U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,662 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking to transfer from VT to another state. We have been considering the Charlottesville area and have a few questions. Can you suggest any towns that would be within a 25/30 minute max drive into Charlottesville. Would you consider Charlottesville to have holistic options. For example, are there stores that sell organic foods, grass fed beef and are there farmers markets? Also how long are the winters? I have been reading that the area contends with a lot of ice storms in the winter is this true? Thank you for your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 AM

419 posts, read 849,267 times
There a many towns and small communities in the Charlottesville area. Waynesboro, Crozet, Ruckersville, Lovingston and others I cannot think of right now. They are not large. I would say Charlottesville has the most holistic options in Virginia. Well Northern Va. might have more but they are really kind of part of DC. There is a good farmers market in Charlottesville, and Nelson County near Nellysford. There may be more but those are the two my neighbors sell their grass fed beef and semi free range chickens so I tend to go to those.
Not sure what you mean by winter- Like how long is there ice and snow on the ground? If that is your measure it usually does not last more than a week or two before it melts off. This year I do not think any snow stuck around longer than 24 hours. Not normal tho. A few years ago snow fell n December and we had snow in the shade on the mountains until April but usually it snows a bit then melts then snows a bit and melts. Ice storms happen but not super frequently. It seems that C-ville is just a bit too far south for some of the power line snapping storms DC and Baltimore have seen in the past few years. I would say they are not significant. You may want to search the C-ville forum as there is a lot of good info there.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:45 AM

6 posts, read 19,195 times
I grew up in Charlottesville from 1989-2010 in a subdivision called Forest Lakes about 8 miles north of Charlottesville. When it comes to cost of living, you will have to go to another county if you'd like to save on housing. Recently, a lot of people I know have migrated over to Lake Monticello, which is about 20 minutes east of Charlottesville. The housing market there is really affordable, and the transit isn't horrible into Charlottesville.

The worst part about Charlottesville is traffic, since they have been in a 250-bypass war for the longest time, so your main means of travel north-south is route 29, and then you have route 250 and I-64 that surrounds most of the city.

There are quite a few farmer's markets around the Forest Lakes area and within the city, and from what I've had, they are very good. If running is of any importance, there is a very strong running community in the city.

My favorite parts about living there is what there is available in terms of food, cites, outdoor activities, overall culture. It's very diverse but very limited crime. Depending on where you live can also change your outlook a lot. If you can afford around the Forest Lakes and Hollymead area, or even Earlysville, I would check those places out. Throughout the entire time I lived there, the most building has been going up route 29, and they only keep on building.

There is not much need to go into the actual city if you live north of town. If you're on a budget, Greene County, which is the county north of Albemarle, has fair prices and then you'd be closer to the attractions of Charlottesville, rather than Lake Monticello or Crozet, which doesn't have much inbetween the town and Charlottesville.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions about Charlottesville. I would love to move back there, but unfortunately my career path doesn't have many opportunities for myself

Old 04-28-2012, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,662 times
Default Relocating to Charlottesville area

We are looking into the Charlottesville VA area. Are there any towns outside of Charlottesville that are family friendly and more affordable? We do not want to be more than 25 mins outside of the city. My husband would be working at one of the Verizon Wireless stores, not the agent stores but the official Verizon Wireless stores. Thank you

Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 AM

12 posts, read 23,845 times
Default Lots of options

I moved here in 1999 and would never live anywhere else. My mom just moved here 5 weeks ago from Wisconsin and LOVES it! We don't get much snow here as a rule, and it doesn't hang around like it does up north. It is also not crunchy and is not as easy to drive in. (I lived in Wisconsin for 35 years)

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-08-2012 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Please review the Terms of Service -- real estate recommendations are NOT allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville