U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:25 PM

7,839 posts, read 2,988,175 times

Advertisements

We are a gay male couple living in Los Angeles, but wanting out asap because of the common complaints-traffic, poor air quality, rude people and a lack of community, but most of all outrageous housing costs. We want to buy a house, but can't afford anything here with the prices starting around $500,000 to $700,000 for a fixer-upper.

Because of this and other reasons, we are looking at various small cities and have our eyes set on Charlottesville.

My questions are the same ones asked and pondered over and over on here and I have read through all of the threads both here and elsewhere collecting all the information I can before we make any leap. That said, any additional information or assistance that can be provided would be much appreciated.

First, about us. As I stated, we are a gay male couple around 30 years old. I work from home, so that isn't a problem and actually another reason we are looking to move east is to benefit my online teaching business, where I would have an additional three hours to work during decent hours. Now my husband on the other hand is a Korean national, who just received his green card and his CPA license. Herein lies my first question. How realistic are his chances of finding work as a CPA in the area? I've done some research for jobs related to the accounting field, but haven't come across too many. Related, would his being Asian and English being his second language (he speaks very well, but has an accent) contribute negatively to him finding relevant work?

Second, from most of what I've read, Charlottesville seems fairly tolerant, but we would want to buy in an area just outside of town with a few acres. Would living in a rural or semi-rural area be a problem for us? We aren't into a gay scene and aren't flamboyant in my opinion and mostly looking for a quiet life.

Lastly, the primary reason we want to be in a rural area is that we love the outdoors, including hiking and camping. We also are very into fresh/organic food and enjoy a sense of community, which is something we simply can not find here in LA. I've read numerous times that the people aren't too friendly to newcomers. That said, how realistic is it for us to settle in and be able to form a decent circle within a year or two?

Any answers to these questions and suggestions about possible places for us to locate are very welcome!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 03:27 PM

688 posts, read 1,010,025 times
I lived in C'ville for 20 years, and last year relocated to Charleston SC. I can't really answer your questions about jobs. I don't think you would have any problems if you live in the first rural ring around C'ville (Albemarle County), but if you live further out in adjoining counties, it is like living in another world tolerance and culture wise, so beware.

Let me add some confusion to your calculus: I highly recommend that you check out Charleston. This is a very lifestyle tolerant / laissez faire area, and it is not full of the insufferable pedantic liberals you will find in C'ville. And people down here are MUCH friendlier than what you will find in C'ville - this is of course personal opinion, but the difference in friendliness is huge.

Nobody in Charleston cares if you are gay or straight, and I have witnessed more gay community activities here in the past year than I ever saw in C'ville (like an active LGBTQ community sponsoring public activities, the Mount Pleasant 5K run and beer bust, etc.).

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 AM

6 posts, read 14,530 times
I grew up and lived in Palmyra (Fluvanna County) which is right outside of Charlottesville. Most of my family still lives there. My husband is from Los Angeles and we have since lived all over the US.

I don't anticipate you will have any issues related to being gay in the city of Charlottesville. However as the other poster mentioned you could very likely run into issues outside of the city. I'd say specifically, Greene County, Earlysville area including Ruckersville.

It can be a bit difficult to find affordable acreage as well. Of course, I don't know what your budget. Over the last ten years Charlottesville has become increasingly more crowded. Specifically off 29 but, the traffic won't be anything compared to LA.

Jobs are fairly limited but, I can't speak about CPA positions in general as I don't know anyone in that field who has looked for employment recently.

Charlottesville isn't the friendliest of places but, it isn't the worst either. If you want to ask me additional questions, feel free

Old 02-09-2014, 04:40 AM

377 posts, read 798,154 times
Tolerance has not been much of an issue in Charlottesville it's self, there is a decent size gay/lesbian community there. On the other side of the mountain (Shenandoah Valley) it is growing, the small town of Elkton, VA in Rockingham County even has a gay pride parade every year, you would never think that in that small of a town. As always there are people that will say something, your husband will probably get more flack for his accent than being gay.

As far as jobs, they just don't seem to put much in newspapers any more here, online searches are your way to go. Take any local city name and put 'helpwanted.com' after it (ex. charlottesvillehelpwanted.com). It's a local job search engine for the area. He will most likely have to commute to anything he finds, but after L.A. traffic, he'll love the drive.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 AM

419 posts, read 840,965 times
How realistic are his chances of finding work as a CPA in the area?A good CPA can find a job with relative ease. Would living in a rural or semi-rural area be a problem for us?Charlottesville, most of Albemarle and nelson county generally do not care about your orientation and would welcome you unless you are unpleasant.
how realistic is it for us to settle in and be able to form a decent circle within a year or two?
If you are outgoing and involve yourself in groups then you will have no prblems but if you sit at home and expect others to come to you then it is not realistic.
I would look at Northern Nelson, Western and Southern Albermarle county if you want a little space- 2 to 10 acres or so. We live in Western Albemarle in White Hall and think it is beautiful and full of nice folks.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 AM

7,839 posts, read 2,988,175 times
Thank you everyone for your input-all the comments are very helpful. Westbound and Down, interesting input about Charleston, as it is a place I've always wanted to visit. I've also heard several people suggest Greenville, SC. To be honest, I've never thought about living in South Carolina, but I will look into it now.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:38 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,515,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Thank you everyone for your input-all the comments are very helpful. Westbound and Down, interesting input about Charleston, as it is a place I've always wanted to visit. I've also heard several people suggest Greenville, SC. To be honest, I've never thought about living in South Carolina, but I will look into it now.
Since you are looking semi-rural, you should at least read up on Floyd, Virginia (near Roanoke) - as it seems to be one of a kind in terms of having rural, progressive values.

Instead of a rural area that would "tolerate" diversity, you would find a rural area that would "celebrate" diversity.

At least check it out!! WELCOME to Virginia!

Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,515,909 times
Most of the articles about Floyd are more aimed at tourists, but you can get a bit of the vibe here...

Floyd, VA

Old 02-13-2014, 02:17 PM

939 posts, read 1,432,074 times
I've lived in LA and Toronto and I don't think Cville is as gay-friendly as these places. There is definitely a gay community in Cville but it's not as visible. I certainly don't see as many same sex couples holding hands in Charlottesville than in LA, and so it's almost like homosexuality is seen as something to hide from the public, as if showing any degree of public affection is "flaunting your lifestyle" (it's not: it's who you are). And I'd definitely advise against moving to a more rural area outside of the city of Charlottesville. People might not say anything to your face but they might be thinking about whether you two are simply really good friends or something more.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 AM

75 posts, read 227,078 times
I strongly disagree with Westbound and Down on Charleston being a good alternative. No doubt Charleston is a beautiful city with wonderful history, restaurants and beaches, but it is also filled with a TREMENDOUS amount of intolerance. If I had to speculate, I'd say its about 75% Christian (with a modest Jewish community and probably about 12 atheists) and of those Christians, the great majority is Southern Baptist. To your face, they'll be kind and friendly, but behind your back, in their homes and in their churches, they're far from it if you don't subscribe to their religious beliefs. I spent 6 years living there and don't recommend it for anyone who is gay. And in all honesty, in the six years I was there I have no recollection of seeing/knowing any Asian's (other than maybe those working in the food industry.) Visit Charleston... don't live there!

Cville on the other hand has a wide range of diversity and is much more tolerant. I also believe that living outside of Cville (aside from maybe somewhere in Greene County) is perfectly doable. I know several gay couples living in Crozet, North Garden, Palmyra, etc. I can't imagine your husbands ethnicity or orientation would prevent him from finding a job in Charlottesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville