Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:05 PM

34 posts, read 91,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Irish Eyes View Post
Given that OP started this thread more than five years ago, I think it's safe to assume that she has decided on a location by now .....
My comments were exoteric in nature....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,133,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTurnstone View Post
The City of Charlottesville, despite its idolization of diversity, is still about 70% white, a dwindling 19% black and about the same number of Asian and Hispanic/Latino. (The City should expect greater ethnic diversity within the next few years as evident by the public school system’s gearing up for a large influx of resettling refugees as sponsored by the International Rescue Committee organization. .
What refugees? I'm not aware of any conflict other the in Syria that's generating any and one can be darn sure the feds aren't going to open the door to any refugees from that part of the world right now.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 PM

34 posts, read 91,607 times
Default Big Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What refugees? I'm not aware of any conflict other the in Syria that's generating any and one can be darn sure the feds aren't going to open the door to any refugees from that part of the world right now.
I gather you are being facetious with “what refugees?” Otherwise, I am unclear as to why you have not noticed the recent changes in City population. A big change is in City of Charlottesville public elementary schools – some now accommodates more than 25% non-English speaking students in the classrooms.

Apparently, Bhutanese…and individuals from counties that speak Karen, Karenni, Nepali, Burmese, Korean, Kirundi, Arabic and Russian…are considered to be refugees as indicated on the IRC Charlottesville website:
“New Refugees Arriving in Charlottesville - After a quiet few months this spring, the IRC is gearing up for a flurry of new arrivals in June and July. The IRC resettles 200 refugees in Charlottesville every year. Most of those currently arriving are Bhutanese coming from camps in Nepal. Bhutanese refugees who come to Charlottesville were forced to flee Bhutan in the 1980s when an ethnocentric regime instituted a “Bhutanization”campaign, deeming that anyone “not Bhutanese enough” must leave the country. Refugees forced from their homes fled to Nepal, but the Nepalese government was not able to integrate these refugees into its own society. Following almost 20 years in refugee camps, they arrive in the U.S. ready to make a new home for their families.” "...seeking community interpreters in Karen, Karenni, Nepali, Burmese, Korean, Kirundi, Arabic or Russian.”

Old 01-11-2014, 09:11 AM

60 posts, read 265,639 times
There are a little family things to do, but it's usually expensive and/or downtown which can be difficult to get to. Shopping is overpriced and low quality. We go to short pump to shop. Traffic is nightmare. They want to build a new road in place of learning how to effectively time a couple traffic lights on rt 29. We came from LA, which costs a little more, but tons of fun (and free) things to do. The public schools are hit or miss and are generally not great (check the ratings). The private schools are between 7-20K per year. I would move to fun city, not to Cville. It will cost you almost double than Harrisonburg, and still be boring. Unless you count sitting in traffic an activity.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:13 AM

60 posts, read 265,639 times
Oh and it helps to drive a prius with an Obama sticker! Do they give them away at the dealership?

Old 04-04-2016, 07:14 AM

23 posts, read 32,299 times
A big yes! I was born and raised in the city and have since moved away. I moved to the suburbs in Colorado. There is nothing here. It is a white washed, conservative, religious boring place to be. All the legal weed in the world isn't enough. I want nothing more than to move back. I miss the culture, the diversity, the acceptance of all types of people. I miss the bars, I miss the corner stores. I miss the music and the art. I even miss the annoying college kids. Most of all I miss my family. We plan on selling our house and moving back to cville this year despite the fact we moved here for the lack of fear for smoking Marijuana. I'd rather move back to Cville. Where honestly there isn't too much fear. The police force there seems to not be as concerned about it as the rest of the state of VA. It's a lovely liberal place in a sea of conservative values. A little town that accepts every kind of person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville