U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 04:03 PM

15 posts, read 29,137 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just got a job in the Staunton area. I am currently living in Richmond and haven't been able to find much advice as far as apartments in the area. I'm looking to keep rent under $800/mo. for a one bedroom. Move date is around Jan. 27 or so. Any help is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 05:43 PM

894 posts, read 2,181,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolsen188 View Post
Hi, I just got a job in the Staunton area. I am currently living in Richmond and haven't been able to find much advice as far as apartments in the area. I'm looking to keep rent under $800/mo. for a one bedroom. Move date is around Jan. 27 or so. Any help is appreciated!
Hello, I use to live in Staunton. You should have no problem finding an apartment for that price in town. Whenever I was looking, I just looked at the Staunton News Leader classified section, or Craigslist. I never lived in apartment complexes there. Personally, I'd recommend a house apartment if possible. Some complexes are ok and some not. If you have questions about some just let us know.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 AM

377 posts, read 797,428 times
Try "rentppm.com". It is a company called Professional Property Management in Fishersville (next to Staunton). They handle a lot of the area apartment complex's business.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 PM

199 posts, read 504,530 times
It depends on what you like. If you want an actual apartment complex, I guess Big Sky is the nicest one here. Big Sky Apartments, Staunton, VA - Home They do have a nice view of the mountains, but also overlook Walmart and Lowe's. I'm not sure what the rent is there now, but when I was looking back last March, I believe they were asking $825 for a two-bedroom. I live with my son, so I wanted more space than an apartment could provide. I found a nice brick rancher for $795 per month.

I found my house through the Staunton News Leader. The News Leader | Staunton news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Staunton, Virginia | newsleader.com

There is also a local Bulletin Board (like the Trading Post) that you'd need to pick up over here. I don't see where they are posting rentals online like the newspaper: Bulletin Board of VA: Rental Ads

There are lots of cool old houses here--Victorians and such--that have been broken up into apartments. Think of the Fan, only instead of attached housing, the houses are big and detached.

Driving around helps too, I think, and the town is small so it's doable.

Good luck with your search and welcome to Staunton!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the information everyone!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:39 AM

11 posts, read 33,599 times
Default exploring retirement options

I have been reading city-data posts for the last couple of years and decided it was time to start asking my own questions. I will be retireing in the next 5-6 years and would like to move to a place where the climate is much more moderate than central VT. I have lived here all my life and as I get older I would like to live where the snow is minimal. I have read many of the responses for the Shenandoah Valley and it seems like a good place for retirement. Climate records indicate that it doesn't get the extremes of weather that central or even coastal regions does. True?
Does anyone have any ideas as to which areas may be more senior citizen oriented? I like diversity of population, culture, education and spiritual practice. I am interested in anything gardeningand walking with mother nature. At this time I plan on visiting with friends in Charlottesville, sometime in April and will be driving around the area.
thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Autumnmoon

Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 AM

894 posts, read 2,181,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnmoon View Post
I have been reading city-data posts for the last couple of years and decided it was time to start asking my own questions. I will be retireing in the next 5-6 years and would like to move to a place where the climate is much more moderate than central VT. I have lived here all my life and as I get older I would like to live where the snow is minimal. I have read many of the responses for the Shenandoah Valley and it seems like a good place for retirement. Climate records indicate that it doesn't get the extremes of weather that central or even coastal regions does. True?
Does anyone have any ideas as to which areas may be more senior citizen oriented? I like diversity of population, culture, education and spiritual practice. I am interested in anything gardeningand walking with mother nature. At this time I plan on visiting with friends in Charlottesville, sometime in April and will be driving around the area.
thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Autumnmoon
Staunton might work for you quite nicely. Climate is a tad milder. It gets cold, but there is less snowfall. Some years there is feet of snow like the winter of '09-'10 where we got a total of about 5 feet for the winter. And then others like this year that have been more mild. It is normal to have at least one snow of at least 6 inches. Average temps in the winter are mid 30's-40's. I hold strictly to the fact that geographically VA is mid-atlantic, and as such our weather is very unpredictable. As I write this, we are supposed to be around 60 degrees today. Yesterday it barely got above 40. Tomorrow it's supposed to be back in the 40's. The jet stream usually hovers around VA and if it goes slightly north or south can have a big impact on our weather. Being in the western part of VA and higher in elevation, Staunton is colder than the tidewater. It's not unusual for there to be a 20 degree difference sometimes. Even from Charlottesville, a half hour east, can be a 5 to 10 degree difference.

Staunton however does not have much in the way of diversity. Charlottesville on the other hand will. The same with culture. Though the Shakespeare theater is very nice as well as the Frontier Culture Museum. Staunton also has a small college; Mary Baldwin. I don't know what you mean by spiritual practice, but there sure are a lot of churches here. There are a few alternative groups too. I have personally met a few Wiccans.

As far as senior citizen oriented activities, Staunton will be your best bet. There are many retirement homes. Right now they are working on or just finished rehabbing the old R.E. Lee High School for senior citizen living. It is across the street from Gypsy Hill Park which is one of the nicest parks I've seen for a town Staunton's size. There is also a trolley bus that goes around the area, so you may even get by without a car, though I would not suggest moving without one. April will be a beautiful time to visit. Perhaps you could get up to DC for the cherry blossom festival while you're here. Good luck with your decision!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 AM

11 posts, read 33,599 times
Thank you Shadowbat!

Old 01-18-2012, 05:32 AM

377 posts, read 797,428 times
I know Charlottesville has a Senior Center open to the public on Pepsi Place(just north of the city) and a Gardening Club that does landscaping around the city.

JMU college in Harrisonburg has an outdoor Botanical Garden on campus that is open to the public.

The city of Staunton as mentioned has many retirees and the city website and the local paper, Daily News Leader, list many activities around town.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Thanks everyone- ended up at Twin Mountain Townhomes. They had ads in the Staunton News Leader & the Apartment Finders Guide- 2 br/1.5 bath for $595. Nobody said it was always so windy here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville