Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,966 times

Advertisements

I am a person of color (black) who possibly might move to Charlottesville but I am very worried about racism, especially after the incident that happened. Currently, I live in Nashville, TN. I have visited Charlottesville before and I really liked it. It is truly a charming town. However, I never really interacted with anyone extensively-I just had brief encounters with people and I noticed the town seemed very white. Can someone please honestly tell me about the racism here and/or should I possibly not move to Charlottesville being non-white?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 02:09 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,176,868 times
Where do the "racism" posts keep coming from? And what incident are you talking about? Racism exists everywhere as people are racists to some degree. Fortunately very few ever say or do anything to allow their prejudices to show. Charlottesville, unless you know something we don't, is not a city to stay away from due to racism.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:18 PM

7,179 posts, read 6,745,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
And what incident are you talking about?
OP is likely referring to this:

Charlottesville: 'Unite the Right' Rally, State of Emergency

Old 04-08-2018, 06:56 PM

894 posts, read 2,305,857 times
Charlottesville is an extremely open minded area. There are some close minded people here, just as there are everywhere. As far as the recent rallies, keep in mind that like 99% of those idiots were from out of town.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:47 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,378,860 times
I from NYC, but my sister lives near Cvlle. My interpretation is that it is very "open", liberal,there, much like manhattan. I wouldnt worry too much, however I am white so my experience may be different, but that is my outsiders view of the place.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:23 PM

34 posts, read 36,499 times
Default You have gotten good advice

Living in Charlottesville since the early 1980's I have never seen a single racist moment, anti-black, anti-gay, anti-anyone with one exception: I have seen many instances of anti-Semitic behaviour including graffiti at UVA and desecrating Jewish homes, graves and the one temple in town. But none have been violent.

The incident last August was ALL out of towners and most from very far away, like Ohio, PA and FLA. And if you go watch the actual video of the event on viceland.com you will see 100% of the chanting was "Jews will not displace us" and other anti-Semitic chants, not a single vocal attack that day was against any other race and the lady that was killed was white.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:20 AM

34 posts, read 91,699 times
Default Not everyone shares your sentiments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
Charlottesville is an extremely open minded area. There are some close minded people here, just as there are everywhere. As far as the recent rallies, keep in mind that like 99% of those idiots were from out of town.
(from ABC’s website “The View” 1/15/2018)

Transcript for Nikuyah Walker, Charlottesville's first black female mayor, talks where the city is headed
THE VIEW: America has made in race relations, we recently got an ugly reminder of how far we still have to go. When white supremacists and neo-nazis wreaked havoc when they invaded charlottesville, Virginia to protect the removal of a statue of confederate general Robert E. Lee. It resulted in the loss of three lives including that of a counter-protestor Heather Heyer five months after this horrific event we're joined by a woman making history as the first black female mayor of charlottesville nikuyah walker. Welcome.
NW: Thanks for having me.
THE VIEW: Welcome. Now, I think we were all stunned five months ago when we saw the "Unite the right" rally in charlottesville and you grew up in charlottesville.
NW: I did.
THE VIEW: And raised your family there.
NW: Yes.
THE VIEW: What was the feeling for you when you saw that?
NW: I mean, it was a scary time. You know, we were petrified. We didn't expect it. But the conditions in charlottesville that people normally don't expect they're there, they're ripe for that event to happen. No one thought that, you know, when I announced in March that the end result would be elected to council and then mayor of charlottesville but it happened and that took an entire community coming together and deciding something different needed to happen.
THE VIEW: And here you are.
NW: Here I am.
THE VIEW: You go, girl.
THE VIEW: John Lew6is talks about hope. It's nice to have some positive things happening like that.
NW: Uh-huh.
THE VIEW: A lot of people around the country think of charlottesville as this picture-esque Progressive college town. Uva is there and my niece goes to school and a lot of people were shocked to see this happening there. Were you?
NW: No, we weren't.
THE VIEW: Wow. Why?
NW: There are so many -- when you talk about -- when you list the disparities, wealth disparities, mass incarceration, health disparities, they all exist.
THE VIEW: Yeah.
NW: The narrative that charlottesville wanted to tell was that Richard Spencer and Jason Kessler came from outside. You have two uva –
THE VIEW: Explain who they are.
NW: You have two uva awe lum nye. That's the story that is not told.
THE VIEW: Spencer was a uva –
NW: Yes.
THE VIEW: No kidding? I didn't know that.
NW: We have to be honest to move forward and we have been unwilling to do that, even in charlottesville.
THE VIEW: When we talk about race relations, what needs to happen? What are you doing to say to people now look, we know what this looks like, we know what this looks like, we would rath err not lose any more people, so what do we as a community do? Are people having those discussions?
NW: Yes. I made the statement last week that I'm very comfortable with being uncomfortable. I suggested that other people get on board with that and that's part of the work. You have people who don't truly understand the mission. I spent years trying to work within that environment and then, you know, work outside as an activist pushing and when I announced in March, you know, my campaign slogan was unmasking the illusion, so it's back to the real charlottesville, what's the true story here. I wanted to spend a year telling that story.
THE VIEW: Thinking to myself like really, when we have to face ourselves and the truth about something ugly, we just don't want to do it. We don't want to be uncomfortable. I love that you said y'all need to get onboard with being uncomfortable because that's the only way things are going to change It was sparked by the removal of the city statue of Robert E. Lee. What's happening with the statue today? People are so divided on it. How are people supposed to come together? What do you think it will take?
NW: The statue we're waiting on a court decision. It's covered with a black tarp. And the coming together again, I think we have a lot of work to do before we can even get, you know, to that point. Of talking about what -- I think we'll come together when we do the work. And wn you're trying to have those conversations people want to stop it by my intentions and I ask if intentions are good enough for your family because if not, don't ask someone who don't have the means for it to be enough for theirs.
THE VIEW: Our thanks to charlottesville mayor nikuyah walker. We'll be right back.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
View detailed profiles of: