Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 PM

354 posts, read 627,397 times

Advertisements

Ok ive been to Charlottesville,VA A few times while I was attending school 30 miles west of Charlottesville in Staunton/Waynesboro Area, & I actually found Charlottesville to be a decent college town but what is it about Charlottesville that makes the city so expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:32 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,072,655 times
Ch'ville has been rated the #1 best locality to retire in the nation, by some magazines/ books.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Ch'ville has been rated the #1 best locality to retire in the nation, by some magazines/ books.
true that what is the economy like does the city have decent paying jobs since the COL is so high

Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
true that what is the economy like does the city have decent paying jobs since the col is so high
uva.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:26 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
true that what is the economy like does the city have decent paying jobs since the COL is so high
There are a ton of very high paid folks at UVA and in the UVA hospital; those salaries get published and posted every year, and it is jaw dropping what some of the people make.

The area attracts lots of people with money. Retirees, hollywood types...lots of people with money moving in to live the good life that is available to people with a lot of money...I often spotted Sissy Spacek and John Grisham at Bodo's...Dwayne Johnson (aka The Rock) lives in the area and can be seen working out at the Gold's Gym on 29 North...it has been a few years, but when they still lived there, I saw Jessica Lange and Sam Shepherd eating at the Chili's on Seminole Trail...these are the kind of people who can live anywhere they want, and they chose Charlottesville...lots of people choose Charlottesville, and it takes money to live in the best neighborhoods.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
There are a ton of very high paid folks at UVA and in the UVA hospital; those salaries get published and posted every year, and it is jaw dropping what some of the people make.

The area attracts lots of people with money. Retirees, hollywood types...lots of people with money moving in to live the good life that is available to people with a lot of money...I often spotted Sissy Spacek and John Grisham at Bodo's...Dwayne Johnson (aka The Rock) lives in the area and can be seen working out at the Gold's Gym on 29 North...it has been a few years, but when they still lived there, I saw Jessica Lange and Sam Shepherd eating at the Chili's on Seminole Trail...these are the kind of people who can live anywhere they want, and they chose Charlottesville...lots of people choose Charlottesville, and it takes money to live in the best neighborhoods.
Why do celebrities choose Charlottesville? Skiing? Hiking? Why?

Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 AM

894 posts, read 2,314,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
The historical nature of the area, abundant recreational activities such as skiing and hiking, educated(mostly) population, attractive scenic surroundings, other people with money, an easy day trip to DC, or Richmond, among many many other things.

Also there have been some famous people who have either gone to UVA or who are from the area who I'm sure have talked about the area to other famous people.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post

The historical nature of the area, abundant recreational activities such as skiing and hiking, educated(mostly) population, attractive scenic surroundings, other people with money, an easy day trip to DC, or Richmond, among many many other things.

Also there have been some famous people who have either gone to UVA or who are from the area who I'm sure have talked about the area to other famous people.
A day trip to Richmond? What's there to do in Richmond?

Old 03-18-2014, 06:48 PM

O wow so can somebody give me an example of how much rent a 1 bedroom apt is? Or maybe a townhouse

Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I think mostly for the anonymity there. It is funny, but people in Charlottesville are really not very friendly, and that unfriendliness extends to celebrities in a bizarre way - I have seen the local celebs many times in many places around town, and I have never seen anyone pester them for an autograph or a picture.

Dave Matthews owns a farm just south of town on Route 20. I lived in a neighborhood near him, and I would see him riding a bicycle, all by himself, no entourage, no buffer, no security - and nobody ever bothered him that I could see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville