Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 14,770 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
After looking about in different areas to retire to, my husband and I are seriously considering Chattanooga....
Would anyone be able to tell us if there are certain areas that would not be affected by flooding? Obviously, the further away from rivers the better...we would like to drive down to visit the area but don't want to buy in a flood area...
Our price range for a home would be $270,000 to $330,000...would love to not be too far from the city itself if possible. (not over 30-45 minute drive).

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 09:12 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,854,450 times
Thumbs up North Hixon

C.G. : WELCOME , Been there , solved it. We moved out of central FLA after a few hurricanes. Actually close to the river north of Hixon has some quite HIGH / steep streets that give great views & runoff protection down into the LAKE / river channel to keep dry . . South GOLD Circle ,off Hixon pike & south of the beautiful county Chester Frost park ,one neighborhood .

. North of there off Dallas Hollow called Trojan RUN , top street very high with 40+ mile views to north mtn plateau.

I think you will find quite a few dry neighborhoods, but expect to be closer to your neighbor , the closer one gets towards city . More north means more elbow room in that 30 35 min commute. . PM if any other ??'s. North Soddy hilltop can be found around $160K. . Hixon tennis maybe $360K.

. Really south of the city had the actual home / school flooding last year along the So Chick CREEK. The TVA river can actually be lowered(Done 6 feet over the winter) if a tropical storm is forecasted out of the gulf during the summer.

Again WELCOME & city / county has a lot of offer here.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 AM

4 posts, read 12,403 times
Lookout Mountain and Signal Mountain areas provide easy access and great scenery. These mountains are less than 20 minutes to the heart of Chattanooga. Lookout Mtn was the place during the War between the States that had the "Battle above the Clouds". Lots of history around Tennessee. Big rivers to play in, etc.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:12 PM

120 posts, read 235,119 times
There's no worry about flooding in 98% of the area. Flood areas are the exception. As a previous poster stated the flat areas around South Chickamauga Creek are about the only flood-prone areas I can think of.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 PM

Thank you ALL for the very helpful responses!!
They have helped tremendously and now we can't wait to
look around in the spring!
It all sounds so lovely--I'll finally have my mountains!!

Deb

Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 PM

P.S. Love all of the history and beauty of this state...so looking foward to seeing it all!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:39 PM

Split, you may just hear from me very soon, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga