Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 09:38 AM

375 posts, read 907,264 times

Advertisements

Hey there

I am considering a move to TN (among other states). Any ideas about good towns to move to would be great. Feel free to PM if you'd like - I appreciate it.

Here's what I'm looking for:

* community college nearby - w/in 20 min
* lots of access to land where we can hike, camp, play in the river, ect.
* rural areas outside town - land that isn't overdeveloped or run over w/subdivisions
* affordable housing - houses under 150 k
* mellow, chilled out area that is ok w/new ppl moving in
* lots of outdoor activities, hunting, etc.
* good mix of educated white and blue collar ppl as well as young families
* good school system
*w/in a day's drive to t he beach, but the sort of place that is 'great to raise kids' - where you can do all sorts of things w/your kids, like playing in the creek, atving, etc - kinda the Norman Rockwell way of life

I'm thinking Tullahoma might be my best option. I've been looking at a few different areas, but after being in CO for 2 years, I'm kinda used to having more 'room' around me and don't like super crowded areas. I telecommute so jobs aren't an issue - just trying to figure out where the best area is that I can actually afford to live on my salary and afford a nice house. Thanks in advance and have a happy day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:31 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,849,578 times
Smile Rt #27 North Hixon.

R: I would give you a Yes on most or all but one item in your list.
North of Chattanooga city , west side of the lake / river ,north of Hixon should have your elbow room . We have been happy with all hiking area (New Cumberland trail 305 miles being built up on Plateau , Walden ridge ,)
ATV out my back door. Hunt also , but woods getting less & less public. Permission needed.... Affordable just under $150 K about $140K

..BEACH.?? We have had this request before, BUT the beautiful camping county park " CHESTER FROST" has a great youth playground along a long sandy Lake beach , Groomed out with a Zamboni. Pictures here under prior post Search. .. There are many ridge creeks , small waterfalls , tarzen ropes for kids of all ages to swim / chill. . River / coves also nice quality with rock ledges , tarzen ropes. . I am big into boating. . Send some PM pics.

Again Welcome. East side of county along I-75 to get very busy with VW mfg facility & now AMAZON announcement today 2k+

Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM

375 posts, read 907,264 times
Wow, that sounds like what I'm looking for. Hard to find the space nowadays even out here in CO sometimes where there aren't 'rules' and all sorts of things preventing you from just being outside in the woods. I know that's the way we're going as a society, but it stinks for kids who need that space! thanks for the pics - that looks like an awesome place to run around on an ATV. There are still public woods as well? Or just some? I'm gonna come check out that area in the Spring !

Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,849,578 times
Thumbs up Hiking Parks LINK

..The north & West side of Chattanooga has the Cumberland Plateau or Walden ridge, known as the Grand Canyon of the East if one is in a boat. History goes back befoe the Civil war battles to the indian / British era , Trail of Tears saga. Steep to over develope , but upper Signal mtn or Brow lots always being built.

. Here is the big hikikng / PARKS LINK to region . Can always click on any right column location for location / further maps , events, etc. CUMBERLAND TRAIL (or the Great Eastern) Florida pan handle / Alabama to Penn / Finger lakes NY . 305 linear miles in TENN is a state park allmost connected via grass roots , college group volunteer efforts.

.PRENTISS COOPER is nice day use N.W. of the city . Family / beginner trails here for slow speed SUV or ATV. I believe there is a 25 mph limit .?
Chattanooga Hiking Club Should be many pics or trip reports to read thru on this link .

Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM

65 posts, read 180,619 times
I'd recommend Chattanooga for you. It is a small city and very family friendly. Most people do not shun new comers, but you may have some that do (it goes for ALL cities). There is a ton of hiking, camping, outdoor areas for you to explore. We do have quite a few transplants here as well.

As far as a beach is concerned...not one nearby, but Tybee Island (in GA) is about 6 hours away. You could take a long weekend for a beach trip. We have several water holes and places to swim.

Hope this helps. You can send me a message if you have anymore questions.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,775,971 times
Ooo, foxxy, Jekyll Island (near Tybee) is also wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga