Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:05 AM

93 posts, read 361,478 times

Advertisements

born and raised there, so I have tried and I am knocking it. lol.... the people on these forums are all transpants or college employees!! College northern influence change the main city but not the entirity of the place or its surroundings, the college and transplant crowds try to fake everywhere as though they are a majority. ' Your type aint welcome here', lol...l.Seriously, love the repubs or leave them, but dont come to poor mountain chains where averagwe folk are struggling outside the main culture,l to only find transplants and then live in denial happily ever after! THE END!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-14-2011 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 PM

894 posts, read 2,303,727 times
I am a local. Born in Staunton, did a brief stint in PA, grew up in Culpeper and then moved back to Staunton and now live in Charlottesville. I talk with no discernable accent, many times being mistaken for being from somewhere else. Or when up north people exclaim, "But you don't have an accent!". Or down south I get the cold shoulder for being from "up north". I don't like country, rap/hip hop, and detest bluegrass. I do like rock, alternative, metal, classic rock, and classical. I'm not even going into my thoughts on that old civil war thing that some on both sides of the mason dixon can't get over. I have no politics as either side is stupid and has absolutely no idea how to fix anything. The fact that politics has been in existence as long as mankind, and has the dismal track record it does makes me wonder why others don't abandon it too. I do believe in being civilized. There is no excuse for being obnoxious, belligerent, violent, immoral and etc no matter what race, ethnicity, and wealth you are.

I know others like me. I am not alone. Not everyone who is not a redneck is automatically a transplant. There are sophisticated cultured people everywhere in Virginia who just happen to be, gasp, from here. There are also your drop dead stereotypical bottom of the barrel rednecks. They are also found in most other states, including those north of that mason dixon thing. To use a political term, your intolerance of outsiders and transplants makes you just as conservative as the locals you deride. Amazing how hypocrisy goes around and around and around...

Old 06-15-2011, 04:33 PM

404 posts, read 1,090,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee77 View Post
born and raised there, so I have tried and I am knocking it. lol.... the people on these forums are all transpants or college employees!! College northern influence change the main city but not the entirity of the place or its surroundings, the college and transplant crowds try to fake everywhere as though they are a majority. ' Your type aint welcome here', lol...l.Seriously, love the repubs or leave them, but dont come to poor mountain chains where averagwe folk are struggling outside the main culture,l to only find transplants and then live in denial happily ever after! THE END!
I was born and raised in Charlottesville, but no longer live there. I do come back once every month or so, and have lived in Charlottesville proper, Northern, Western & Eastern Albemarle during my years there.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:27 AM

The damn college kids and yuppies from the north are throwing the votes off, TRUST me! Born and raised in western VA......the "people" are NOT liberal. However when you move to a college town, you get college people and if they have not moved from an "Instituational mind frame" culture, they have been trained to think by an institution! As we all know institutions (colleges and college educated people) teach you WHAT to think, not HOW to think. The "what" to think usually becomes hippy liberal and severly politvslly correct despite being VERY common sense INCORRECT. Good Luck :/ I know a good combination of intelligence/opportunity/education and COMMON SENSE most of all, is hard to find in a city these days

Old 06-20-2011, 06:08 PM

404 posts, read 1,090,452 times
Quote:
The damn college kids and yuppies from the north are throwing the votes off, TRUST me! Born and raised in western VA......the "people" are NOT liberal. However when you move to a college town, you get college people and if they have not moved from an "Instituational mind frame" culture, they have been trained to think by an institution! As we all know institutions (colleges and college educated people) teach you WHAT to think, not HOW to think. The "what" to think usually becomes hippy liberal and severly politvslly correct despite being VERY common sense INCORRECT. Good Luck :/ I know a good combination of intelligence/opportunity/education and COMMON SENSE most of all, is hard to find in a city these days

So you're not even from Charlottesville, yet your speaking for the residents as though they're the aliens?

Newsflash: It's no coincidence that highly educated and successful areas are overwhelmingly liberal (all over the world). Liberals don't infiltrate a conservative Jerry Falwell school and turn it from a knuckle dragging fantasy land into Harvard. Being liberal is a likely result of education, not a cause.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-21-2011 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:06 PM

894 posts, read 2,303,727 times
Quote:
I have my own issues with the so called "educated" myself. There is absolutely no amount of money that can buy good common sense that many so called "educated" people lack. But on the flip side, a lack of education is no excuse for idiocy and paranoia.

I don't care if you have a degree or dropped out of middle school. Just don't flaunt the stereotype of either as some badge of honor. I will never understand how rednecks and thugs(white and black etc) can be proud of the lifestyles they lead. And the "educated" flaunting their wealth and lifestyle is equally as annoying. But at least they are not the ones you usually have to worry about mugging you or breaking into your house.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:23 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,282,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbrian View Post
My wife and I are considering a move to Charlottesville from Fairfield County Connecticut. Part of the reason we want to leave the NE is to escape the extreme liberalism (and the taxes that go with it) that we have here. There is not much in the way of political diversity in CT, so we thought that a college town in the midst of a conservative population might be just the mix we are looking for...Charlottesville was looking like a great choice for us until, to my great surprise, I found that 80% of the population of Charlottesville voted for Obama in the last election! ...I'm sure that most liberals don't believe such people exist, but my wife and I are highly educated conservatives, and we enjoy true diversity of thought, not just skin color. A right-leaning "purple" city is were we would be happiest. We are not going to be happy living among rednecks, or 60 year old hippies

I find it absolutely fascinating that one would choose to just pick up and MOVE because they are tired of a supposed ideology like "liberalism" or "conservatism".

So you choose to move to what is basically a college town and are shocked to find it voted for a democratic candidate? And then you go about basically insulting it??

I don't know if the OP is serious, but if I was to guess, he's not. If he is, he would likely be more at home "amongst rednecks" who blindly vote R regardless of whether or not it is actually in their best interest. This guy sounds like the typical bitter teabagger who does nothing but complain about Obama.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:39 PM

11 posts, read 50,199 times
The city is VERY liberal. The surrounding county (most of the area) is pretty conservative. The result is that we wind up falling somewhere in the middle. If you live outside the city limits, you'll feel right at home as a conservative.

The downside to this is that it's difficult to get things done. There are multiple road projects that have taken DECADES to happen because the county wants to build a road, but the liberals in the city don't want to "hurt the environment" or whatever. The result on any project that needs approval of both stagnates.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 AM

digitis mostly correct. Outisde is mostly ALL conservative, so i consider the 30 minutes of "town"(charlottesville) to be college transplants, no matter what age!. College folk love to pretend that they are 'originals' and the actual originals and majority (conservatives outside) do not exist. VA will always be repub, despite college influence or DC diarrehea run offs. Amen

Old 07-02-2011, 08:38 AM

12 posts, read 39,895 times
Quote:
digitis mostly correct. Outisde is mostly ALL conservative, so i consider the 30 minutes of "town"(charlottesville) to be college transplants, no matter what age!. College folk love to pretend that they are 'originals' and the actual originals and majority (conservatives outside) do not exist. VA will always be repub, despite college influence or DC diarrehea run offs. Amen
You are aware of your two democratic senators, right?

Wow, you really seem to hate college people - any particular reason? As an apparently die hard republican you should be aware that at the very beginning of the republican idea Thomas Jefferson founded the UVA because he deemed it necessary to provide public education for Virginians that is not run by clergymen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville