Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:06 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times

Advertisements

For those of you familiar with both areas - if you were a 50-something couple looking to semi-retire, kids in college, enjoy restaurants, 'playing outside' and making new friends; which would you choose? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 08:11 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
For those of you familiar with both areas - if you were a 50-something couple looking to semi-retire, kids in college, enjoy restaurants, 'playing outside' and making new friends; which would you choose? Thanks!
SML is so spread out, and with not much of a "town center" or "downtown". I know there is the Westlake area, but that isn't exactly built to be conducive to mingling and making friends...more for shopping. If you are friendly folks, I think you'll make friends anywhere.
I think Charlottesville would be your best bet, as it has the restaurants, the "outside" factor, etc.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:18 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
SML is so spread out, and with not much of a "town center" or "downtown". I know there is the Westlake area, but that isn't exactly built to be conducive to mingling and making friends...more for shopping. If you are friendly folks, I think you'll make friends anywhere.
I think Charlottesville would be your best bet, as it has the restaurants, the "outside" factor, etc.
Thank you for your reply! Yep, we're friendly folks - we just need to meet them. It's helpful to be in a place where there is that opportunity. Thanks again for your insight!

Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 AM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Thank you for your reply! Yep, we're friendly folks - we just need to meet them. It's helpful to be in a place where there is that opportunity. Thanks again for your insight!
Sure. Actually...to expand on that a little bit...
C-ville has such great access to Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park for that 'outside factor'. You folks could run up there on a whim and picnic or hike or camp, even. You won't get views like that near SML. And remember that SML is almost the opposite of "natural beauty"...it's nice in that it's a big body of sparkling water, but it's a man-made lake, a flooded valley.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:36 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,943 times
I'd recommend Smith Mountain Lake over Charlottesville for a 50 something couple with the interests you have in mind! SML is spread out (500 miles of shoreline) but Westlake is actually a town unto itself with new retail/restaurants opening up every few months. The Smith Mountain Lake Association (Smith Mountain Lake Association Home (http://www.smlassociation.org/ASPSMLA/news05a_home.asp - broken link)) is 1,400+ members strong and the group is influential in protecting the lake's natural resources. Not sure why J1n doesn't think there aren't restaurants on SML. By my last count there are about 24 restaurants on SML and the number is growing.

For a time, I was on the founding committee for the SML/Franklin County Virginia Master Naturalist Chapter and of the 20 odd people almost half were from SML and all were in their 50s. A real interesting mix of folks!

Charlottesville would be a great place also and has a larger overall population at its core, but it's an entirely different setting so it's hard to compare it with SML. I'd recommend spending a week during the late Spring in each place, where you can enjoy some festivals in both locations and spend some time getting to know some folks in each area. Then I think you'll have your answer.

Sean

Old 02-24-2008, 12:28 PM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Not sure why J1n doesn't think there aren't restaurants on SML. By my last count there are about 24 restaurants on SML and the number is growing.
Wow! I had no idea there were that many restaurants out at the lake! My bad! You learn something new every day. Maybe I'll have to check some of them out!
I think Sean's advice is great...spend some time in both places and see what the best "fit" is!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 PM
j1n

Does Homestead Creamery count as being a "restaurant" and "at the lake"?

Old 02-24-2008, 04:00 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,943 times
I don't think so But if it did, it would be one of my favorite ones

A good many of the restaurants are located in country clubs, so they would lean to the higher end and not be terrible visible from the main drag through Westlake, but most are a few minutes away down one of the about a half million side roads around the lake itself (all of which are pretty neat if you ever get the chance to take side trips down some of them; you really begin to realize where all the people on the lake are hiding )

Sean

Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 PM

40 posts, read 193,736 times
When visiting Charlottesville, make sure to check out Glenmore and the Downtown area.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:13 AM

18 posts, read 82,560 times
Default Smith Mountain Lake or Lake Norman, NC??

If anyone has experience with both of these areas, I'd love to hear your opinionsl. I am married with two young kids (3rd & 6th grade)...so schools, athletics, good neighborhoods are essential. I would just like those good neighborhoods to be on the lake?? Which lake would be better for a young family? I'm coming from Northern VA - where the Potomac is my playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville