Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:13 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,238,871 times

Advertisements

In my 3 year long project to research possible retirement destinations I pop on random boards and ask a bunch of annoying questions. So sorry in advance.

This month's project is Roanoke down to Johnson City, TN with stops along the way. Staunton looks absolutely beautiful but I seem to remember dismissing it early on because I heard it is cloudy with a lot of rain. One look at the mountains would certainly explain why. But the weather figures do not seem to indicate that.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:32 PM

210 posts, read 1,135,105 times
I've lived in Staunton for a few years now. Hubby's hometown. While it has rained more this summer than normal. It's been that way all over VA. I love it here. Any questions???

Old 07-24-2015, 05:18 AM

Thanks think I will. As for my opening question I get it this year has been unusual. I'm in Maryland and haven't watered my garden in a month. But I was wondering in general is Staunton rainy?

But I may pull the plug on this early, it appears as if there are very few golf courses. Unacceptable.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:41 AM

210 posts, read 1,135,105 times
Default Plenty golf courses

Staunton Golf Courses

Gypsy Hill
Ingleside
Stuanton Country Club

Heading East, Waynesboro which is less than 10 minutes away offers
Waynesboro Country Club

A little further, located on top of Afton Mountain is Swannanoa Golf and Country Club

Birdwood and Meadow Creek are both located in Charlottesville about 40 minutes away

Harrisonburg which is 20 minutes North offers
Heritage Oaks, Lakeview and Spottswood

Lexington and Buena Vista Va which is 30 minutes South has Lexington Country Club as well as The Vista Links.

Clifton Forge VA has Clifton Dale Country Club

Roanoke has many outstanding courses

Of course The Homestead Resort which is about an 50 minute drive offers several world renowned course

And the Greenbrier which just held the Greenbrier open is 90 minutes away.

Plenty of course close by.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:29 PM

Hi again everyone. Not trying to repeat a common question I searched the forums to see if this had been asked before and was amused to find I had started this thread. I don't ever remember it but I still have my original question and never really got an answer.

Does it rain a lot in Staunton? Is it often cloudy? I could have sworn I read that was the case, and I know from weather data that Harrisonburg receives a lot of rain and cloudy days. But can anyone help me with this? Still on my mission for a retirement destination.

Thanks

Dave

Old 01-18-2017, 03:15 PM

419 posts, read 896,349 times
No it does not rain there any more than other central Virginia areas. 100 days a year give or take and around total accumulation of 40 inches or so.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:20 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,501,973 times
When researching areas I use -

https://www.wunderground.com

I have found they offer excellent weather products. I check my target areas once a week or more.

Of note. Are you trying to avoid rainy areas or cloudy areas. Two different things. Case in point the Pacific Northwest. Some areas are thought of getting a lot of rain but really don't. But those areas can have straight weeks or over a month of 100% cloudy days.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:48 AM

3,111 posts, read 2,932,049 times
FYI..Staunton, birthplace of Woodrow Wilson, is North of Roanoke. I graduated from JMU..about 34 miles north of Staunton. We joked before that Harrisonburg was a rainforest...like September...perpetual rain sometimes. Chinese say take care of business in the rain, because the snow makes footprints. The Valley is quite nice....can get exceptionally cold there....four distinct seasons, with kind of a short spring.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
FYI..Staunton, birthplace of Woodrow Wilson, is North of Roanoke. I graduated from JMU..about 34 miles north of Staunton. We joked before that Harrisonburg was a rainforest...like September...perpetual rain sometimes. Chinese say take care of business in the rain, because the snow makes footprints. The Valley is quite nice....can get exceptionally cold there....four distinct seasons, with kind of a short spring.
Thanks for the replies. I too have heard that Harrisonburg is a rainforest. So since it's only 34 miles away it would stand to reason that Staunton would be very wet as well, no?

To answer an earlier question regarding clouds and rain I guess I'm asking both. My dad lives in the Pacific NW, so I know that drizzly for a week may not add up to a lot of rain but that's cloudy, crappy weather in my book. A place that gets a lot of sunny days, then an afternoon thunder storm in summer may have as much rain but that's much nicer weather to me. But I also followed links such as the one above that showed a lot more sun in Staunton than in other areas.

So I remain confused.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:54 AM

3,111 posts, read 2,932,049 times
I would say 40 inches per year in the burg, compared to 60 in Portland....compare that to some real rainforest neasr Eureka, which is well over 100 and there are stories of 500+. And factor in how the snow figures into it. I lived off campus and walked to class...the cold was really more of a hindrance. Wolf Creek Co!orado got 908 inches of snow one year. I live in Thailand, on the edge of a jungle and we get about 60 per year...but here it rains when it is hot....in Portland it rains when it is cold....big difference. I' ll did out this episode of World at War about Burma and the rains...I think they said two to ten inches per day..in the monsoon season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville