Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,029 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are stopping in Charlottesville for a night or two on the way to OH and want to check the area out for a possible relocation in a few years. My question is what are some areas to check out to give us a feel for life in the city in the limited time that we are there. We are traveling with our lab and 1 year old son as well so we would need most suggestions to be dog friendly. Thanks!

Nichole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 07:39 PM

542 posts, read 991,943 times
I reccomend the downtown mall. It's an outdoor pedestrian mall that is dog friendly. It also gives you an idea of the demographic that lives in the area as everyone of different backgrounds from uber yuppie to homeless to street performers to students all congregate there. From I-64 take the 5th St. exit and head toward downtown and hang a right on Water St and park at one of the garages and you're there!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 AM

40 posts, read 193,736 times
Excellent suggestion, Nebat. Also, for your 1-year old, the discovery museum is on the mall and even though your child is little too young now check it out while you're here.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:38 PM

37 posts, read 131,190 times
As Nebat suggested, the downtown mall would be fun. It's a great place to people watch, too. If you enjoy wine, there are two particularly nice vineyards - Kings Family and Veritas. Kings Family has a lovely patio with a picturesque view of the Blue Ridge Moutains. Both do tastings and tours. If you want a fun place to eat with a nice view, there's Blue Mountain Brewery just over the Albemarle Co. line in Nelson County. There's what they call the "corner" strip, which are a bunch of neat eating places near the University. Carter's Mountain has a cool apple orchard; it's nice and it's apple season soon I think. If you are into hiking, there are lots of trails. A popular one is Humpback Rock. Just some suggestions.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:44 PM

42 posts, read 115,656 times
If you'll be in town on a Saturday morning, definitely check out the Charlottesville (Farmer's) Market which is only a block away from the downtown mall. It is truly a reflection of the vibrant culture in the area and you will see that many, many C'villians come out to the market. It is much more than produce - there are lots of flowers, foods, and handmade items. 100% of items sold must be homegrown or homemade. I used to work in the market and I chalk it up to one of the richest experiences of my life. I did not have a reserved space for every week, so I bounced around and met "goat cheese" guy, "Dahlia" guy, "French crepes" lady, salsa lady, dog collar lady, and so on...eventually I was known around C'ville as the "ribbon lady" because I sold ribbon accessories. If you can see it you won't regret it! I've visited Markets in many other locales and none other measure up to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville