Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 PM

812 posts, read 1,910,058 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move back to the Clt area for a job promotion in Fort Mill.

The job would be off the same exit as Baxter Village but across the interstate a few miles down near Old Bailes/Hwy 160.

I really like the idea of walking to shops, restaurants and parks with my pre-schoolers. I feel like all I do is get in a car and drive to places, walk a few steps into stores and repeat. Never getting any exercise. I love it when we go on vacation and can walk to most of the places. I actually lose weight while on vacation!!!

I like the concept of Baxter Village or Blakeney. Do most people that live in those neighborhoods like them?

My only negative--I don't really like the detached garages. I am used to a 2 car attached garage and the ease of unloading the minivan especially in the rain!!

I noticed some of the Baxter homes have attached garages but the Blakeney ones didn't from what I could tell from the online real esate sites.

His commute seems about the same between the 2 neighborhoods. It is about 8.5 miles from Baxter and 6.5 miles from Blakeney.

Comparing schools? Daycare/preschool? Taxes? Friendly? Would want to enroll our kids in sports/activities--possibly ice skating in Pineville. I may also work part time (health care).

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas. Trying to weigh the cost/benefits of this move. Would be good for the hubby but I would lose my great job, cheap daycare at the best facility in Hickory and free family babysitting! But we prefer the "bigger city" lifestyle and amenities plus diversity of people to meet. Cost of daycare would almost make it to where I couldn't work til both kids were in elementary school. I enjoy working part time and still having $ leftover AFTER paying FT daycare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 01:39 PM

385 posts, read 891,396 times
Ok I'll point out the obvious.

Those neighborhoods are walkable BECAUSE the garages are detached alley load garages. Neighborhoods aren't very walkable when you are dodging soccermoms zooming in and out of their driveways in Suburbans with blind spots the size of the Gulf Oil Slick.

Just bustin yr chops btw.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:54 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,142,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post

Those neighborhoods are walkable BECAUSE the garages are detached alley load garages. Neighborhoods aren't very walkable when you are dodging soccermoms zooming in and out of their driveways in Suburbans with blind spots the size of the Gulf Oil Slick.

That's not why they're walkable! They are walkable neighborhoods b/c they were designed that way - with shops, restaurants, parks and schools within walking distance. It has nothing to do w/detached garages.

OP, I think you'd prefer Baxter. Blakeney is cute, but it's not really a walkable community, IMO. Baxter has a YMCA, elementary school, church, library, restaurants, child care center, and a few shops within the neighborhood. If you go by the school during the day the bike rack is loaded w/bikes just like the days of yore! Taxes are a bit lower on the SC side, but the schools are great, if not better than S. CMS schools. It's also way less crowded.

I might be biased b/c if we ever move w/in the Charlotte area we will move to Baxter. But you should check it out and see for yourself! Best of luck!!

Old 06-04-2010, 01:54 PM

812 posts, read 1,910,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post

LMAO! I live in a traditional neighborhood now with front loaded garages. Everyone walks around on the sidewalk but we can't walk anywhere except around the 130 houses in our 'hood. No parks or playgrounds. Definitely no community pool either. The main road isn't safe/no sidewalks and would be a 1.5+ mile walk to a very small shopping center--chinese, cigarettes, grocery and video store. Walking to school is definitely not an option unless you want to risk your life!

Old 06-04-2010, 06:42 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,221,192 times
The irony of a discussion of what constitutes a "walkable" neighborhood where apparently the most important item under discussion is where the 2 car garage should go.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:00 AM

104 posts, read 184,782 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most people in Baxter Village drive to the town center? Baxter is really big, and unless you're right next to the shops, you'd likely have to walk at least 15 minutes. Still, a two minute drive is nice.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 AM

554 posts, read 1,509,284 times
I live in Blakeney. I love it. I walk quite a bit but I have to say Baxter is very nice as well and probably a little more of a walkable community. Both are nice areas, check them out and base it off your own preference.

Last edited by AmandaEve011; 06-05-2010 at 09:14 AM..

Old 06-05-2010, 09:33 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,031,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteBound88 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most people in Baxter Village drive to the town center? Baxter is really big, and unless you're right next to the shops, you'd likely have to walk at least 15 minutes. Still, a two minute drive is nice.

OMG a 15 minute walk, and we wonder why America is having an obesity problem.

I really wish 160 had sidewalks up to Rivergate.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:13 PM

850 posts, read 2,653,564 times
We live in Bax and love it. We have an attached garage, most of the non-alley home sites have attached garages...

Old 06-05-2010, 01:05 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,142,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
OMG a 15 minute walk, and we wonder why America is having an obesity problem.

I really wish 160 had sidewalks up to Rivergate.
I know, right? I read that post and thought "seriously??" I'd love it if we had sidewalks, though I'm a bit too far up 160, but I'd ride my bike. A 15 minute walk is nothing. I think a 30 minute walk is nothing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte