Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:27 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,810,493 times

Advertisements

This is "fabulous" news for the Charlotte area..however this little tidbid perturbs me....Why do people still complain about the jobs and the average salary of the jobs... It seems to me if you are unemployed..you would be thankful for 'any' kind of employment........We really need to stop being ungrateful as a community and welcome the employment opportunities with open arms........Just need to get that off my chest....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:30 PM

870 posts, read 3,530,625 times
All news about jobs is good news but must be kept in check with reality.

Red Cross is bringing 440 jobs to Charlotte. To do this they are closing 24 centers around the country and keeping 3 open. The article does not say how many people are being relocated to Charlotte and how many open jobs there will be. They will be part time and full time call center jobs.

General Mills has leased 1500 sq ft in Kannapolis and will have 2 employees in the lab there starting in June. There are no announcements or additional information about the number of potential employees. This will only be a lab facility.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:45 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,810,493 times
Call center jobs are better than nothing....It's a stepping stone as I see it.This is what wrong with America today...So many people will 'snurl' their nose up at these type of jobs because it;s not a job that pays 70, or 80 grand a year.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:50 PM

You didn't understand what I said. As far as I am concerned, a job is a job is a job but many will be losing them in other parts of the country in order to close 23 sites. The 440 jobs in Charlotte will not be completely filled by Charlotteans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Call center jobs are better than nothing....It's a stepping stone as I see it.This is what wrong with America today...So many people will 'snurl' their nose up at these type of jobs because it;s not a job that pays 70, or 80 grand a year.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,355,376 times
At least , hopefully , they will be filled by those who are unemployed. Hopefully whoever fills them will receive sufficient training to perform in a professional manner , as opposed to those who will place someone in need on hold to finish a conversation about designer clothes , or something equally crazy. It seems , from my experience , alot of positions in certain places could use some culling to eliminate those who are careless. This is off topic , but I received a call from a telemarketer who spoke to me with what sounded to be a mouthful of food. She had the gall to get mad because I told her I wasn't interested - actually cursed me and hung up in my ear!! I know countless persons who would kill for her position , regardless of pay.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:39 AM

310 posts, read 1,701,287 times
Does anyone know the location of the Red Cross call center, where it would be? In the city of Charlotte? Cross-Streets? (trying to find out if it's accessible by public transportation, buses)

Old 05-27-2010, 05:40 AM

In a 61,500 square-foot building on Forest Park Drive at an office park off Arrowood Road near Interstate 77.
Job applications won't be available til August and hiring won't begin until October.

They are shedding 1100 jobs around the US.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:25 AM

117 posts, read 295,835 times
Sure its a job but wasnt it reported that red cross international was training and giving aid to taliban forces in afganistan? Despite the stance of the organization it just seems... wrong. I wouldnt work for them.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:32 PM

24 posts, read 59,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiveslude View Post
Sure its a job but wasnt it reported that red cross international was training and giving aid to taliban forces in afganistan? Despite the stance of the organization it just seems... wrong. I wouldnt work for them.
The American Red Cross and the ICRC are not the same organization. Either way, they are required to provide impartial humanitarian aid.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,379 times
I am one of many who will be unemployed when the Charlotte NC Red Cross office opens. I am disabled and have a very difficult time finding employment, even part-time. The income from this job helps pay my rent, car insurance and buy food. Great for Charlotte, devastating for me. Kat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: