Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:29 AM

7 posts, read 23,968 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband got a job with Augusta health in Fishersville, we r planning to live in Crozet, maybe old trail. What u think of old trail? Is it a diverse community? Any other good neighborhoods in crozet? My husband wants less than 25min commute to work.We have 3 kids ( ages 9,6 and 2) and would like to know what u think of Brownsville elementary and Henley middle school.
What are things to do with my 2 yrs old during the day? Are there a lot of moms groups? How about after school activities for my older kids?
We are mixed couple.. How diverse is C'ville? Are there things for couples to do there? we are in our late 30's.

Please respond as we are deciding if we should take this job or not. Any other info regarding both areas will be very appreciated.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 PM

35 posts, read 92,396 times
You should not have any issues being a mixed couple. Charlottesville is a diverse, well-educated area with students, professors, and others from all over the world. Lots of great restaurants, wineries, and outdoor activities in the area, sports to watch at UVA - it's a fantastic area. Can't comment on schools as I don't have kids. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:35 PM

Thanks for replying:-)

Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,865,794 times
I'm not personally familiar with the area, but the schools in Western Albemarle (where Crozet is) are generally the most highly-regarded in the county.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM

15 posts, read 46,159 times
I live in Crozet. Old Trail is one of the nicer neighborhoods in the area. It is very pedestrian friendly, it also seems to be one of the more well-to-do neighborhoods, so you will find plenty of well educated professionals from diverse areas of the country and world, but probably not so much economic diversity, very much upper middle class. Families with young to teenage children are a major demographic component of most neighborhoods in Crozet, so there should be plenty of company if you're a stay-at-home mom. I don't have children so I can't comment on the schools. As far as things for you and your husband to do, there are a few adult hangouts, wineries, and such in and near Crozet, but you have to drive to Cville for most of the adult stuff.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:15 PM

Thank you so much for the replies! Heard there is a plan to build an hotel in old trail..what is the community thinking?

Old 03-28-2013, 05:22 PM

15 posts, read 46,159 times
Actually, this is the first I'd heard of the hotel.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM

279 posts, read 483,771 times
Crozet is my home town, and a very nice town. Albeit I am one of the ones that wish it wouldn't have started growing in size. I really wish they never added Old Trail or any of the other new neighborhoods around the area, I prefer small towns and don't really like when people move in and try to take over and try to change things to their liking. But change is inevitable just about everywhere I reckon and you just have to roll with the punches. And yes they are building a hotel in Old Trail as well as increasing the neighborhoods size by quite a bit.

Most people around Crozet are fairly friendly though and it shouldn't be to hard to make new friends for you and your family. As far as the schools go, I've had several friends and family members attend schools in Crozet and they seem to enjoy the schools around the area, ( I didn't attend school in Crozet.) There is quite a bit of stuff to do around the area, Mint Springs is in Crozet and has lots of hiking trails, picnic areas, a play ground, and a lake for fishing and swimming. The Shenandoah National Park as well as the Blue Ridge Parkway are near by and offer lots of hiking trails and things to do as well.

As far as Charlottesville goes, it has lots of things to do there, from the downtown mall, the corner on the UVA campus which has bars and offers night life stuff to do, there's a bowling alley, a few movie theaters, places to eat, historical places to visit like Monticello, etc. There's Enough to keep you busy.

All in all it's a good place to live and raise a family imo. I will be moving back to the area after I graduate school in NC, hopefully to the White Hall area a little bit outside of Crozet.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:18 PM

382 posts, read 871,950 times
If you can afford Old Trail it is a beautiful area. You really can't go wrong with the area in general, it's a wonderful area to set a base and go out from. I live on the Augusta County side of the mountain and work at the same hospital. The two sides are different in some ways but just about anywhere around the area is a good place to have a family. I always recommend a realtor also, there are just so many choices depending on your lifestyle away from work. Good Luck, maybe I'll run into your husband someday at work.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:08 PM

I'm still shocked with how the housing price is so high in old trail. Its nice there but most houses are so close together n again so expensive ugh..We r going mid may to look at some rentals. We would like some yard and trees.
How long does it take you from Augusta county to Fishersville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville