Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,952 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Charlottesville in the fall and even though we may not buy right away we are starting to look at neighborhoods we might like to live in. We drove through Ednam Forest and liked the character of the neighborhood. Can anyone tell us more about that neighborhood..pros/cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
I helped build two houses in Ednam Forest in the late 1980's. One house was for a doctor and the other was for a business owner. The houses were nicely made with good materials. Ednam Forest was one of the high end subdivisions in the Charlottesville area. It seemed very nice and quiet and is well situated for accessing Charlottesville. I would live there if I had the money and wanted to live in Charlottesville again.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 AM

31 posts, read 116,858 times
Hi Kentlyn,
I can only agree with previous post regarding Ednam Forest. my office is located there and I too wish I could live there. Commute to anywhere in Charlottesville from Ednam is easy and convenient. Homes started building in the sixties and most at the end of eighties. Many retirees live in this community, but also some young families with kids. Not many homes are offered for sale at one time here (also tells about a desirable spot to live...).
Comparable to this neighborhood are also Peacock Hill, Highlands, Canteburry Hills, Redbud Hills, Bentivar , Waverly and more.
All are really nice areas and your pick should depend on a proximity to a place of your choice (UVA, Downtown or North of Charlottesville perhaps). Prices vary, and range from $300,000 to 3 mil (!)
I have lived in Charlottesville with my family for over 10 years now and have explored the area with critical eye of a newcomer (even before choosing a real estate profession) and would be happy to give you a "local scoop" on areas of your interest.
Hope this helps and please let me know if you need more info.
My best, Tanja

Old 02-19-2009, 06:16 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,403 times
When I was growing up in the area, we use to say the following about the different communities out that way:

Farmington - Old money
Flordon - Newer money
Ednam Forest - The ink is still wet

When I was a kid, we used to stop on the way home from my grandmother's house and fee the ducks at Boar's Head. I don't know if the ducks still visit.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:12 AM

29 posts, read 76,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanja M View Post
Hi Kentlyn,
I can only agree with previous post regarding Ednam Forest. my office is located there and I too wish I could live there. Commute to anywhere in Charlottesville from Ednam is easy and convenient. Homes started building in the sixties and most at the end of eighties. Many retirees live in this community, but also some young families with kids. Not many homes are offered for sale at one time here (also tells about a desirable spot to live...).
Comparable to this neighborhood are also Peacock Hill, Highlands, Canteburry Hills, Redbud Hills, Bentivar , Waverly and more.
All are really nice areas and your pick should depend on a proximity to a place of your choice (UVA, Downtown or North of Charlottesville perhaps). Prices vary, and range from $300,000 to 3 mil (!)
I have lived in Charlottesville with my family for over 10 years now and have explored the area with critical eye of a newcomer (even before choosing a real estate profession) and would be happy to give you a "local scoop" on areas of your interest.
Hope this helps and please let me know if you need more info.
My best, Tanja
Tanja,

Good post, very unassuming and factual...I am actually moving back to the East Coast. I used to work for the Department of Defense and decided to resign, take my wife and move back to the Texas (Austin). Needless to say, my job search of almost a year and a half has gone nowhere (yes I have tried everything). So we are coming back..close to family and friends in NOVA, and I think I can get a DoD job in Charlottesville. I loved it when I visited in my younger years, and have still heard nothing but good things, but I don't know where to look. My wife and I would like to be in an younger area, with some culture and fun things to do, and feel like we want to be North of town more or less (closer to NOVA..I know details, but all I have to go on). Everything is relative, but if my wife can find a position and I can land a job, we are looking at 300-350k for a home would be comfortable...but I don't know what the market is like right now..Thought I might get your two cents....more.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 AM

31 posts, read 116,858 times
Default Charlottesville housing market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy74 View Post
Tanja,

Good post, very unassuming and factual...I am actually moving back to the East Coast. I used to work for the Department of Defense and decided to resign, take my wife and move back to the Texas (Austin). Needless to say, my job search of almost a year and a half has gone nowhere (yes I have tried everything). So we are coming back..close to family and friends in NOVA, and I think I can get a DoD job in Charlottesville. I loved it when I visited in my younger years, and have still heard nothing but good things, but I don't know where to look. My wife and I would like to be in an younger area, with some culture and fun things to do, and feel like we want to be North of town more or less (closer to NOVA..I know details, but all I have to go on). Everything is relative, but if my wife can find a position and I can land a job, we are looking at 300-350k for a home would be comfortable...but I don't know what the market is like right now..Thought I might get your two cents....more.
Thanks Cowboy74,
At the time, there is a variety to choose from in any area of Charlottesville. Prices are finally closer to reality, lots of properties offered, sellers more willing to negotiate, etc. All in all-a buyers market truly.
The look of town has changed due to many new structures in the city and surrounding counties. Not necessarily to the worse though. This is still a very pretty town as you recall.
As for the price range of 300 to 350 K, there are homes offered with less or more land, 3+ BR, from 2,000 to 3,000 sq ft.
Will be happy to help.
My best, Tanja

Old 06-05-2009, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,363 times
Smile Two houses for sale in Ednam Forest.

Dear Kentlyn,
I have lived in Ednam Forest since 1986. I own two houses and both are up for sale. I will move into the one that doesn't sell first. The addresses are 449 Rookwood Dr and 108 Bedford. Are you interested?
Best Regards,
Richard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville