Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 08:14 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Article in yesterday’s paper — since defunding the police and stopping important crime prevent policies, we’ve had 250 shooting incidents this year — the most ever.
Some will still defend the city being a great place to live. But I maintain a friendship with a couple officers I've trained and there is practically no one that has their pulse on an area like active duty LEO's. One maintains he and his family and moving well away from C'ville the day he hits age 50 and can retire on VRS. Sooner if he finds the right paying VRS job that will start him at a salary in line with what he makes now as starting over is not going to happen. He's got one more year. The 2nd one has longer but also maintains he's done with this city and the way it is (mis)managed. While there is much to like about C'ville it is not the city it once was. For those claiming how great it is they are typically unaware of their surroundings and what is really happening in and around the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 12:51 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
Article in yesterday’s paper — since defunding the police and stopping important crime prevent policies, we’ve had 250 shooting incidents this year — the most ever.
Who is reporting that increase? The same people that got defunded? If so, makes you pause and wonder.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:16 PM

319 posts, read 278,664 times
Haven't been to Charlottesville since buying a home and some farm land out in Locust Grove, I'm closer to Fredericksburg now and they have pretty much what C'ville does except ACC Football. I moved to the region from Florida in 2006 after my wife graduated from CF and always viewed Charlottesville as a pretty place and UVA games are fun to tailgate, last one was when FSU came to town.

Crime is everywhere and of you think C'ville is bad come hang out with me in the Burg sometime, lol. C'ville is transient, it's a college town, new folks come and go every 4 years and longer if grad school is in the mix. The apple orchard on the mountain is a neat place to visit, Barracks Road shopping center was fun when it was new to me anyway. I've visited Thomas Jefferson's place, the rock store, saw Pearl Jam at JPJ, had grandkids born at UVA, Mary Washington, and Bedford Va.

I think Virginia as a whole is a great place to call home, I'm originally from Westchester/Putnam area of NY and C'ville has reminded me of Westchester where there are lot of German cars, preppy folks, the fancy pants crowd.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:28 AM

C'ville is not a transient town with the exception of the students.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:40 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Who is reporting that increase? The same people that got defunded? If so, makes you pause and wonder.
Journalists are reporting it….
There’s frequent pictures in the paper of those arrested for the shootings —and it’s not the students.
Also Nextdoor app has people reporting they are afraid when they hear the shootings and ask others if they know what’s going on. Lots of people heard the machine gun shootings and posted that night.
The police are not making this stuff up
Take your head out of the sand…..this is really happening.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:43 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Some will still defend the city being a great place to live. But I maintain a friendship with a couple officers I've trained and there is practically no one that has their pulse on an area like active duty LEO's. One maintains he and his family and moving well away from C'ville the day he hits age 50 and can retire on VRS. Sooner if he finds the right paying VRS job that will start him at a salary in line with what he makes now as starting over is not going to happen. He's got one more year. The 2nd one has longer but also maintains he's done with this city and the way it is (mis)managed. While there is much to like about C'ville it is not the city it once was. For those claiming how great it is they are typically unaware of their surroundings and what is really happening in and around the city.
Why don’t we see more police just go on strike over what’s happening in these “defund” cities?

Old 09-22-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Why don’t we see more police just go on strike over what’s happening in these “defund” cities?
With rare exceptions you won't see police going on strike. Especially in RTW states although this is becoming less important as of late. Back in the 80's when things got rough in my agency/county we never once talked of going on any kind of strike. Not once in my 30 plus years did we ever discuss it. Officers left and went to other agencies or federal but did not strike.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:42 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
Journalists are reporting it….
There’s frequent pictures in the paper of those arrested for the shootings —and it’s not the students.
Also Nextdoor app has people reporting they are afraid when they hear the shootings and ask others if they know what’s going on. Lots of people heard the machine gun shootings and posted that night.
The police are not making this stuff up
Take your head out of the sand…..this is really happening.
Yes, Journalists, again I take pause. Journalists don't collect the stats, others do and journalists are the remora that cherrypick those stats.
My FEET are in the sand, not sure which of your parts are, but it doesn't matter. I never said it wasn't happening, just said you may want to dig a bit deeper to see the real issues.

I'm not from Charlottesville, but have plenty of relatives there and no complaints about crime from any of them so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville