Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 04:22 PM

312 posts, read 352,057 times

Advertisements

I am a native (upstate) New Yorker who's been living in Virginia (Newport News) with my family for over eight years. I love Virginia. My heart is here. I love the weather, I love the landscape, I love the proximity to both mountains and the ocean. I've toyed with moving back to NY to be closer to extended family, but, truth be told, I just don't want to. I want to stay in Virginia...I just don't know where.

I have nothing against Hampton Roads. I love being near the ocean, the people are nice, like I said, I love the weather (yes, even the humidity!). But I want some land (about 12 acres), and I've always wanted to live in a small(ish) town. I also want easier access to nature. We'd probably be happier, overall, near the mountains.

We've toyed with the idea of the Charlottesville area (as we lean liberal), but it's so expensive. We'd like:

1. Friendly people with a good mix of viewpoints (moderate would be good, staunchly conservative would be tough for us)
2. Easy access to hiking, lakes, general nature
3. Affordable land suitable for small-scale hobby farming
4. Proximity to "civilization" (my husband is an engineer and needs to work on site due to the general nature of his field)
5. Nearby community colleges and (bonus) state or affordable private universities

Like I said, we've toyed with Charlottesville and the surrounding areas, but I'm not sure we could afford it. My husband's at a point in his career that he could probably work "anywhere" (a decent amount of experience under his belt, but not so much that he's priced himself out or moved into over-specalization). We just don't know where.

Just tell me where to live. I'll probably take your suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 08:45 PM

894 posts, read 2,304,426 times
I'd check into Staunton, Waynesboro, or Harrisonburg. Maybe Winchester, Roanoke or Lynchburg too.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:17 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,544,956 times
There are a lot of smaller towns around Lynchburg where you could get 12 acres (Forest, Goode, New London, Rustburg). I think it checks off everything on your list except it's conservative. I also lean Liberal and moved to the area about two years ago. I have made a lot of friends, some liberal, some conservative, but all good people. Check it out.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:22 PM

Thank you both! We haven't explored much of Virginia outside of Hampton Roads, so it's good to have some tips to go on. By any chance, do either of you know if any of the towns have active homeschool communities? It would be a plus if we could meet up with some fellow homeschoolers from time to time. Thanks again!

Old 07-29-2017, 10:20 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,544,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Tiger Moth View Post
Thank you both! We haven't explored much of Virginia outside of Hampton Roads, so it's good to have some tips to go on. By any chance, do either of you know if any of the towns have active homeschool communities? It would be a plus if we could meet up with some fellow homeschoolers from time to time. Thanks again!
There are a lot of home schoolers around here, but I wouldn't know which communities have more. But in and around Lynchburg, I've seen businesses have special activities on certain days for home schooled children.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:34 PM

Great--thank you so much!!

Old 07-31-2017, 11:39 AM

62 posts, read 69,737 times
I was in the area a few weeks ago and we drove through some small towns in Greene County, just a bit north of Charlottesville. It is quite rural and much cheaper than Charlottesville, but a very easy drive in (anywhere from 20-45 minutes depending on where you live). We particularly liked the town of Stanardsville, which has lots of farms. You might give it a look.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,491 times
If the ability to talk politics with your neighbors and not have to deal with blatant racism/homophobia is important, I would stay away from Greene County if you lean liberal. It's very conservative. So too are Waynesboro, Lynchburg, etc. I can't speak for Staunton as I don't know many people there. Pretty much in all of central Virginia, Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville are pretty much the only liberal places to be.

Albemarle County can be expensive though. If you try the southern end of Albemarle county (Scottsville area) or even just into Fluvanna County and maybe Louisa County, you'll find better prices and folks more tolerant.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:54 PM

895 posts, read 2,086,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cville dog mom View Post
If the ability to talk politics with your neighbors and not have to deal with blatant racism/homophobia is important, I would stay away from Greene County if you lean liberal. It's very conservative. So too are Waynesboro, Lynchburg, etc. I can't speak for Staunton as I don't know many people there. Pretty much in all of central Virginia, Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville are pretty much the only liberal places to be.
Seriously? These last couple of weeks have shown that talking rationally about politics or race is not something that happens in the Charlottesville area. Just finished watching some of the Cville City Council meeting....wow. I think that some of the areas that you portray as blatantly racist and homophobic are actually more accepting of others and certainly less dysfunctional than Charlottesville has shown itself to be.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 AM

407 posts, read 961,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Seriously? These last couple of weeks have shown that talking rationally about politics or race is not something that happens in the Charlottesville area. Just finished watching some of the Cville City Council meeting....wow. I think that some of the areas that you portray as blatantly racist and homophobic are actually more accepting of others and certainly less dysfunctional than Charlottesville has shown itself to be.
I agree! I'm from NY and have been to C'Ville many times. My son works in C'Ville and lives nearby. If you are not liberal, you will NOT be accepted or even allowed to freely speak your mind in C'Ville. I like Green county, it is more rural, and more blue collar than C'Ville....and more open minded if you actually want to hear differing opinions. If you go to Walmart and Lowes in C'Ville and then the same stores in Ruckersville....you can immediately see the difference, just from the employees attitudes and friendliness. I guess you can tell I am no fan of C'Ville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville