Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 08:54 AM

407 posts, read 966,408 times

Advertisements

I live on Long Island, NY. My son lives near Charlottesville, and he and his wife just had a baby...our first Grand Child. My wife, daughter and I plan a move to Charlottesville....we have been there many times, so we do know the different areas. We have a few houses in consideration, some within the City lines, some just outside.
What I would like to know is exactly how living within the city limits is good or bad, tax wise, services wise etc. I will listen to all advice, good or bad THANK YOU ALL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 01:00 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Fastening my seatbelt and popping the popcorn for this one!!!!

Old 02-13-2020, 03:03 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
If you like living where politicians and college administrators like handing out the most inane decisions then live in the city. Years ago I would have gladly Moved to Charlottesville (area) but it started changing several years back and not a chance now. And before you assume. Yes, I am a conservative but I am a moderate who is quite capable of seeing both sides.

While it has been reinstated due to the uproar it was still stupid to begin with: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ic-by-students

And even goofier: https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...its-too-scary/

Old 02-13-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
If you like living where politicians and college administrators like handing out the most inane decisions then live in the city. Years ago I would have gladly Moved to Charlottesville (area) but it started changing several years back and not a chance now. And before you assume. Yes, I am a conservative but I am a moderate who is quite capable of seeing both sides.

While it has been reinstated due to the uproar it was still stupid to begin with: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ic-by-students

And even goofier: https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...its-too-scary/
Thanks....I had recently seen both those stories, in fact, I had mentioned them to my son who works in C'Ville. I am aware of the political situation there, and I am definitely conservative leaning...ie: I consider myself a JFK Democrat....so yeah....I'm Republican now I grew up in NYC, was a teen during the "dirty 70's" as it was known back then. I've seen liberal politicians ruin NYC starting in the 60's.....so I'm used to it. And I've seen NYC go right back to those bad old times currently. But, I do not get into politics and I am very libertarian in many ways, so to each his/her own.
If it were me alone, I would not move within the city limits, but I have family that needs services (buses, and other things) so it might make sense for us to be in within the City Limits. We also like to walk, and want to be able to walk to some stores, etc.
I'm truly just curious about the costs associated with living in the City. I've looked things up, but prefer hearing from real people...I guess I'm old school like that.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Fastening my seatbelt and popping the popcorn for this one!!!!
Thanks.....I've been on this forum a long time, so I do get what you are saying. I just don't get into all that stuff, and I also don't get "butt hurt" if someone has something negative to say. So, we'll see what happens....maybe I'll get some real info here, you never know.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:34 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
Thanks....I had recently seen both those stories, in fact, I had mentioned them to my son who works in C'Ville. I am aware of the political situation there, and I am definitely conservative leaning...ie: I consider myself a JFK Democrat....so yeah....I'm Republican now I grew up in NYC, was a teen during the "dirty 70's" as it was known back then. I've seen liberal politicians ruin NYC starting in the 60's.....so I'm used to it. And I've seen NYC go right back to those bad old times currently. But, I do not get into politics and I am very libertarian in many ways, so to each his/her own.
If it were me alone, I would not move within the city limits, but I have family that needs services (buses, and other things) so it might make sense for us to be in within the City Limits. We also like to walk, and want to be able to walk to some stores, etc.
I'm truly just curious about the costs associated with living in the City. I've looked things up, but prefer hearing from real people...I guess I'm old school like that.
I can't address the costs very well so will leave it for others. There is much good about the city. I just hate seeing what's happened to it politically. But good luck whatever decision you make.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:52 AM

When we were looking at moving from Texas to Virginia, I eventually eliminated C'ville from our list mainly due to cost of housing. (Coming from Long Island, that might not be a problem!)

Old 02-14-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
When we were looking at moving from Texas to Virginia, I eventually eliminated C'ville from our list mainly due to cost of housing. (Coming from Long Island, that might not be a problem!)
True!!! A reasonably nice house in C'Ville is definitely more expensive than many areas down there.....my current LI home is less than most we are looking at, and they are pretty much the same homes. RE Taxes would be approx. half of what I pay now, and I am including the tax on cars (we have 2). So taxes are less, and that kind of makes up the difference for us. Gas for the car is a little less. Food prices seem a bit higher than my current area. I appreciate the response.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:32 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Charlottesville would be very low on my list of places to live, at any budget. Scenery is average, climate below average, COL above average. I loved living in Harrisonburg, as a student, but there is really nothing remarkable about it, either. Foodie scene is bland and boring in both. My parents live in Orange, and there is a good Food Lion, but almost nothing else. Not a fan of the Walmart at Zion Crossing, either.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Charlottesville would be very low on my list of places to live, at any budget. Scenery is average, climate below average, COL above average. I loved living in Harrisonburg, as a student, but there is really nothing remarkable about it, either. Foodie scene is bland and boring in both. My parents live in Orange, and there is a good Food Lion, but almost nothing else. Not a fan of the Walmart at Zion Crossing, either.
OK you have convinced me to go check out that Walmart so I can see for myself!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville