
Hi Friends,

Easy one, huh?

Huntersville

Gaston County

Belmont/Mount Holly

Victor, I am also in Cleveland County. I live in City of Kings Mountain. The schools here are good & the drive to Charlotte is easy, especially Uptown. If you factor in the crosstown drive from South Gastonia to I 85 or East Franklin, to get to Charlotte, it's not much of a difference driving from Kings Mountain.

I assume that you are further out in Cleveland County. I would not want to be running back & forth to Charlotte from further out.

There are beautiful houses in South Gastonia. Yes taxes are higher there, in fact some of Kings Mountain is in Gaston County & that part of town has the higher Gaston County taxes.

Belmont is a quick & easy drive into Uptown, but you will pay for that convenience.

The other locations that you mentioned are going to give you heavier traffic.

Check this website for schools. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 05-19-2010, 11:01 AM

72 posts, read 189,259 times
I would recommend looking into the Stanley and Denver areas as well. You can find the house you are looking for in your price range, good schools, and manageable commute to Uptown

Old 05-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethoma View Post
I would recommend looking into the Stanley and Denver areas as well. You can find the house you are looking for in your price range, good schools, and manageable commute to Uptown
But again, not 20-30 minutes during rush hours.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Finding a house "between the 180k-240k mark and we would like a 4 bedroom, fairly secluded brick house in a quiet suburban area that is maximum 20-30 mins drive to the more busy Uptown." is a very tall order.

Not saying you couldn't maybe find a house like that in Gastonia or Mount Holly - just know you won't get the schools you say you are looking for.

Huntersville is a pleasant place, but all the new homes there are on postage stamp sized lots - not very "secluded", or even brick for that matter.

It would be hard to get from Mint Hill and/or Concord where you would live more secluded to uptown in less than 45 minutes - more like an hour in rush hours.

Here is my best suggestion:

Prioritize your list of wants and be willing to let go of the last couple of items on the list. This will allow you to increase your chances of finding something acceptable.
Thanks for the pointers... Yes, it is a tall order but I have always been of the mind that if you don't ask, you don't get.

We can always compromise. I can cope with a longer drive to Uptown as I work from a studio at home. and would only go into uptown once or twice a week. By a secluded home, I just mean that we don't want a neighbourhood where you are living on top of everyone else, and that there is space. And all brick takes 2nd preference to good schools/community hands down every time.

The most important thing is that we can get the best we can, with a few compromises, for our budget.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Victor, I am also in Cleveland County. I live in City of Kings Mountain. The schools here are good & the drive to Charlotte is easy, especially Uptown. If you factor in the crosstown drive from South Gastonia to I 85 or East Franklin, to get to Charlotte, it's not much of a difference driving from Kings Mountain.

I assume that you are further out in Cleveland County. I would not want to be running back & forth to Charlotte from further out.

There are beautiful houses in South Gastonia. Yes taxes are higher there, in fact some of Kings Mountain is in Gaston County & that part of town has the higher Gaston County taxes.

Belmont is a quick & easy drive into Uptown, but you will pay for that convenience.

The other locations that you mentioned are going to give you heavier traffic.

Check this website for schools. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Excellent advice Southbound, many thanks. I know Kings Mountain fairly well, but it is just a little too isolated I feel. I take your point about the drive though.

Which parts of Kings Mountain would you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte