Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 10:03 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move when I retire (my husband is already retired). We're in our 60s and currently live in a burb of Charleston, SC. Although we like it here enough, the hurricanes are wearing on us and we can't see doing this boarding up thing and evacuating every year when we are older. There's more to it than that, the best hospital here doesn't take our insurance, and a few other things that are causing us to consider a move.

We're pretty low key - love spending time walking our dog, going downtown and browsing in the bookstore or the library, taking in a movie or dinner out now and then. We're not big shoppers, just need the basics. Love history and exploring, and being in a place that would allow travel to other places for long weekends or even day trips. The Amtrack train to DC and Richmond is a major plus. What airport do most people fly out of (we intend to fly home now and then to Boston)?

We love going to farms and getting fresh food, farmers markets, love places with casual live music (there was a pub at home that used to have live music a couple nights a week. We loved walking downtown, having a Guinness, and listening to the music). Our hometown (Newburyport, MA) was very artsy with things going on all the time. We loved that.

We're looking for the following in a new place - I've perused the CVB web site and others and Charlottesville seems to have a lot going for it, including beautiful scenery.

Good Hospitals - Looks like U of VA Medical is top notch
Culture (festivals, galleries, theater, concerts, movie theaters) - seems to be a lot to do!
Food (Farm to table, organic food, farmers markets) - prefer independent restaurants vs chains
Weather (like 4 seasons but a mild winter, w/no frequent hurricanes, tornadoes, floods)
Shopping - (other than Whole Foods, Lowes, CVS, Costco prefer independent shops) - seems all the basics and more
Visually Pleasing Landscape - looks gorgeous!
Health-Focused and Environmentally Aware (not a lot of smoking, care taken to preserve the environment)
Friendly Vibe (everyone gets along, not a lot of racial tension)
Good Vet Care with a 24Hr Vet
Low Crime - or more thefts than murders and home break-ins and robberies

What are things that we should know that may be hard to see just looking at the surface level (things you find out once you've lived somewhere for a bit)? I know that taxes are higher as is RE and crime than where we live now. That's definitely a consideration. Are there some areas that are better than others if one wanted to feel safe out walking a dog alone at night? We'd most likely want a condo or townhouse not too far from downtown if that's even possible. We'd really like to find a neighborhood with sidewalks to make walking our dog safer.

I'm curious about the weather. I know that it snows there - how much? Are there frequent ice storms which make walking/driving difficult? How long does winter last? We'd like not to have as much snow as we had in MA and would rather have snow than ice. Does the sun shine even in winter? That's one thing I do love here - other than during rainstorms the sun is always out.

Also curious about the snakes. There are a ton of Copperhead snakes here. I knew there were snakes but didn't know that they were "residential" - in yards, on porches, in driveways, on the sidewalk here. Having grown up in New England it's unnerving and sometimes exhausting to constantly have to watch where we step. No more gardening for me either, which I used to love.

We have an older dog with some health issues, so good vet care is important to us. We have an outstanding 24ER Vet Hospital here with advanced equipment like a hyperbaric chamber. Are there good 24hr vets there?

We've been once but it was a very short visit. Once COVID has settled down we want to come out and really spend some time exploring. Any comments - good and bad - would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 02:14 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Wow. Lots to try and answer. First off, crime is not an issue although there is crime. Find a good neighborhood and your chances of becoming a victim is very slim although they never go to zero, even in gated communities.

As fas as snow. It is hit or miss here. We had no measurable snow this past winter and the last "big" snow was in 2016. Ice can be an issue but it's not like it happens all the time. You just can't predict this. And yes, we see plenty of sunshine in the winter. Winter seemed to drag on a little too long this year with colder wind and temps into May but we had some warm and even hot weather in April. Warm weather sometimes come in too early which I hate. Springs here can be some of the most enjoyable you'll ever experience.

Vet care is good in the area so no issues there.

We have Copperheads and I live in the country surrounded by farms all over the area. I cannot remember the last Copper head I saw. We do see Black snakes in warmer weather which are beneficial so they get a pass.

Might be a little off-putting to you but C'ville has become a little too liberal for my tastes but I am not anti-liberal at all. I just don't like some of the things coming for the city council or UVA's top brass. That said. Still a nice place to both visit and live.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:55 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Charlottesville and the surrounding towns are very attractive. And this city should fully meet your hit list.

But I warn you the "Virginia is for Lovers."

Old 05-18-2020, 03:05 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Charlottesville and the surrounding towns are very attractive. And this city should fully meet your hit list.

But I warn you the "Virginia is for Lovers."

Okay, curious.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:07 AM

407 posts, read 966,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Wow. Lots to try and answer. First off, crime is not an issue although there is crime. Find a good neighborhood and your chances of becoming a victim is very slim although they never go to zero, even in gated communities.

As fas as snow. It is hit or miss here. We had no measurable snow this past winter and the last "big" snow was in 2016. Ice can be an issue but it's not like it happens all the time. You just can't predict this. And yes, we see plenty of sunshine in the winter. Winter seemed to drag on a little too long this year with colder wind and temps into May but we had some warm and even hot weather in April. Warm weather sometimes come in too early which I hate. Springs here can be some of the most enjoyable you'll ever experience.

Vet care is good in the area so no issues there.

We have Copperheads and I live in the country surrounded by farms all over the area. I cannot remember the last Copper head I saw. We do see Black snakes in warmer weather which are beneficial so they get a pass.

Might be a little off-putting to you but C'ville has become a little too liberal for my tastes but I am not anti-liberal at all. I just don't like some of the things coming for the city council or UVA's top brass. That said. Still a nice place to both visit and live.
Listen to Bigfoot424! I agree exactly with everything he said. I live in NY (Long Island) and will be moving to C'Ville soon because my son and new Grandchild is nearby. I have been there MANY times, in fact I'd be there already, but Covid19 kept me in NY for longer than I wanted to be here. I've never seen Copperheads, but I'm sure they are in the more rural parts, there are black snakes around. It is more humid than where I am, but you're probably more used to that than I am. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:12 AM

Thank you all. We're looking forward to our visit!

We would be renting initially, maybe long term. Are there any nice, newer apartment complexes that would allow us to walk to the downtown mall area?

Old 05-21-2020, 03:45 AM

Does anyone know of these apartments or can tell me which of these are the better location?

1) City Walk - 1111 E. Water Street
2) 525 Ridge - 525 Ridge Street
3) Six Hundred West - 600 West Main Street

Old 05-21-2020, 04:10 PM

382 posts, read 867,243 times
Ridge St.-NO. It's on the edge of the regentrification area and not far from a notorious bad apartment complex and the bad areas off of 5th Street Extended.

600 West Main- Will put you almost exactly halfway between UVA hospital/edge of campus and Downtown Mall. Very busy street.

East Water- Is currently doing major new construction and regentrification in that area. New condos and apartments along with small businesses. Only problem is it's right along the railroad tracks, however, the trains are speed restricted and cannot sound their horns.

On a side note, parking sucks. For a small city the parking resembles a big city.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsman View Post
Ridge St.-NO. It's on the edge of the regentrification area and not far from a notorious bad apartment complex and the bad areas off of 5th Street Extended.

600 West Main- Will put you almost exactly halfway between UVA hospital/edge of campus and Downtown Mall. Very busy street.

East Water- Is currently doing major new construction and regentrification in that area. New condos and apartments along with small businesses. Only problem is it's right along the railroad tracks, however, the trains are speed restricted and cannot sound their horns.

On a side note, parking sucks. For a small city the parking resembles a big city.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and for your honesty.

Could you recommend areas of Charlottesville proper that we might look at instead? We are seeking safety above all else, in a nice area that a woman would feel comfortable walking a dog alone at night.

A plus would be close to town - short drive, with easy access (I heard stay away from 29) and close by shopping for groceries, etc.

Thank you again. Please feel free to PM me.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:12 AM

382 posts, read 867,243 times
Your areas 'proper' will be limited in my opinion. The area from West Main St. heading East to Downtown and from Monticello Ave. North to about old Martha Jefferson Hospital will be where most of the 'centralizied' large apartments/townhomes will be.

There are some newer townhomes off of 5th Street Extended between Cherry Ave. & the City Limits. They are near the edge of a lesser desired area but it's changing slowly.

There are multiple, large complexes (Eagles Landing, Cavalier Crossing, and more) just South of I-64 off exit 120 (5th Street Extended). There is a large, newer shopping complex on the other side of 64 with everything you need. The County police department headquarters is across the street (5th St.). The only problem with these are they are popular with the college students during the school year, although I've not heard of many problems. Some of these complexes have their own shuttle busses, not sure how they work though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville