Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,599,478 times

Advertisements

Cabarrus County organic farmers and environmentalists say they're
concerned that St. Louis-based Monsanto will build a laboratory at the N.C.
Research Campus in Kannapolis. Monsanto makes the herbicide Roundup
and produces genetically modified seed.

Monsanto causes concern | Salisbury, NC - Salisbury Post (http://www.salisburypost.com/NCRC/052210-Monsanto-at-NCRC - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:41 AM

78 posts, read 228,592 times
From what I can gather, the facility in Kannapolis will be mainly offices and computational types of analysis. Oh no, 1's and 0's are going to get into the local food supply.

Actual lab work will likely be done at other facilities or contracted out to other companies.

And of course I am just speculating.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,045,275 times
I remember some earlier threads talking excitedly about them "bringing jobs" and reality set in.

The "evil corp" in the movie Michael Clayton is based on Monsanto... I think they're the Devil for farmers.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:45 AM

43 posts, read 155,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I think they're the Devil for farmers.
yup... just go watch "Food, Inc." or "The World According to Monsanto", and/or read this article in The New York Times.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,604,434 times
Well, it's jobs.

There comes a time when one must weigh social responsibility against the unemployment rate and folks needing jobs to put food on the table.

Hopefully, Monsanto won't be doing experimental laboratory work there - or if they do - surely it will be monitored and not be something that would affect nearby residents.

But folks need jobs . . . so I don't think I would be disparaging any company that is willing to move here and hire people.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,599,478 times
We are sarcrifing the freedom of organic foods in order to do so.
With the oil spill we could sacrifice to either processed fish or imported from China
all our seafood. Heck lets just sell all the farms to Monsato let them have a monopoly
on our food industry with potential of charging sky rocket prices.
We already let the Big import box stores run out our mom & pops

Now you want to sacrifice the farmer for some employee who more than likely not from here to begin with.

If it aint broke then why in the heck we want to support something that worked for 200 years.
With this lets save the jobs screw the farmer attitude we are allowing big corporation
take over rural america.

This state going to be ruined and loose all its beauty because of greed

Old 05-24-2010, 05:48 PM

I do agree that much of what Monsanto is all about is not in keeping with what most of us want to see happen with farms here. They are a huge conglomerate. But my understanding is that this is not going to be a situation with Monsanto buying up farmland here - just putting a lab here.

Maybe I am wrong, but that is how I saw it - and it looks like jobs for chemists and research scientists, to me.

I am more concerned about legislation that Kay Hagen is backing that makes it difficult for small and organic farmers to make a living in this state and all over the USA. We need to be worried about what our own elected officials are doing to make it hard for farmers here.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:09 PM

169 posts, read 318,679 times
Just be glad that they didn't relocate Plum Island to North Carolina, which was a finalist, then you would have had a different view on life and as it stands right now it will be located in KS and if any animal disease breaks out of containment then we are all doomed. You can kiss the meat supply in the USA gone. Monsanto is just doing what the undevoloped countries need and want. If you raise your own food then don't complain and if you don't then whose fault is that? Unless you buy locally how do you know your food doesn't come from South or Central America now and do you think its organic? Some blow everything out of proportion.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden phoenix View Post
Just be glad that they didn't relocate Plum Island to North Carolina, which was a finalist, then you would have had a different view on life and as it stands right now it will be located in KS and if any animal disease breaks out of containment then we are all doomed. You can kiss the meat supply in the USA gone. Monsanto is just doing what the undevoloped countries need and want. If you raise your own food then don't complain and if you don't then whose fault is that? Unless you buy locally how do you know your food doesn't come from South or Central America now and do you think its organic? Some blow everything out of proportion.
I don't know anything abot Plum Island and I moved here from Kansas, lol. I don't want to see any sort of animal disease or genetic mutation to be allowed into our food system, but it seems our government is allowing this type of research to continue. My thoughts are - I don't want any genetically engineered products, but there is nothing I can do since the government/FDA approves this stuff.

I grow what I can and prefer heritage plants. I worry about all the antibiotics and hormones given to animals . . . etc. And I don't like genetically engineered products. But since I don't have a farm, there isn't much I can do to avoid these substances that the Feds allow. As consumers, we rarely even know what processes our food has been through - we only know that the FDA has approved whatever it is.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 AM

169 posts, read 318,679 times
You should read about Plum Island if you are worried about Monsanto. Richard Burr wanted it here in NC. Don't hear anyone complaining about the hormones and antibiotics given to chicken, pork or beef nor where all the cancer is coming from only the ways to cure it, and I wouldn't trust the FDA as far as I could throw them. Do a search Crimson Sky-Plum Island and read and if you think Monsanto is dangerous you haven't seen nothin' yet. Only the wannabes shout about what everyone knows and they miss the obvious because they assume they are know it alls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte