Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 PM

45 posts, read 90,858 times

Advertisements

I will spend a day in Chattannoga driving from Nashville

I would like to submit my day schedule
for suggestions

9:00AM arriving at lookout mountain and visit ruby falls.Ride the scenic railroad, VISIT Rock city and Chattanooga battle park

Lunch at 2 PM : someone suggests me Aretha Frankeinstein's - please I need more suggestions of good southern food or BBQ

afternoon: riverfront and Tennessee Aquarium

early night: return to Nashville

thank you folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 PM

340 posts, read 1,511,636 times
I wouldn't personally go to Aretha Frankenstein's -- It's kind of novel for small town South, but really not that great and the service is horrendous. If you want good BBQ I'd go to Sugar's which has a location downtown on Broad or just off I-24 heading east out of Chattanooga. The latter has a great deck and view and would be where I'd go for the best bbq in Chatt that is appropriate for a tourist.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM

243 posts, read 692,412 times
I would not go to Ruby Falls. Just my opinion. I remember going there as a kid and was completely unimpressed. I would devote more time to exploring the battlefield or point park if you are wanting history and scenery.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:26 AM

611 posts, read 1,997,967 times
While I love Aretha's, you might want to pick something different. If there are other there you could be in for a long lunch. The Boathouse has great food (awesome brisket) and sits just outside downtown on the river. AMAZING View. The best BBQ I've had in a while is Petunia's Silver Jalapeno on Signal Mtn at 309 Signal Mtn Road (NOT on Signal Mtn) only 5 minutes out of Downtown. Don't eat breakfast, you'll want the extra room! Also you may want to wear some adjustable waste band pants... just sayin . As to Ruby Falls, it should be rippin' after all the rain we've had.

Petunia's Silver Jalapeno

The Boathouse Grill

You may want to try one of these as well:

If you are coming on a weekday the Southern Star Restaurant is a fantastic meat and 3 and serves some real good ribs, but not open on the weekends.

The Blue Plate is right downtown on the Riverfront. Great restaurant.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,042 times
Scenic railroad or The Incline? There is the Tennesse Valley Railroad Museum but, not on Lookout Mountain.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 AM

352 posts, read 883,145 times
Be sure to visit Point Park while you are by Rock City and the Incline. You will be blown away by the view and the history there.
Arethas is not the "touristy" place you want to eat. Sugars is a good choice for southern. Wallys Restaurant on McCallie ave is an awesome meat and 3. If you don't want "southern" but just want a good local restaurant Taco Mac and Big River Grill are both good places. I haven't tried the other places River suggested, but I have heard that were pretty good also.
I personally like Ruby Falls, have been there several times. Most impressive thing about Ruby Falls is when and how it was discovered

Old 03-14-2011, 01:02 PM

45 posts, read 90,858 times
sorry folks I badly misunderstood, the one I will visit is the incline not scenic railroad.. thks for the nice advices

Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
I also recommend missing Ruby Falls, but it depends on what your preferences are. Ruby Falls is too sanitized and "touristy" for me. Everything from the elevator ride to the colored lights to the fact that they actually pipe down water because the real ruby falls is little more than a trickle. Other people absolutely love it and they have countless visitors every year. Each to his own.

Personally, I would first go to St. Elmo, park at the base of the incline railroad (free parking at the base, pay parking at the top), ride to the top, then walk a few blocks to Point Park. One problem with driving to the top first and riding the incline down is that there is VERY limited parking at the top. A round-trip on the incline takes longer than the meters allow, and you will get a ticket.

Take your time exploring Point Park and the history there. Make sure you walk ALL the way down to the true point at the old museum (the museum is closed, but the viewing platform should be open). This area isn't handicap accessible as of the last time I visited. The view from there is absolutely spectacular on a clear day... about 270 degrees of view.

Then ride back down to the base on the incline. If you want to see Rock City just go right back up the mountain on Ochs Hwy.

If you want true "southern" food then you can't beat Bea's at 4500 Dodds Avenue down near the GA line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga