Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:51 AM

134 posts, read 517,991 times

Advertisements

If he went off to go shopping, at least he would be doing so with his own money. There's a rather distinct difference between spending personal finances and collected income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 11:41 AM

847 posts, read 3,343,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Dave View Post
If he went off to go shopping, at least he would be doing so with his own money. There's a rather distinct difference between spending personal finances and collected income.
Yes, that's true (or at least I hope it is. What if he turned out to be a pick pocket?)

Old 02-15-2008, 01:57 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,798,803 times
that is the point I was making. he was the one who was in debt at the time of his death! I don't think that he would take from one to give to another. that is why I consider him conservative. I don't think TJ was a pickpocket! he would just invent something that would pick the pockets for him!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
that is the point I was making. he was the one who was in debt at the time of his death! I don't think that he would take from one to give to another. that is why I consider him conservative. I don't think TJ was a pickpocket! he would just invent something that would pick the pockets for him!

Haha, very true.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:08 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,203,296 times
Way, WAY back in the day, Thomas Jefferson was NOT considered a fiscal conservative; his political archrival, Alexander Hamilton, essentially founded the Federalist Party, which championed fiscal conservatism (and a strong central government).

Though there are some philosophical (and obviously practical) differences between the politics of the 1790's and today, Thomas Jefferson would probably be considered the forefather of the Democratic Party and Alexander Hamilton would probably be considered the forefather of the Republican Party.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Way, WAY back in the day, Thomas Jefferson was NOT considered a fiscal conservative; his political archrival, Alexander Hamilton, essentially founded the Federalist Party, which championed fiscal conservatism (and a strong central government).

Though there are some philosophical (and obviously practical) differences between the politics of the 1790's and today, Thomas Jefferson would probably be considered the forefather of the Democratic Party and Alexander Hamilton would probably be considered the forefather of the Republican Party.

Yes, that sounds about how I understand it too, except for today's Republicans being fiscal conservatives. They seem to have given that up in the last couple of years.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 PM

16 posts, read 61,325 times
Default TJ and C-ville

FYI Thomas Jefferson was really not fiscally conservative at all and died with a lot of debt. His estate was mostly entirely sold off at his death and he left very little behind to his family. In terms of liberal, he was not this silly brand of political sensitivity that we know as liberalism today. He was however an extremely progressive thinker and a true renaissance man. So, back to the original question of this thread, if you are a silly liberal (c'mon - take a joke) you'll fit right in in C-ville. Plenty of PC people who think you're a redneck if you don't dress in expensive hiking gear and drive a volvo with a bike rack on top and a Sierra Club bumper sticker. The downtown mall is sweet. Lots of good shops and places to eat and drink. Great concerts at the Pavilion at the end of the mall and at JPJ Arena. Great collegiate sports (ok not for basketball this year). Housing can be quite expensive, especially for Central Virginia and for being a small town.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:47 AM

I wonder if the OP is still around, and whether she's liking how Charlottesville sounds? So what do you think, a step up from Harrisonburg?

Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 PM

59 posts, read 227,554 times
Dear OP: Charlottesville the city is liberal. Albemarle County is conservative. You won't notice much of either - it's not apolitical at all, and people disagree but are pretty accepting. There is a bible belt contingency in Charlottesville. There also are lots of non-believers. Shopping - I've lived many areas and while you don't find "galleria" shopping in Charlottesville, they have some very nice shopping areas, most notably Barracks Road. Grocery shopping is just like everywhere else I've ever lived.

What I miss most about Charlottesville is the stimulating conversation among friends. It definitely operates at a higher level of thinking, overall, and I promise you it's MUCH different than Harrisburg.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Oh yes, I can second that. Charlottesville is waaay better than Harrisonburg in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville