Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 03:17 PM

686 posts, read 615,226 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Looking to move (back) to Virginia sometime soon. Been looking at listings around C-Ville and noticed a lot in our price range around the lake. Wondering if anyone had insight as to why there are *so many* available there. Is it because the commute to downtown is terrible? Are the schools there terrible? I can't imagine that's the case, but there has to be some underlying reason. That area looks so nice and the lake looks like a great amenity to have in our backyard.

What am I missing?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 08:38 PM

382 posts, read 861,318 times
I can give my observations, others may disagree. The area has grown steadily for the last 15-20 years and the commute that you mentioned is one issue. The road system around and to the lake has never been updated to handle todays traffic count. The houses are getting old and are at the age that everything needs fixed or replaced. It has an HOA, not sure how well it functions. It's a drive to get anything done, there is a Food-Lion (grocery) at the lake and a few other small stores, but that's it if you need/want anything.

I agree that the area is beautiful, if you can handle not being "close" to most things except necessities then it's a nice area.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsman View Post
I can give my observations, others may disagree. The area has grown steadily for the last 15-20 years and the commute that you mentioned is one issue. The road system around and to the lake has never been updated to handle todays traffic count. The houses are getting old and are at the age that everything needs fixed or replaced. It has an HOA, not sure how well it functions. It's a drive to get anything done, there is a Food-Lion (grocery) at the lake and a few other small stores, but that's it if you need/want anything.

I agree that the area is beautiful, if you can handle not being "close" to most things except necessities then it's a nice area.
Thanks for responding. Good point about the home ages. Many of the ones for sale look like they've been well kept, but I'm sure there are some junkers in there. I guess the commute times are a bigger deal to folks than I thought, not knowing the current state of roads up there. We currently live in a semi-rural area north of Tampa so I imagine it's similar, although here there is breakneck-speed growth right now. It sucks. Everything is being paved over and developed. :/

Guess I'll have to get eyes on the properties up there when we visit!

Old 05-30-2017, 08:20 AM

4,892 posts, read 7,384,304 times
We were looking at lake houses so your title caught my eye. I don't have any experience with Lake Monticello. One possible reason older neighborhoods, in general, are turning over - the original owners are retiring/downsizing because their children are grown.

Best of luck -- it's hard to home search from a distance.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
We were looking at lake houses so your title caught my eye. I don't have any experience with Lake Monticello. One possible reason older neighborhoods, in general, are turning over - the original owners are retiring/downsizing because their children are grown.

Best of luck -- it's hard to home search from a distance.
It is. I grew up a couple hours away from Cville though so I have a decent amount of familiarity with the general area, just not the lake part. Will probably check it out the next time I'm up visiting family in NoVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville