Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,428 times

Advertisements

Good day All!

I recently accepted a position with my current company and will be moving to C-Ville in September (2014).

I have searched this board regarding recommendations of where to live in the C-ville area. Unfortunately, most of the posts seem to be by or for those more affluent than myself.

(Before any judgment or rude comments, please note I hold a B.A. and (2) additional certifications, and have been steadily employed since 1990. Do not make the presumption that my salary is indicative of lack of education OR skills).

That being said....

I would LIKE to stay within 20-30 mins of C-Ville, within my price range. I realize this will prove difficult but perhaps you can suggest areas that are "diamonds in the rough".

What is most important to me is that the area is safe, peaceful (quiet), and has basic amenities (library, grocery stores, gas stations, etc.).

I would like to pay ~$600/mo. in rent. I am open to the idea of having a roommate, renting a room in a house of a professional, living in a mother-in-law apt., cottage, etc.

Any HELPFUL, honest, and creative suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 06:06 AM

688 posts, read 1,101,574 times
Waynesboro...

Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 AM

29 posts, read 57,925 times
Craigslist craigslist: charlottesville classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,286 times
Not Charlottesville or Albemarle. Waynesboro, Fluvanna County, Nelson County. Greene could work, but fighting traffic into and out of Cville on a daily basis would probably get old pretty quickly.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:30 AM

75 posts, read 244,772 times
I'd post something on Craigslist (see link two posts above) and see if you can find other like minded professionals and find yourself a two bedroom condo/TH/house to rent. AND I'd consult with a realtor who does rentals (as well as sales) to aid you in your search. I know rental houses in my neighborhood don't get listed in Craigslist very often, but always get into the MLS which a realtor can help you with. I have a name of someone if you want it.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 11,258 times
We have lived in single family houses in the Frys Spring neighborhood for over 20 years - now in our third house here. We love Frys Spring - in part because it is diverse. The housing architecture spans several decades, with lots of cost and style mixes - and there is everything from high end (not highest) to Section 8 housing. It's mixed race, the sidewalks are freely enjoyed by folks with kids, dogs, etc. And it's not far from Uva (walkable) and getting to Rte 29 and 64 is easy.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,428 times
Thank you all for your honest and helpful answers.

I have been looking at Craigslist to price and prepare myself for what's to come. Thanks for the suggestion Moving on up... (And the name of the realtor would be great!)

Thank you coastn for providing a specific neighborhood. That is extremely helpful.

That being said, does anyone have additional suggestions for neighborhoods in CVille? It does not have to be specifically near UVA. (I will be working in the 22909 zip code area).

(I realize I will not be able to live as a single in some neighborhoods, so please assume that my original expectation of $600 would encompass sharing an apartment, house, etc.)

Last edited by f_amaris; 04-19-2014 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: added addt'l info

Old 04-20-2014, 11:15 AM

15 posts, read 27,462 times
It would probably be better to look on craigslist and post some locations of places. Some places you might want to avoid are Cherry ave and Commonwealth drive (sometimes listed as Hydraulic). I also see a lot of listings for Stribling ave. This road kinda of "dead-ends" and turns into a gravel road that exits near the Fontaine Research center. The end of Stribling near JPA (Jefferson Park ave) would prolly be fine, but I'd stay away from the "dead-end" portion. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:56 PM

29 posts, read 57,925 times
If you're working Pantops, any of the neighborhoods on that side of the river would be fine. I'd also recommend Greenbrier, Forest Lakes, and Stonehenge if you could swing a house/roommate situation (that's where Craigslist comes in). All are quiet neighborhoods near the stuff you say is important to you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville