Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 02:19 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times

Advertisements

This wouldn't be a bad commute by most standards. https://www.ryanhomes.com/new-homes/...le/oxfordhills. You would also be a bit protected from the lefty lunacy in Charlottesville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 10:42 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,316 times
Lefty lunacy may be my deal breaker. Will watch the the new year.

Oh well - "Go west young man". I have friends in WY. Going to need more wool..

Old 11-21-2019, 11:12 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Lefty lunacy may be my deal breaker. Will watch the the new year.

Oh well - "Go west young man". I have friends in WY. Going to need more wool..
I was surprised by how many Hillary voters live in Gillette..she almost got 9%.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 636 times
I grew up in Charlottesville, my family still lives there but I decided to venture out west. Now I want to return but just like everyone else who wants to live there, the cost of real estate is just too high. So, a buddy of mine and my brother started a business where we bring modular homes into Virginia and develop land in an attempt to create an affordable residence. It's not easy. We are finding that everyone wants a piece of the pie and prices seem to spiral. I'm just curious, what about owning property with a manufactured home? I'm seeing that with a little eye for creativity and a few touch ups, a manufactured home can look and feel amazing. It's the stigma of the name "mobile home" or "manufactured home" that gets people spooked. But if the construction is there, its' way cheaper, and you can make a home than why wouldn't that be the way to go?

Old 05-21-2020, 10:33 AM

29 posts, read 15,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackett1130 View Post
I grew up in Charlottesville, my family still lives there but I decided to venture out west. Now I want to return but just like everyone else who wants to live there, the cost of real estate is just too high. So, a buddy of mine and my brother started a business where we bring modular homes into Virginia and develop land in an attempt to create an affordable residence. It's not easy. We are finding that everyone wants a piece of the pie and prices seem to spiral. I'm just curious, what about owning property with a manufactured home? I'm seeing that with a little eye for creativity and a few touch ups, a manufactured home can look and feel amazing. It's the stigma of the name "mobile home" or "manufactured home" that gets people spooked. But if the construction is there, its' way cheaper, and you can make a home than why wouldn't that be the way to go?

Like all else, Albemarle County wants its cut. I've only been up here since last July, and here's what I see: lots of townhomes and apartments being built, because cramming more people into less overvalued space artificially increases the "value" of standalone homes, all of which increases the tax base for all the all their social programs and to line the pockets of politicians and their cronies. And it's not just Albemarle County. But I digress...

My husband and I have had doublewides and modulars in the past. They can be nice, if taped and textured and properly installed on a permanent foundation. We actually went out and looked at the Clayton homes a few weeks ago but we were not impressed with construction and materials for the prices they were asking just for the home, and then there's the matter of finding land and paying for transportation, setting, and utilities installation. By the time it's all said and done you're paying almost as much for the nicer mobile/modular homes as you would be for a site-built house, so any "savings" is mostly lost and you have something that won't give you the same equity as a site-built house will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
View detailed profiles of: