Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:58 AM

55 posts, read 123,773 times

Advertisements

I am a former college player and current coach in Upstate NY.

I plan on moving down to the area next summer and wanted some info about local area programs. Who's good? What are the youth/rec leagues like? Are there any pick-up games or men's leagues?

Just trying to get a feel for the area and type of facilities teams have or have access to.

Any insight or links would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:23 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
I was just at a tourney in Elon Park (awesome facility on Ardery Kell)) this weekend watching my nephew play... Being from LI I know how dominate states like NY and Maryland have always been in producing great lacrosse players.

I will tell you that it seems to be catching on big down here. First off, Duke just won the national championship (which I'm sure you know) and put a bullseye on NC as a hot bed for the sport.

My nephew plays for Lake Norman United (Mooresville West) and they field a pretty good team... South Charlotte (i.e. Myers Park), northern Union County (i.e. Weddington) have very competitive teams.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:02 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
My son plays at Marvin Ridge HS in Union County. We are originally from NY as well.

The private schools generally have the best teams though Providence is very good as well. In Union County, Weddington is probably the strongest. Not sure about the northern side of town.

The most popular rec league on the south side of town is Mecklenburg Youth Lacrosse, their website is Welcome to Stick With Us . WCWAA (Union County) has been developing a program as well, and it has grown tremendously. Their website is Wesley Chapel Weddington Athletic Association

I believe there are men's leagues (I wish there were women's as well -- I played in college too!) but I am not sure where they play. Call the Lax Zone store, they should be able to direct you. Lax Zone Charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina

Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 AM

55 posts, read 123,773 times
Awesome info, Thank you very much!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDees27 View Post
You can also check out Charlotte Lacrosse News they have a blog on there that keeps you up to date with the local lacrosse happenings. As for the best programs in charlotte Myers Park just won their first state championship this year. Charlotte Catholic, Providence are probably have the best public school programs in the area with a number of state titles. As for the Private schools Charlotte Country Day, Providence Day School and Charlotte Latin seem to always be on top. The sport is quickly expanding down here and the youth leagues at stickwithus seem to be leading the way, Welcome to Stick With Us . Also the Adult and high school State Games for lacrosse will be played at Elon Park in Weddington, State Games of North Carolina :: NCAS (http://www.ncsports.org/sgdetail.php?id=41 - broken link) Hope this helps.

Catholic High dominates, always has.

But they aren't a public school (just FYI )

Old 06-08-2010, 12:18 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Catholic High dominates, always has.

But they aren't a public school (just FYI )
heh - Elon Park also isn't in Weddington, but close enough?

Duke winning the national championship is only going to blow the sport up even more.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,661 times
Ha yeah I was debating on putting a * next to Catholic I know they aren't entirely public, but they do play for the "Public" state title.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:41 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Wilmington, on the coast, has some pretty good lacrosse at its four main high schools. They have been playing over a dozen years there. Greenville has some smaller leagues, but would be a good place for a coach. Both ECU and UNCW have clubs but they serve as a catalyst for the high school and "under" leagues.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:05 PM

385 posts, read 890,158 times
Lacrosse has been around quite sometime here in the private schools at least. My boarding school in PA used to play Country Day and Chapel Hill in a North/South tournament every year about 15 years ago. They were pretty outmatched back then but started to compete pretty well by the mid 90s.

UNC has been a huge factor at Div I level for quite sometime and now Duke has come on in the last decade. Limestone College (Gaffney, SC) actually won the Div II championship a few years back. This has helped spur the sport on at several local small schools including Queens here in Charlotte. Kinda funny since our club team at Clemson used to whip up on them in exhibition games before they got too good to play us.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDees27 View Post
Ha yeah I was debating on putting a * next to Catholic I know they aren't entirely public, but they do play for the "Public" state title.

Great point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte