Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 11:24 AM

26 posts, read 28,319 times

Advertisements

Hi all -- I am driving north from Greensboro to NY this weekend and have decided to take 81 instead of 95. I have never been in Shenandoah NP so I would like to take a quick detour onto the Skyline Drive if possible.

The issue is that I do have some time constraints so I have about 2 hours to spare. Do you have any suggestions or tips on where I should take the detour?

Thank you!

GBTH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 01:09 PM

382 posts, read 861,012 times
Skyline Drive has very limited access points and may chew up more time than you think. The speed limit is 45mph on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, plus you have to pay for Skyline.

I recommend taking US 220 up to Roanoke then jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway just South of Roanoke, go North towards Peaks of Otter then take State Route 43 North to Buchanan, VA and pick up I-81 North from there. It will take about an hour just to do that, plus is free and a beautiful drive with views looking down on 81 at parts. Just watch the curves and the Park Rangers, they are strict on the speed limit.

If you want Skyline Drive get in at Afton Mountain (I-64, exit 99). Take it it up to US 33 and get off, will chew up about an hour also plus 25 minutes to get back to I-81. After US 33 you can't get off Skyline Drive until US 211, approximately another hour plus time back to 81 or US 340 North then back to 81.

Anyway you go up there on the mountain is beautiful, enjoy.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:23 PM

2,275 posts, read 4,011,548 times
Great advice from emsman.

The Skyline Drive is super-fantastic but needs to be savored. About half of your two hour window would be chewed up just getting to it.

The Blue Ridge Parkway also needs to be savored but you can cover a lot more at Parkway speeds - and the route suggested above is fantastic.

You can also get off and stretch your legs at the Peaks of Otter - and take a short walk by the beautiful lake behind the lodge without messing up your time schedule too much!

Plan a return trip when you can enjoy. We did the Skyline Drive as a car trip with the kids when they were little, and basically the 105 or so miles was a full day. Parking and getting out on the trails is so important with the Skyline Drive.

Blue Ridge Parkway has great trails too - but also has a lot more pulloffs where you can just turn in and take in the view without getting out of the car!

(We live a half mile from the BRP in Roanoke so we love it!)

Old 06-28-2018, 09:05 AM

26 posts, read 28,319 times
Thank you very much for the info and tip. Thinking Roanoke and a bit of BRP is the move!

I love the BRP and have never been on this section -- generally I'm only on it in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville