Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 12:27 PM

178 posts, read 583,503 times

Advertisements

How long would it take to go from Standardsville to Elkton VA? GoogleMaps says it is 25 minutes.

....what about in the Winter with the hills up and down rt 33? Ice?

Also how long would the commutes be to Elkton from any of the other surrounding towns? (Ruckersville/Harrisonburg etc)

And how long to Charlottesville-one hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 03:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,669 times
That commute time is about right. I have a friend that commutes over the mountain to northern Charlottesville and there have only been a few, three or so, times the road was closed or being cleared for snow over the last five years. Its a great drive and more people seem to be commuting every year.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:51 AM

Thanks, so....since Elkton has very little there, do you think that is where most commute from?

Or the other end-Harrisonburg?

Where did you transplant from?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Oh, and also if you live in Charlottesville, do you know what their commute times are (of course if they don't work there) ...averages? It doesn't seem like there are too many other large towns around there...

Old 09-29-2012, 08:46 PM

894 posts, read 2,316,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Oh, and also if you live in Charlottesville, do you know what their commute times are (of course if they don't work there) ...averages? It doesn't seem like there are too many other large towns around there...
I live in Ruckersville and work in the Belmont area of Charlottesville and on average it takes me 30-35 minutes to get to work. When I lived in town right next to Scott stadium in the UVA area, it took me on average 15-20 minutes to get to the same job. It all depends on where you live and what roads you will need to take.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
I live in Ruckersville and work in the Belmont area of Charlottesville and on average it takes me 30-35 minutes to get to work. When I lived in town right next to Scott stadium in the UVA area, it took me on average 15-20 minutes to get to the same job. It all depends on where you live and what roads you will need to take.
Thanks Shadowbat....does Ruckersville have a down town? It looks more like a rural area with some neighborhoods and then a few new developments and such, but not too large, which is nice.

I am trying to finish planning our trip to visit the area for Thanksgiving weekend. We will be driving around a bit. We need to visit Elkton, Harrisonburg, and then Ruckersville/surrounding towns, and hopefully one day a trip into Charlottesville-although that is not mandatory.

Any suggestions? The hotel will be in Harrisonburg, since that is where we will enter off 81 South.

We heard that Elkton has a great mexican restaurant. (the name is skipping me at the moment) and that there will be quite a bit of thanksgiving-ish festivals and events that weekend too.

of course we will drive down skyline dr and get some views and hopefully take a hike out in the mountains also, although it will be short lived with 2 babies.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 PM

894 posts, read 2,316,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Thanks Shadowbat....does Ruckersville have a down town? It looks more like a rural area with some neighborhoods and then a few new developments and such, but not too large, which is nice.
Ruckersville is more of an area of Greene county than an actual town. It is where everything in the county is though. Wal Mart, Lowes, etc. No downtown, just a strip. If you had to pick a spot for its downtown, it would have to be the intersection of rt33 and rt29. Just a couple antique places and a gas station/fast food joint.

The only town in the county with a real downtown would be Stanardsville. But it is a real small town. I'd call it a village. It's the county seat, so the courthouse and county offices are there. Greene county in general is small, the total population for the county is still less than the cities of Charlottesville, or Harrisonburg.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville