Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 03:25 AM

24 posts, read 75,596 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me – I do appreciate it.

I am considering a move from N. Florida, and am planning on a trip to your area to check things out and would really like to know the good, bad and ugly about the area.

A few things I’d like to know are, what’s it really like to live there? Is it a fun place? I’m looking for diversity and openness, friendly caring people and progressiveness, but also the ability to make some place my home and just fit in. Guess I like small town charm, warmth and personal friendships with city amenities close by. What areas would you recommend to live? I should mention that I am a 43 yr old, college educated, divorced white male, no kids.

Love the outdoors, especially biking, hiking and water sports, along with white water kayaking/rafting – are those opportunities available there and are they close by? Nice lakes that are boatable/skiable?

Since I would not know anyone in the area, are there clubs, social organizations, etc. that would make it easy to meet people? What about dating opportunities?

What about professional/job opportunities, business environment? My background is Marketing/Advertising, and I have my real estate license as well, but I may pursue something totally different or start my own business. What industries are there? How are commute times? How is the tax situation?

I am more of a spiritual than religious guy, but would still like to be around like minded people – how well is that tolerated, and are there churches like Unity, Religious Science, etc. there?

How healthy is the area? Decent air and water quality? What about lifestyles? Are people into health and wellness, and does the community support it with good food stores, restaurants, outlets, etc? How the the overall environment? Is it being protected?

What about cost of living/housing? I would rent to start, but if I liked the area would love to purchase a home and settle for long term.

Local Government – progressive? Controlled growth?

I love to travel – how are flights out of the local airport? Easy to fly to lots of destinations? Costs?

I know I asked a ton of questions, but again, any info will be greatly appreciated!

PS – One last thing. Can you recommend a good hotel for my visit that is reasonable/cheap, clean and safe in the area? Thanks bunches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 05:22 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,676 times
Thumbs up Lot of typing, all YES.

S.G. : All the prior post will answer YES to your questions. The B.W. recognition for HIXON is your best place to start. The motel "EXtend A Stay" near Home Depot / Lowes seems to be best deal.
Your health grocery is being built on the North Shore ,river front under Rt #27 , mfg's rd. .. Many biking and kayak Clubs to meet your social scene.
Local airport doing well with Allegient air to Fla 3 times a week $39 / $49.
Atlanta doable for your international / long flights.
Many , many Churches here for all types of activities.
County park Chester Frost / Camp Columbus has all your water needs. Also your private airport. All activities, ball games, etc, are OUtdoor Festivals here rather than the Bar Hopping scene.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,539 times
Default From Florida to Chattanooga

Being from Florida myself, my family was used to staying indoors a lot to get away from the constant heat. Since we came here, we go to the park around once a week or so and I even bought a bike last year. We enjoy actually having seasons here and its great to have cool mornings, even in the summer. We really love Chattanooga with its hilly roads and nearby mountains. We live in Red Bank, but would recommend Hixon, but only if you like traffic. Red Bank has a much more small town feel to it. Hixon has every store and restaurant you need. We bought property recently on Signal Mountain. That's our favorite place. Very small town feel. However, if you like a more urban feel, Chattanooga has a great down town. Didn't use to be that way, from what we hear, but they have done a lot to improve it. Lots of fun activities and nice restaurants. Its busy, but not to much. Travel in the Chattanooga area is quite easy. Lots of roads take you to the same place. You can get from one end to the other in 20 minutes, and the ride there is really beautiful. The difference in people is that there are more working class here compared to the rich and older crowd in Florida. So there are some areas, like south Red Bank and North Chattanoga where you wouldn't want to live. But downtown has nice condos on the river, if you can afford it. Property, in general, is close to half what you'd pay in some areas in Florida. When you come, make sure you take a walk on the "walking bridge" and stop by Cooliage Park nearby. On the "walking bridge" is where I realized that I could like here, looking over the river in between two mountains. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:16 AM

24 posts, read 75,596 times
Great info. everyone! I will visit in the next week or two and check it out for myself. Thanks again!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 12,064 times
Also from N.Fla.
Basically the same page that our friend suthernguy, but I am married and have one daughter living with us. She will like to do her master in Chatanooga.
We are going this friday (6th). So if possible I will like to have info in where do I start. Start looking for an appartment to rent, (very reasonable priced)a house to buy later on and a place where I might open my own Cafe. Also how is construction there , my husband is a General contrator here in Fla.
Thanks a lot

Old 07-06-2007, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 24,040 times
is the chat area gay friendly????

i too am from north fla

Old 08-15-2007, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 9,445 times
Atwind;
Re: NO!!!
You have to go further North for that.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:49 AM

849 posts, read 2,955,124 times
suthernguy - Depending on where you would locate, you would be about an hour or less to the Ocoee River for your white water rafting pleasure. It's a good class 3/4 river.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:16 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,275 times
Atwind, our friend would prefer that no gays move to Chattanooga so you can take that opinion or leave it. We do have a GLBT community and not many of them I know are leaving so that speaks volumes.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 AM

10 posts, read 58,292 times
Signal Mountain is awesome!!

Plenty of hiking biking outdoors things to do and minutes from downtown with the other things previous posters mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga