Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 01:10 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,812 times

Advertisements

I had this guy come out from a company a couple weeks ago in regards to my central vac system. He tested it to see if it worked. There was just a disconnected wire from the unit that he reconnected and the system worked. He said he'll order the kit (hose and attachments) and bring it by when it arrives. I asked the cost he said around 350. He didn't give an invoice or contract or anything. He didn't take any money either.

Today he said the kit arrived and I asked the cost. He said retail is 591! I was like you told me 350 last week. He said look I don't want to fuss. If you want to give 350 fine. But I'm not making any money on this. I'll bring the kit by in 30 minutes.

Thoughts?

I appreciate he fixed the unit and is dropping the kit off and show me how to use it. Obviously too good to be true all this for 350 right? lol. But I guess I wasn't expecting 600.

What should I do?

I don't mind being charged for the service and what he's doing. But just tell me the breakdown of it all ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 PM

I could have just bought the kit myself for around 400 online or from a store in Pineville. But I would have been charged 80 bucks for servicing the unit from this other guy I had called. (This other guy I called said he charges 80 dollars for coming out but he doesn't usually service my type of unit since it's so old, so I didn't contact him again).

Old 05-20-2010, 01:26 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Then I would pay the guy coming out no more than $480, if you feel the need.

Not sure about the whole "I'm not making any money on this at $350" thing. He's the one who quoted you that price, not the other way around...

Old 05-20-2010, 01:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
WHen you say kit - you mean - the hose and attachments?

Like these?

http://www.centralvacuumfactory.com/...ment-kits.html

Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM

yes that's what i mean ani.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Then I would pay the guy coming out no more than $480, if you feel the need.

Not sure about the whole "I'm not making any money on this at $350" thing. He's the one who quoted you that price, not the other way around...
Yea I agree. And I don't know what he meant by retail 591, When I asked the cost of everything I would be charged.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:00 PM

I am thinking he is fine with selling the unit to you for $350, but he would like to get some money off fixing the unit (minor tho it was - it would have cost you $80 or more from someone else - trip there and then the standard fee).

I would pay what he said originally for the unit and then say - I am adding $75 for your time and trouble to come out here and fix that loose wire and deliver the kit.

So that would make it $425 and that seems very fair to me. Or make it $400 if you feel that is a figure that is fair.

As long as you write out the check and hand it to him, I suspect he will be fine.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am thinking he is fine with selling the unit to you for $350, but he would like to get some money off fixing the unit (minor tho it was - it would have cost you $80 or more from someone else - trip there and then the standard fee).

I would pay what he said originally for the unit and then say - I am adding $75 for your time and trouble to come out here and fix that loose wire and deliver the kit.

So that would make it $425 and that seems very fair to me. Or make it $400 if you feel that is a figure that is fair.

As long as you write out the check and hand it to him, I suspect he will be fine.
Yup he just came and I gave him a check for 400. He was fine! I think I got lucky with him fixing the unit, delivering it and showing me the unit for 400 bucks! I wonder how much he gets the kit for...

Another question, how do you deal with pricing for home repairs. Last week we had someone fix our sprinkler system. They said it needed a new part and it will cost $140. When he came back with the part he found two broken valves and the total came out to $335. It seemed fair and legitimate for all the work he did. He came back 3 times, he had to drill by the sidewalk to fish a new wire. But we don't get the total till after they are done. How do you handle these types of situations?

Old 05-20-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Yup he just came and I gave him a check for 400. He was fine! I think I got lucky with him fixing the unit, delivering it and showing me the unit for 400 bucks! I wonder how much he gets the kit for...

Another question, how do you deal with pricing for home repairs. Last week we had someone fix our sprinkler system. They said it needed a new part and it will cost $140. When he came back with the part he found two broken valves and the total came out to $335. It seemed fair and legitimate for all the work he did. He came back 3 times, he had to drill by the sidewalk to fish a new wire. But we don't get the total till after they are done. How do you handle these types of situations?
Oh, that is a really sticky situation - when no one is really sure what all it will take with parts.

Well, I usually ask - do they have a per hour charge or a "job charge" - so I get all that upfront. I had an electrician who said - well I charge $125 just to come to your house. So even if I do nothing, you owe me $125.

So I ask all that upfront before they get here.

I also try to describe the problem on the phone and ask them what they think that could be and how much it costs to get parts for xxx.

Most of them won't tell you squat, but sometimes I get an answer and a tentative possibility with the cost of the replacement parts.

Then there is always the conversation about - okay what if I order the parts myself - will that be cheaper. And- if you order the parts, are you getting a mark up on them? Cause I am trying to keep costs down, etc etc.

In addition, I work with folks like I work with car mechanics. I tell them - okay - before you DO A THING, you tell me exactly what the situation is and how much parts are gonna cost.

But in the end, we are always kind of at the mercy of repairmen, unless we can do the work ourselves!

One other tip - I tell 'em if the part is something that can be picked up locally, I will be glad to reimbursement them for the part when they bring the receipt or they can give me the specs and I will go pick it up myself (if it is something available locally). Sometimes that helps cut the cost if they are marking up the price on the item.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:06 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, that is a really sticky situation - when no one is really sure what all it will take with parts.

Well, I usually ask - do they have a per hour charge or a "job charge" - so I get all that upfront. I had an electrician who said - well I charge $125 just to come to your house. So even if I do nothing, you owe me $125.

So I ask all that upfront before they get here.

I also try to describe the problem on the phone and ask them what they think that could be and how much it costs to get parts for xxx.

Most of them won't tell you squat, but sometimes I get an answer and a tentative possibility with the cost of the replacement parts.

Then there is always the conversation about - okay what if I order the parts myself - will that be cheaper. And- if you order the parts, are you getting a mark up on them? Cause I am trying to keep costs down, etc etc.

In addition, I work with folks like I work with car mechanics. I tell them - okay - before you DO A THING, you tell me exactly what the situation is and how much parts are gonna cost.

But in the end, we are always kind of at the mercy of repairmen, unless we can do the work ourselves!

One other tip - I tell 'em if the part is something that can be picked up locally, I will be glad to reimbursement them for the part when they bring the receipt or they can give me the specs and I will go pick it up myself (if it is something available locally). Sometimes that helps cut the cost if they are marking up the price on the item.

I've been on both sides of the counter, so to speak, so I've dealt with these issues as a consumer and a seller. In both cases, getting all the details up front, in writing if at all possible, is the only way to help ensure a positive outcome for both parties. Communication throughout the process is essential. It doesn't have to be a confrontational or me-vs-them situation.

Time is money, though, for both parties. If a contractor isn't working at a jobsite, they're not making money. Marking up parts they've picked up, often at distributor pricing that gives them the opportunity to make some money, is to be expected. Conversely, when clients supplied their own parts, I told them that if anything about those parts causes my team a problem, the clock starts when that problem becomes known, and there is no labor warranty on that part. If you supply it, and it breaks, the cost of dealing with that is entirely on you.

As a consumer, I just had some brush and overgrowth cleared from my backyard by the guy who cuts my grass. While he was here three guys were moving fast and progress was great. Once the boss left, the other two guys slowed to about half speed, and were taking a couple minutes every 15 or so. They took a lunch, which is fine, but I didn't feel having some beers in my yard while eating was a very good idea. Since they were being paid by the hour I brought it all up to their boss. He said he'd look into it. I guess I'll find out what he thinks when I get the bill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte