U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 10:20 AM

9 posts, read 40,662 times

Advertisements

I live on expensive Long Island right now and I'd like to relocate to Charlottesville, VA because I read that it's a great town for creative types. I'd like to teach high school English but if I can't find a teaching job I might be able to survive on my freelance writing income if I go full-time via telecommute.
How is the teaching job situation there? Is there plenty of affordable apartment stock?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 01:23 PM

798 posts, read 2,631,535 times
teacher-writer,
You may want to move this post from the Northern VA thread to just the VA thread. You will probably get more responses that way. Charlottesville is not in NOVA.
I don't know about teaching opportunities but Charlottesville is a great area. It is a college town so I would suspect there are many affordable apts but, you may want to look a bit away from the college.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:44 PM

87 posts, read 115,506 times
Exclamation Charlottesville is a college town

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher-writer View Post
I live on expensive Long Island right now and I'd like to relocate to Charlottesville, VA because I read that it's a great town for creative types. I'd like to teach high school English but if I can't find a teaching job I might be able to survive on my freelance writing income if I go full-time via telecommute.
How is the teaching job situation there? Is there plenty of affordable apartment stock?
Who told you that Charlottesville is for "creative types"? It is just a college town. "Technical" writing jobs and positions as newsletter editors are plentiful in Northern Virginia, but they don't pay a lot. Why don't you just teach at the high school level in Prince William or Fairfax counties?

Old 01-12-2008, 04:50 PM

9 posts, read 40,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post
Who told you that Charlottesville is for "creative types"? It is just a college town. "Technical" writing jobs and positions as newsletter editors are plentiful in Northern Virginia, but they don't pay a lot. Why don't you just teach at the high school level in Prince William or Fairfax counties?
Charlottesville was mentioned in a a book titled The 100 Best Small Art Towns in America. It sounded pretty nice, and I am researching it along with some small towns in PA. I figured that I could drive down to VA for a week and research the area to see if I like it. I've been to Virginia Beach and liked it so I've got good vibes about Virginia.
You know, I always see ads for English teachers to teach at the Prince William area high school. Is it a good school? I am curious as to why they need so many teachers?

Old 01-12-2008, 04:57 PM

10,203 posts, read 26,340,512 times
Hello, teacher-writer,

Your post caught my attention. Unfortunately, the 100 Towns Book was written for tourists, not artists. In fact, I've queried many artists on the book and artist towns (see the US General Forum) and we've been all wrestling with the right place.

However, all that aside, Charlottesville is a nice town, and I have young friends who moved there from NYC and are flourishing, and love it.

Researching and actually staying in a town is the best way to explore and know whether the town suits you.

Good luck in your search and if you have questons about artists towns, please join the above mentioned thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher-writer View Post
Charlottesville was mentioned in a a book titled The 100 Best Small Art Towns in America. It sounded pretty nice, and I am researching it along with some small towns in PA. I figured that I could drive down to VA for a week and research the area to see if I like it. I've been to Virginia Beach and liked it so I've got good vibes about Virginia.
You know, I always see ads for English teachers to teach at the Prince William area high school. Is it a good school? I am curious as to why they need so many teachers?

Old 01-16-2008, 12:54 PM

40 posts, read 188,758 times
Default Nice little town!

I'd say Charlottesville is probably one of the best small towns I've visited. I've been coming here for the last 10 years and now have lived here permanently for 5. In my occupation (real estate) I meet a lot of self-employed individuals or those that work from a home office. We do have a very good arts presence. A lot of our economy is UVA driven, but I do come across folks all the time who just want a quiet place 15 minutes out of town where they can paint in their home studio, etc.

As far as teaching opportunities, I spent 3 years with City Schools. Charlottesville has it's own district (with only 1 High School), but the surrounding county (Albemarle) has a much larger area that's covered. Starting here for a job opportunity might be a good start:

Human Resources Job Openings

CCS Employment Opportunities

When I was at City Schools there seemed to be a fairly large amount of "new" teachers starting every early fall. Part of that has to do with Charlottesville being a UVA town where a spouse goes to Law School (for example) and teacher-spouse gets a job with one of the schools for 3 years.

Charlottesville also has a record number of private schools (for a small town it's impressive) so there might be opportunities there as well.

Feel free to ask any other questions, but like others said a visit would be of utmost importance.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:08 PM

97 posts, read 416,260 times
You mentioned also looking at small towns in PA--you will find teaching jobs much easier to come by in Virginia. And the certification/reciprocity thing is easier with VA.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 AM

847 posts, read 3,250,251 times
There is an arts community in and around Charlottesville. When I say "around", keep in mind that C'ville is in the country, and places are far apart. There are artists with galleries in Barbersville, for example, which is around but definitely a bit of a drive. I think John Grisham lives in Charlottesville. Charlottesville itself has its ritzy side, which means some of the cutest shopping is too expensive (how many antique Persian rugs can you buy anyway?) but also that there are super-rich people on the horse farms (farms with names, like "Rouge Mont") who, I would think, would create a ready market for local art of all kinds. For a small town, the place is charming and upscale and stimulating, and since it's surrounded by vast stretches of countryside, there are affordable places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville