U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:46 AM

688 posts, read 1,008,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving on up to C'ville View Post
I strongly disagree with Westbound and Down on Charleston being a good alternative. No doubt Charleston is a beautiful city with wonderful history, restaurants and beaches, but it is also filled with a TREMENDOUS amount of intolerance. If I had to speculate, I'd say its about 75% Christian (with a modest Jewish community and probably about 12 atheists) and of those Christians, the great majority is Southern Baptist. To your face, they'll be kind and friendly, but behind your back, in their homes and in their churches, they're far from it if you don't subscribe to their religious beliefs. I spent 6 years living there and don't recommend it for anyone who is gay. And in all honesty, in the six years I was there I have no recollection of seeing/knowing any Asian's (other than maybe those working in the food industry.) Visit Charleston... don't live there!

Cville on the other hand has a wide range of diversity and is much more tolerant. I also believe that living outside of Cville (aside from maybe somewhere in Greene County) is perfectly doable. I know several gay couples living in Crozet, North Garden, Palmyra, etc. I can't imagine your husbands ethnicity or orientation would prevent him from finding a job in Charlottesville.
It isn't clear to me from your post, but I have lived in both places and have experienced it the opposite way you describe it. I especially do not see and have not experienced the so-called "TREMENDOUS" intolerance (religious, anti gay, and otherwise) you say is rampant in Charleston.

To each his own, but your description of Charleston is ludicrous. And after 20 years in Charlottesville, I stand by my description of it as an unfriendly and unwelcoming place - what good is so-called "tolerance" in a place where people won't give you the time of day and look past you as if you are invisible even when you see them on a daily basis? You can have it...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,644 times
I've lived here since '94 (but moved to Austin, Tx from 2002-2010) and have seen the city of Charlottesville improve dramatically during that time in the residents' response towards gay couples. That said, it still has a looooong way to go. And that's in the city proper. I think you'll find more stares/discrimination in the rural areas. I would describe the vibe here as southerner-style polite rather than genuinely friendly but if you get involved in activities and groups you'll have a much easier time meeting people (or if you have a dog. Everyone seems to have one and are an instant community). Reading your description of what you're looking for lifestyle and interest-wise, I think you'd like Asheville, NC (or Greeneville, SC) as a better fit. Not sure what the job scene would be there for your husband though.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleGirl View Post
I've lived here since '94 (but moved to Austin, Tx from 2002-2010) and have seen the city of Charlottesville improve dramatically during that time in the residents' response towards gay couples. That said, it still has a looooong way to go. And that's in the city proper. I think you'll find more stares/discrimination in the rural areas. I would describe the vibe here as southerner-style polite rather than genuinely friendly but if you get involved in activities and groups you'll have a much easier time meeting people (or if you have a dog. Everyone seems to have one and are an instant community). Reading your description of what you're looking for lifestyle and interest-wise, I think you'd like Asheville, NC (or Greeneville, SC) as a better fit. Not sure what the job scene would be there for your husband though.
We moved to Cville in the early 90s, back when Charlottesville sat atop all of the "places rated" rankings, making #1 for a few years running. The influx of people who were influenced to move there by those rankings was noticeable, and I believe it negatively affected the quality of life there as a result, however gradually it took place. The Cville of today is less southern, less hospitable, and less friendly than it was 20 years ago, and if you speak to anyone who has lived there over that length of time, they will tell you the same.

Notice now that Charlottesville not only doesn't make the top of those lists anymore, it doesn't even get ranked, and for good reason. It has become a very expensive place to live for what you get in return UNLESS you have a high paid admin or faculty position at UVA or are in the health care field. Support and clerical staff at UVA typically have to live somewhere far outside of Cville and Albemarle County because of the high cost of housing - I know people who live in Buckingham, Orange, and even Richmond who commute to Cville every day. This negatively impacts any sense of community, leaving Cville a divided town comprised of the "haves" and the "have nots," and there is palpable class and racial division in the city, the working middle class having been forced out by the high costs.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:51 AM

7,839 posts, read 2,984,407 times
Thanks everyone for your input. We aren't really looking for any gay scene, as we don't frequent bars and don't really favor hanging out with the gay crowd-there is an extreme amount of intolerance within that community towards our libertarian political views.

Instead, we are semi-hermits who would prefer a few acres where we can be left alone and perhaps a place where we can operate a business or two and live a decent quality life.

With the impending legalization of gay-marriage in VA, CVille just moved up on our list.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. We aren't really looking for any gay scene, as we don't frequent bars and don't really favor hanging out with the gay crowd-there is an extreme amount of intolerance within that community towards our libertarian political views.

Instead, we are semi-hermits who would prefer a few acres where we can be left alone and perhaps a place where we can operate a business or two and live a decent quality life.

With the impending legalization of gay-marriage in VA, CVille just moved up on our list.
How about New Mexico, an actual libertarian state? A "few acres" is more affordably purchased there (say near ABQ) than it is near Cville, and the vibe there RE gays and gay marriage is much friendlier, closer to a west coast laissez faire attitude I have witnessed. New Mexico has a much stronger libertarian vibe than does Virginia, and it already has same sex marriage and is coping with that very nicely.

The more affordable the land an hour or so from Cville, the greater the chances are you have stepped into a hornet's nest of intolerance. For instance, even out at the western edge of Albemarle County (think Afton), there are a lot of meth cooking hillbilly types mixed in with people who have sunk upwards of $1 million into a home. Given the budget you posted, you will be hard pressed to be close to Cville on any kind of acreage, and only in the immediate ring around Cville will you find the tolerance, or at least the indifference, towards your lifestyle that you seem to think exists there.

Be aware of the underlying politics in Virginia and the strong anti gay marriage crowd entrenched there before thinking a Federal judge has solved the problem and everything is going to be hunky-dory.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:19 PM

5,096 posts, read 8,285,156 times
forget about Crozet...I live in CA and visited C-ville last fall as a possible retirement place. I drove out to Crozet and immediately turned right back around, thought I had landed on the set of Duck Dynasty!

I honestly didn't see any openly gay couples while I was there, except in a new shopping center where they have a store with clothes from Cape Cod (can't remember the name of the place off hand).

Check out Ithaca, NY website, where Cornell University is. Very gay friendly. Right on a beautiful lake surrounded by rural land. It is cold/snow in the winter and a bit isolated, but then so is C-ville compared to where we live.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 PM

21 posts, read 63,639 times
[
First, about us. As I stated, we are a gay male couple around 30 years old. I work from home, so that isn't a problem and actually another reason we are looking to move east is to benefit my online teaching business, where I would have an additional three hours to work during decent hours. Now my husband on the other hand is a Korean national, who just received his green card and his CPA license. Herein lies my first question. How realistic are his chances of finding work as a CPA in the area? I've done some research for jobs related to the accounting field, but haven't come across too many. Related, would his being Asian and English being his second language (he speaks very well, but has an accent) contribute negatively to him finding relevant work?

I don't think English being a second language is problematic; however, finance jobs are not abundant there. I am a CPA as well, and make far more money in Richmond than I did in Charlottesville, to be honest. Charlottesville and Albemarle County are expensive areas, relative to other parts of Virginia. It's right up there with northern Virginia, but since you are coming from LA - probably not lol!

Second, from most of what I've read, Charlottesville seems fairly tolerant, but we would want to buy in an area just outside of town with a few acres. Would living in a rural or semi-rural area be a problem for us? We aren't into a gay scene and aren't flamboyant in my opinion and mostly looking for a quiet life.

You won't have any problems with tolerance in Charlottesville or Albemarle County. You would probably love the Crozet area - it wasn't for me because I like more of an urban area. But if you are targeting a quiet, scenic area, you will probably like it. There are some shops, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. within Crozet. There is a Mudhouse coffee shop (popular in Cville) which just opened up in Crozet when I left. There is a tapas/wine bar in Old Trail Village now I believe. OTV is a planned community in Crozet. I personally think some of Crozet is an eyesore, jmo.

Lastly, the primary reason we want to be in a rural area is that we love the outdoors, including hiking and camping. We also are very into fresh/organic food and enjoy a sense of community, which is something we simply can not find here in LA. I've read numerous times that the people aren't too friendly to newcomers. That said, how realistic is it for us to settle in and be able to form a decent circle within a year or two?

I don't think Charlottesville/Albemarle County is particularly friendly. If you love the outdoors, there are numerous trails to explore, and the Blue Ridge Parkway is nearby.

Any answers to these questions and suggestions about possible places for us to locate are very welcome![/quote]

Old 02-22-2014, 10:56 AM

21 posts, read 48,566 times
We're currently living in western Albemarle County. One of the nice things about this area is that you can be in a very rural area, and still relatively close to downtown Charlottesville. I can be on the downtown pedestrian mall (which is lovely by the way) within about 15 minutes, yet we're in the middle of beautiful countryside. To answer your question about friendliness and tolerance, the presence of UVA makes this an international and rather well-educated community. Within several weeks of our arrival, we were invited to dinner at the house of our closest neighbor, and met a wonderful group of scientists, educators, medical researchers, environmentalists, etc. There are walking trails and bike trails virtually everywhere. There is no better place to live if you love the outdoors. As for the food scene, I have spent time in Santa Barbara, San Francisco, New York, and Vancouver BC -- and I think the food scene here has them all beat hands down. The Cville area is now a very credible wine producer, there are more farms producing fantastic organic produce and meats than anywhere else I have ever lived. Most of the people we know buy farm shares and get virtually all their food from local farms for about eight months of the year. So for all those reasons, I think you would love it here. The only issue I can foresee is the employment question you raise. I have no idea how difficult or not it is for people with financial expertise to find work here -- but I do know that if you can't find work, your next closest spot for finding it (Richmond) is a good 90 minute drive -- on a good day. So it might make sense to send out the resume first and see what kind of responses you get. If your partner was interested in opening a CPA office, I think Cville would be a great place to do it. If he is looking to work for a firm, I suggest you look into nonprofit businesses in the Cville area as a starting point. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 PM

13 posts, read 16,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
It isn't clear to me from your post, but I have lived in both places and have experienced it the opposite way you describe it. I especially do not see and have not experienced the so-called "TREMENDOUS" intolerance (religious, anti gay, and otherwise) you say is rampant in Charleston.

To each his own, but your description of Charleston is ludicrous. And after 20 years in Charlottesville, I stand by my description of it as an unfriendly and unwelcoming place - what good is so-called "tolerance" in a place where people won't give you the time of day and look past you as if you are invisible even when you see them on a daily basis? You can have it...

I could not agree more. I have lived in Charleston, SC and am not gay but I have friends that are. The description of Charleston being intolerant towards gays is totally ludicrous! Charleston is an awesome, friendly and welcoming city with a huge vibrant gay scene. Some people just make sh*t up I think.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:46 AM

41 posts, read 71,723 times
Thanks, Watchful. My partner and I will definitely check out Floyd as well. We would like to relocate away from the DC area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville