Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,237 times

Advertisements

Ok so here is the story: travelling through Amherst there is currently a construction zone where the speed limit drops from 55 to 45 as traffic merges into one lane. As I was driving through here, I attempted to slow down and merge, but the SUV beside me slowed and I couldn't get behind it. So I sped up to get around it so that I could merge before reaching the traffic cones. The SUV sped up as well. There was a cop around the curve and he got me doing 62 in a 45. The suv and I were going the same speed and as I came upon the cones, I slowed to a stop as did the SUV - the driver waving me in front of him. As I pulled in front of him, the cop turned on his lights and pulled out of his spot. Both the SUV and I pulled over, but the cop let the SUV drive on and only stopped me. I was given a speeding ticket and a failure to yield ticket. I can accept the speeding ticket, I know I was and though I think the SUV should have been ticketed for speeding, it's whatever. I explained to the cop my reason for speeding and that the suv driver waived me in front of him, but to no avail. I am willing to prepay the speeding ticket (though my speedometer doesn't work at all) but is it worth going to court and arguing against the failure to yield ticket? Should I try to fight both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 07:43 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
The fact your speedometer is not working is enough to convict you. You might try getting it fixed and showing this to the prosecutor. If you're lucky they'll amend it to defective equipment. As far as the Failure to Yield you'll have nothing to lose by showing up and arguing your case.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:43 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Everyone at some point in their life goes through Amherst County and gets a ticket! They are notorious for "gottcha"! Happens to the best of us (including most of my family)

Whether to fight it or not depends on your previous record. First ticket? Or is this one in a long line? If it is the first, pay it, be done and learn the lesson. If you've got a long record, call an attorney.

Either way, slow down and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville