Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 30,422 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for activities in Charlottesville other than shopping and eating. I just graduated from college and being from another state and out of the college network, it's difficult to meet people. Does anyone know of any events/clubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2006, 07:42 PM

73 posts, read 171,832 times
Charlottesville? Most people spend their time talking about how smart they are and how expensive their car is. Popping one's collar is also a popular Charlottesville hobby. Oh yeah, drinking Zima and talking about how great their 7-5 football team is also is a popular event in Hooville.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 30,422 times
Default snobby charlottesville

I agree. What is up with that. Who told these kids that they were so special anyway?!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:35 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Default What to do in Charlottesville

Although I love to visit Charlottesville's downtown mall and many tourist attractions, I believe a young college graduate should think about moving to Richmond or D.C. to enjoy a more active social life. Charlottesville's culture is rather "exclusive" which is not a bad thing. I think it distinguishes it from other parts of our state. I can tell you not to consider Blacksburg or Hokie country. In the New River Valley most Tech graduates concept of a social life is going to a Tech game. Period. Not much culture there.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:21 AM

4 posts, read 19,872 times
I lived in Harrisonburg for four years and two years in Charlottesville. C'ville is not really a smugville like SF or Seattle, but I was in the same dilemma. So guess what I moved to California lol, but now i've seen the entire west coast and concluded that Virginia is one of the prettiest states and i'll be coming back.

Things to do, hmmm. In C'ville, you pretty much got the downtown outdoor mall to do some people watching, especially with the guys with their collars up lol. I forgot what the club was called, but everyone goes to this gay owned membership only club which is pretty decent. It's near the downtown mall parking lot, ask around.

Besides that I have no idea because I worked 40 plus hours in C'ville. Oh yeah there's that upstairs tea lounge which is pretty neat at the downtown mall.

I've spent more time in Harrisonburg, it's only an hour drive, but a nice one. I would check out Kline's, they have the best custard ice cream i've ever had, get the week's special with the waffle cone or any of their milkshakes.

Nearby H'burg, you have a small town called Dayton's, they have a farmer's market which is pretty cool, you'll also see mennonites with their cool buggys.

Events or clubs, I haven't gone that far, go to church? lol. H'burg and C'ville is a college town so there's not really much to do.

What kind of activities do you like to do? Oh yeah, Cherry Blossom Tree festival I believe is coming up in D.C. somewhere in Spring, google it. And of course you got tons of free stuff in D.C. like the museums.

As per dating situation in a college town it's pretty hard once you're out of the network.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:17 AM
WTF

1 posts, read 10,039 times
Default are you kidding me

all the person wants to know is what is there to do in Charlotteville. what is there to do? go to the downtown mall, check out the University, check out stuff about our founding father, there is a bike trail somewhere-which is what I want to know and how I found this site... no one cares about your views on snobs vs no snobs... wake up that's everywhere not just in your super cool town that you apparently know nothing about. It's sad.

The first step to change is the one you make.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 9,321 times
I just moved to Charlottesville to go to school at UVA and I just wanted to tell you that you ARE SO RIGHT! I had no idea people here were like that and I wish someone could have told me beforehand because I sure would have gone someplace else. If I here one more person misuse the word "like" or give an airhead opinion about politics like they know something about the subject, I'm going to scream.

Thank God Virginia still has Virginia Tech to save face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Hokie 2007 View Post
Charlottesville? Most people spend their time talking about how smart they are and how expensive their car is. Popping one's collar is also a popular Charlottesville hobby. Oh yeah, drinking Zima and talking about how great their 7-5 football team is also is a popular event in Hooville.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times
There's the Dogwood Festival in April:

Home Page

Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 PM

28 posts, read 155,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
I'm looking for activities in Charlottesville other than shopping and eating. I just graduated from college and being from another state and out of the college network, it's difficult to meet people. Does anyone know of any events/clubs?
Clubs, there's a place online that links to different local clubs and there are several in C'ville. I put off posting hoping I'd remember which site it was, but, alas, no such luck. It could have been yahoogroups or craigslist or somewhere. You're on this list, so I assume you're tech savvy enough to google this.

Unless you mean clubs, as in bars? That's a whole nother thing. I'm thinking hiking groups, book club groups...

The best single thing to do to meet people here is to go to church. I'm not a churchgoer, but I've been welcomed at every one I've tried. Almost everyone here goes regularly, and it's a great source of community. There are a couple of Catholic churches here, too, and at least one synagogue, and even a Greek Orthodox church!

Other things to do include, as other posters, said, the downtown mall. There are good concerts here frequently at the newish John Paul Jones arena. Of course, the sports events are big. There is indeed the Dogwood festival, and there are others- the fair, First Night Virginia, craft fairs, etc. There are parks- McIntyre is pretty central. McGuffey has a lot of art shows. Garden Week is great Monticello offers classes and talks as well as tours.

There are also lots of places that need volunteers, and volunteers can meet the public

Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 PM

67 posts, read 269,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Hokie 2007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
I agree. What is up with that. Who told these kids that they were so special anyway?!
Their parents, apparently.

On a more serious note, I do agree with you guys on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville