Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,738,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJoyce View Post
New York is a very diverse state so it struck me odd that you were having issues with others about your diverse background (family). Could there be another reason? Have you thought about starting a group for families of interrial couples? What I am trying to say is do not run from anything? There is racism everywhere it is due to people's ignorance not there intelligence. Charlotte, is very different from New York. There is no Timesquare, extensive transportation system, vendors, or anything New York. I moved from California to Kentucky and then here. It was a shock but I have adapted. Why not come down and visit us for two weeks and see how you like it? Start your research on our state.
Pictures of Charlotte.
Website for Charlotte. home (http://www.charmeck.org/living/home.htm - broken link)
History of Charlotte and other informationModerator cut: link removed
Charlotte's Got Alot Charlotte Travel & Tourism - Charlotte NC Hotels, Restaurants & Shopping
i agree. do not move to charlotte trying to get a "small/mini" ny vibe. its not gonna happen.

move to charlotte for the things that charlotte has.

otherwise save your money and move to jersey, long island, ct, etc.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:20 PM

26 posts, read 52,837 times
Hi, Big melting pot in NC. I had the same concerns when I first relocated here from NY. I'm white and my now ex is Hispanic. We ran into more northerners when we first got here and live in a diversified neighborhood. I love it here.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:26 PM

7 posts, read 13,059 times
I had thought I posted a reply but I guess it didn't go through, my apologies. Well there is ignorance everywhere, our problems seem to stem from the areas we live in different parts of Queens, NY. My concern is that I have been told that there is a lot of racism against mixed relationships down south, I am not one to stereotype so I am just asking to make sure I am correct in assuming that we wont have too many problems in Charlotte that is all. As for the job market, my fiance would be able to support both of us with this job offer, but I want to get into the medical field as a passion of mine so I am now looking into the schools and jobs available in the specific fields I want. I still have questions, I would love your opinions, Does anyone know which areas of Charlotte are they're favorite and why? Which schools(pre-k/elementary) do you think is best?

Old 06-11-2010, 04:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenSkye View Post
I had thought I posted a reply but I guess it didn't go through, my apologies. Well there is ignorance everywhere, our problems seem to stem from the areas we live in different parts of Queens, NY. My concern is that I have been told that there is a lot of racism against mixed relationships down south, I am not one to stereotype so I am just asking to make sure I am correct in assuming that we wont have too many problems in Charlotte that is all. As for the job market, my fiance would be able to support both of us with this job offer, but I want to get into the medical field as a passion of mine so I am now looking into the schools and jobs available in the specific fields I want. I still have questions, I would love your opinions, Does anyone know which areas of Charlotte are they're favorite and why? Which schools(pre-k/elementary) do you think is best?
Please go back and reread post #15 - it should make you feel better.

Your price range is a bit broad - can you really afford a $600,000 home on your guys income?? Maybe you won the lottery or inherited a lot of money? In any case, in that price range you can live in MANY nice places - too numerous to list for you I'm afraid. But look at south Charlotte if schools are the most important thing to you.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:57 PM

7 posts, read 13,059 times
Wow, A. I am retarded, i thought my response did not post but I failed to realize there were other pages to see, so I didn't see all of your wonderful responses till now, I will take everything into consideration and lovesmountains, you would be correct my fiance is inheriting a very decent amount that would make a 600k house a bit more affordable, my concern is I do not want to get a very nice house and pay a lot on tax, our goal is to make it last and grow, do you have any idea on property tax? I have seen a variety of amounts, and does anyone know what HOA fees are, considering everyones responses I will most likely look into south charlotte, thank you all!!

Old 06-12-2010, 07:25 AM

240 posts, read 732,328 times
Cool bi -racial

I am the mother of a most beautiful bi-racial daughter.

I moved to Charlotte in 1988 (originally from London, England).
I started dating an african american and we never got any kind of stares or problems, etc. I must admit that we did not see too many other inter-racial couples then.
We married in 1990 and our daughter was born in 1994.

I can honestly say that i never faced any kind of racism but i am sure people made comments behind my back. People do that to everyone though.

I live in South Charlotte with my daughter and she has friends of all races.
We love it here in South Charlotte where the schools are superb and the wonderful sense of community and family living cannot be matched.

At the end of the day, we all bleed RED blood.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:39 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,656,464 times
I volunteered at Taste of Charlotte last night, and from my vantage point of sitting in the booth watching the stream of people, I saw quite a few biracial couples with beautiful children! Happily noshing along. In the three hours I was working, I saw probably 12 African American/White couples, and several Hispanic/White couples. No one stared or gave ugly looks... it was a beautiful melange of all kinds of folks!

No, we're not a little NY, and some transplants have a hard time at first, adjusting to the slower pace! But I love Charlotte, it's a great place to raise a family.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:55 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,347,102 times
There are 5 community colleges in the greater Charlotte metro area that graduate medical assistants each year and while ads mention "RMA", the CMA(AAMA) credential is more common and in many cases, preferred andjobs are tight. CMAs make about $13/hr +/- depending where you live. Ultrasound techs make decent $$, but positions are also hard to come by - people aren't retiring or leaving their positions.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
The above posts really tell the tale, but would just point out the "stare level" will likely rise as you move out of the more established metro areas. Even then, a Queens person will surely have the built in radar to know it's harmless.
Yes; it is really more a rural/urban thing than a Southern/Northern thing. A big city in the South is much more like a big city in the North than it is to a rural area in the South, just like a city in the North is more like a Southern city than to a town in upstate NY of population 8,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte