Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:47 PM

32 posts, read 180,599 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am currently living in Vermont (brrrr) and am starting my due diligence to relocate to somewhere a bit warmer in the East. I have a work-from-home job which I can take with me, as long as I'm within 2 hours of an airport. I've heard that Charlottesville is a great city and am wondering if there's some surrounding rural areas I should consider? I'm completely open and would love any suggestions that might be close to the following criteria:
- Rolling hills/lush land, mountain view if possible
- Fairly near skiing is a plus but not absolute
- Rural/country setting yet not too far from a cultural town with good restaurants/things to do for a single gal
- Lots of handsome men (kidding...kinda!)
- Spiritual as opposed to religious community/a bit more towards liberal/progressive than conservative

I need a place with 3 or more acres as I have a horse, donkey, and 2 dogs. Is it possible to get all this for around $300k?

I'm in my late thirties and single so don't want to be too remote.

Thanks very much for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 04:47 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
The area southwest is very nice--the rural areas near Wintergreen, Staunton, etc. You would be half an hour from skiing and Cville.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM

Thanks Badger...would you consider that area cultural/artsy/educated?

Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 PM

28 posts, read 155,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLou View Post
Hi there,
- Rolling hills/lush land, mountain view if possible
Yes! This is certainly one of the prettiest, most scenic parts of the country. Even without a mountain view, most of the area is postcard quality appealing
- Fairly near skiing is a plus but not absolute
Yes- Nelson, Wintergreen, Massanutten
- Rural/country setting yet not too far from a cultural town with good restaurants/things to do for a single gal
Yes- Charlottesville itself has what I'd call a country setting, all of Albemarle, but the farther you get from the city proper, the farther you get from "cultural pursuits" generally speaking (Barboursville has community theatre during the summer) west of the city is considered the most desirable area.
- Lots of handsome men (kidding...kinda!) I would say there are
- Spiritual as opposed to religious community/a bit more towards liberal/progressive than conservative
The city is. The county is to a less marked degree. However, churches are very easy to find. On most corners. Many towns in central VA have some gems in restaurants, or galleries, or music. You can hear chamber music, or a rock concert, or bluegrass. Crozet, near Charlottesville, has a wonderful arts and crafts fair.
I need a place with 3 or more acres as I have a horse, donkey, and 2 dogs. Is it possible to get all this for around $300k?
It is. At least, it is now, I think. I don't think we can private message from this site, or I'd send you some RE links, or our agent's name- she's good.

I'm in my late thirties and single so don't want to be too remote.
If you're too cold in Vermont, you'll love it here. It really is just wonderful in nearly every way.

Thanks very much for any suggestions!

Good luck!
P.S. Here's a place for you: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...590_1104303318

Last edited by deserthorse; 02-27-2009 at 11:42 PM..

Old 02-27-2009, 11:58 PM

Or, here:
1320 Old Lynchburg Rd (Albemarle), Charlottesville (Albemarle), VA, 22903 - MLS ID#452708 - Farms/Ranches real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1320-Old-Lynchburg-Rd-Albemarle_Charlottesville-Albemarle_VA_22903_1099033732 - broken link)
here:
5541 Free Union Rd, Free Union (Albemarle), VA, 22940 - MLS ID#444687 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5541-Free-Union-Rd_Free-Union-Albemarle_VA_22940_1089519603 - broken link)

Or board a few and make a few friends There's one in Afton (Albemarle) with ten acres and a cottage somewhere in this price range, but I can't find it now Maybe it's more...

Old 02-28-2009, 08:36 AM

Default Thanks so much for the info - more questions

Deserthorse - thanks so much for the great information, and the links! Its encouraging to see that I might be able to afford a place for us all there. A few more questions if I may:
1. Could you name some specific areas that I should check on realtor.com, and if you have any comments about the area you mention that would be great!
2. Weather....how humid/hot does it get? One problem I have here in Vermont is that the winters are long and cold, and when it finally warms up so I can ride my horse and I get swarmed by deer flies. I'm assuming VA would be the same or possibly worse as its probably more humid down there?
3. If you had to name 2 places that you think are the prettiest, with an open-minded community, where horse property is available, in or close to a small town with a nice shops (not strip malls) and within an hour of a bigger town....where would you say that is?

I'm going to plan a trip to VA to check out the areas you recommend. Are you allowed to give me the name of your realtor to call on this forum?

Thank you!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Deserthorse - thanks so much for the great information, and the links! Its encouraging to see that I might be able to afford a place for us all there. A few more questions if I may:
1. Could you name some specific areas that I should check on realtor.com, and if you have any comments about the area you mention that would be great!
2. Weather....how humid/hot does it get? One problem I have here in Vermont is that the winters are long and cold, and when it finally warms up so I can ride my horse and I get swarmed by deer flies. I'm assuming VA would be the same or possibly worse as its probably more humid down there?
3. If you had to name 2 places that you think are the prettiest, with an open-minded community, where horse property is available, in or close to a small town with a nice shops (not strip malls) and within an hour of a bigger town....where would you say that is?

I'm going to plan a trip to VA to check out the areas you recommend. Are you allowed to give me the name of your realtor to call on this forum?

Thank you!
LoopyLou, I use the Adam Team Re/Max Assured. Ask for Marjorie or Jacques. I don't know if I can post the phone number? If I can, here it is: 434-817-9573. They will help guide you.

Ivy is a good area, Crozet. South, west and east of the city proper keeps you out of the longest very intense traffic on 29. Earlysville and Crozet are relatively sufficient unto themselves. If you aren't from this area, a real estate agent to guide you is a good idea.

I'll try to post a little more in depth later

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:24 AM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
You can try Culpeper or Reva. The Town of Culpeper has a lot of nice restaurants and little shops, yet is still rural and has mountain views. Warrenton is also nice.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:30 PM

Hope this posts this time... in hours, probably three will show up
Quote:
You can check Charlottesville, then check the "within 30 miles" option. If you get to the east as far an Mineral, you're orienting as much or more to Richmond, and you aren't going to get mountain views. That and and the southern area, in Buckingham, and less Fluvanna, are the most affordable, and the most rural. More rual and less expensive = less clsoe to C'ville, though. But to keep mountain proximity, you sort of have to stay north, south and west. Roanoke and Amherst are other options (other than Charlottesville) Culpeper will come up on the 30 mile option, but it's Culeper, not C'ville. Nothing wrong with that, and you'd have possible mountain views. The Valley is the Valley. Anything real close to 81, you'd want to avoid. Charlottesville and immediate area is pretty desirable and so the "best" areas are NOT inexpensive. Keswick, and western Albemarle.

Actually, no, this area is great Not excessively humid, by Southern standards. But it's a LOT warmer than Vermont, for a LOT longer. The best thing about Virginia is the springs and autumns. They come early and stay late! The flies are not nearly the problem they can be in other places, nor are the mosquitos. Horseflys are the biggest worry of the horses. We DO have ticks, and plenty of them. Year round, this year. Lots of "critters" too. Skunks, opossums, raccoons. No worries to animal lovers, except for worrying about EPM.
Is there a reason you want "open-minded", particularly? I have found the people here to be very tolerant of people who are a little different than they are, but that might depend on different in what way. Charlottesville and nearby, within Albemarle, is about as diverse as you're going to get in a small city here. I have heard lots of good things about Roanoke. Charlottesville has UVa, which although it is a mixed blessing, it brings people of many different cultures, beliefs and origins here. More than a fe grads like it so well, they stay, or return later.
Good luck!

Thank you!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:57 PM

This is great DesertHorse - thank you SO much! I'm looking for "open-minded" just so that I can befriend people who are that way. I enjoy having deep & lengthy philosophical discussions about life, why we are here, getting to the truth of "I am", delving deeper beyond the surface of life. I dislike small talk and gossip. I also love to lighten up, have some glasses of wine, listen to some good music in a funky little cafe or bar. That kind of thing. I realize there's people like this in every place, but some areas more than others tend to attract them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville