Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,882 times

Advertisements

The city of Chattanooga is also close to Nashville, Knoxville, Atlanta, Burmingham, and a couple other big cities. The Great Smokey mountain park is only about a hour and a half away. You have to drive over to Sweetwater and drive the Cherohala Skyway and see the most beautiful place in america. Don't just do all the tourist stuff ! I'm from Milwaukee WI moved to Chicago for a few years, Then moved to Chattanooga for the past two. We love it. The people kind of suck though, Sorry local chatt people. I've been all over the country, and people in the south act nice to you but most likely dont like you because you're from the north (Get over it) . I was never the type to really care about what people think though, I just do me !

Old 11-05-2010, 06:38 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney414 View Post
The city of Chattanooga is also close to Nashville, Knoxville, Atlanta, Burmingham, and a couple other big cities. The Great Smokey mountain park is only about a hour and a half away. You have to drive over to Sweetwater and drive the Cherohala Skyway and see the most beautiful place in america. Don't just do all the tourist stuff ! I'm from Milwaukee WI moved to Chicago for a few years, Then moved to Chattanooga for the past two. We love it. The people kind of suck though, Sorry local chatt people. I've been all over the country, and people in the south act nice to you but most likely dont like you because you're from the north (Get over it) . I was never the type to really care about what people think though, I just do me !
We love it here as well. We moved from Kenosha, WI 6 months ago. Although we haven't had any issues with people down here.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney414 View Post
It's Chatt. I did tech support from Little Rock all the way to Abingdon, VA, - and almost everything in-between - and Chatt residents are a bit different. We originally planned to move to Chatt but after dealing with its residents for three years I am so glad that we didn't move there.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:39 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
I'm just curious - could you or jmoney explain what you don't like about the locals? We've been here for two years and haven't had any issues with the locals. We moved from the NE but are originally southerners. Perhaps that's the difference? We had northern-ish accents though and were asked a lot if we were from up north, but no one was rude. I've been more disappointed in other transplants than in locals.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:42 PM

I'm originally from the northeast, too, but I don't think that is it. Native Tennesseans complained about Chattanoogans as much as me. Maybe more.

I can give an answer, but it is going to sound like I am stereotyping. Here goes. I found that most of the difficult people in that area broke down into three groups; they sounded like they were gangstas, they sounded like they were members of the Hatfields and McCoys (I once had an old man and woman threaten to shoot one of my techs if he climbed the pole to shut off their cable) and rude transplants. It seems like quite a few arrogant transplants settled on Chattanooga.

Once again, that is a huge generalization. Of course, there are plenty of nice folks. I'm glad I settled in Knoxville, though.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 PM

No, I understand what you're saying. We haven't had those problems (except rude transplants) though. Thanks for the insight.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
No, I understand what you're saying. We haven't had those problems (except rude transplants) though. Thanks for the insight.
And please know that I did tech support so I was dealing with people that aren't happy to begin with, but when putting up Chattanooga against other areas, it was the worst. The Tri-Cities area was not great, either. The vast majority of them were snippy. Rudest transplants (remember, I am a transplant, too) went to Fairfield Glade, Chattanooga and Oak Ridge. The nicest people in Chattanooga seemed to come from Lookout Mountain.

On my visits to Chattanooga I haven't found people to be that friendly. But if you are from the northeast you are probably going to find them to be extremely nice. Compared to Knoxville, though, they aren't very welcoming.

I also found that the unhappiest transplants were in Chattanooga. The nice transplants seemed so happy to talk to another friendly transplant and would repeatedly tell me how unhappy they were.

But if you are happy there, that truly is all that matters. Who cares what I think. I don't live there.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Well, I'm originally from MS, but we lived in the NE for years. I loved, loved, loved it up there and cried my eyes out when my husband accepted a transfer down here. Unfortunately, the job situation has turned into a disaster and we might be leaving soon. Probably just loving on it because we'll likely be leaving. Seems to be how we roll.

Where is the best place you've worked? I'm curious. Maybe we can go there next. haha

Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
It does seem that culturally Chattanooga is different. Maybe because historically as a mill town it didn't have as much of a middle class as surrounding cities?? It is known for its many wealthy philanthropists.

These days I get the impression that Chattanooga is a city of strivers. Which isn't a bad thing if you are a striver yourself. But I wonder if newcomers are frustrated trying to break into the established upper crust.

Knoxville is based on an Appalachian culture, while Chattanooga seems to have the culture of the New South.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
It does seem that culturally Chattanooga is different. Maybe because historically as a mill town it didn't have as much of a middle class as surrounding cities?? It is known for its many wealthy philanthropists.

These days I get the impression that Chattanooga is a city of strivers. Which isn't a bad thing if you are a striver yourself. But I wonder if newcomers are frustrated trying to break into the established upper crust.

Knoxville is based on an Appalachian culture, while Chattanooga seems to have the culture of the New South.
I never came across anyone striving for anything, unless it was to get something for nothing. They seemed to have difficulty with basic tasks, or had very rude attitudes. Of course, I wasn't talking to the cream of the crop, anyway. But I did deal with the same scenarios in other cities and without the strife, for the most part.

It became a joke. "I've got Chattanooga on the phone." And everyone around me would groan. Definitely seemed more Appalachian, although there was quite a bit of that in the Tri-Cities, too, but they were still MUCH better than Chatt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga