U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:14 AM

20 posts, read 31,608 times

Advertisements

I could tell you all about the dead town I am leaving. Bottom line is we're moving to Southeast TN, bringing a 100% American Made, small business with us. Left Nashville 11 years ago for family reasons, now we're coming back. People often ask what the attraction is to TN. We moved here years ago after GM shut down their plants in the Northeast. Families worked generations there, then it all went away. Spring Hill was the answer, but see what happened there...
Everything is in a transition and it doesn't seem like too many answers are forthcoming..
I'll tell you why we chose TN.
Weather first.. love TN weather! Over the harsh NY winters, this is the last one we'll suffer through. I've lived in FL, can't take that Africa hot temp! lol, too fair complected for that, deadly for some of us not built for it genetically. Needed something more mid-country.

TN is Business-friendly, which creates JOBS.
Manufacturing, farming, tourism, hospitality and trucking industries.
A sense of community.. I like that things are closed on Sundays, it leaves us wide open to spend time doing things that folks in other states lack.
Some folks miss out on simply spending time with each other... too busy trying to pay the bills I suppose. I dunno.

I like having No TN State Income Tax ..although Sales Tax is high.
I don't think food should be taxed, that's a low blow to families each and every day.

I believe TN is one of the few states that has enough sense to make it appealing to businesses and in turn creates jobs.
I believe TN has a strong sense of Patriotism and only looking for long-term success and a hand-up, not a hand-out. I think we can manufacture better products here and be part of the solution.I think we should export more and import less. I want to see and buy more American made goods.
Whether our elected officials can balance a budget and create an affordable living for its citizens in regard to taxing us is an important discussion and will unfold as time passes.

I believe that if TN can grab the opportunity and create a better and affordable Public Transportation System in-state, from Chattanooga to Nashville, to Memphis, to Knoxville, etc.. this would decrease fuel consumption and highway traffic, leaving it less congested so truckers can move more product on the highways. It would also create jobs for building, maintaining, stations in various towns, restaurants, farmers markets, retail stores, more jobs, leaving more consumers with disposable income to spend on things we want and need. With the prices of gas today, it won't be long before whole towns are isolated and restricted from travel simply because we can't afford to buy 10 gallons of gas for less than 50 bucks! Hope we can all prepare for what may be ahead. I'd pay a reasonable fare to catch a train or a river ferry excursion from Chattanooga to get me to Nashville to catch a show at the Ryman or the Opry or see a Titans game...
It's nice that commercial businesses have rail and river for transporting goods, but the public could use some service in that area.
Anyone else have ideas? How do you travel between major cities in TN?

I know not everyone will agree on passenger rail for TN, that's ok, too
Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Planning ahead?-taxman.gif  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 AM

I see folks have been reading this, but thusfar, no comments.. meh.

I forgot to mention... When we're settled into the new homestead, we'll be seeking out friends and neighbors who can fabricate things. Talking about true Craftsmen here. We need to get a network going, there might already be one, if so, please enlighten me and share message me or friend me so we can discuss further.

While I prefer to deal with small owner/operator businesses, I am not opposed to dealing with larger LOCAL operations or even those who have ideas and are just starting out. We can create our own jobs. I'm a mover and shaker, like to make things happen when they get stagnant. Can't wait to meet with the Chamber of Commerce to see what they have going on.

That being said, there are many reasons I am so bent on local production... besides the need for jobs.
I think most of the imported items we have been offered in the retail chain stores are cheap in quality and very disposable. They can be made right here, better quality, safer materials and better Customer Service when dealing with a local outfit. Longer-lasting, better quality products means less waste. Metal and tin workers, glass manufacturers, potters, woodworkers, etc... America needs to manufacture MORE if we're going to compete in the world today. Now, I have heard the argument that 'American Made costs more". This may be true, but if you have to replace 10 shabbily made items that break as opposed to one longer-lasting, quality item, where's the savings?

OK, I'll sit back and have some patience now, I know not everyone is online all the time and I gotta learn how to roll Southern Style again and ditch the NY tension and stress, lol...

Old 03-15-2011, 11:20 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,436,692 times
You have to be more patient. It hasn't even been 12 hours! That's something you'll have to learn here in Chattanooga - patience.

I'm really not sure what sort of response you want. Would mass transit work between cities i.e. Nashville to Knoxville, Knoxville to Chattanooga, Chattanooga to Memphis? I doubt it. Gas prices aren't high enough yet to "hurt", to force people to use it. People in the middle of the country LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their vehicles.

We are leaving Chattanooga this summer, and all the places we're looking into have mass transit. We'll likely dump the 2nd vehicle, as we'll be using mass transit.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 AM

17 posts, read 31,360 times
I read your post with interest and great appreciation. I am curious just what 100% American made product you will be manufacturing. I absolutely agree that we need to increase American made products. I strive to by whatever I can USA made. You couldn't pay me to drive an imported car or even on that the profit goes to another country other than here. Sure these manufacturers of hondas and VWs and what-not provide Americans with jobs but if everyone would just buy American made products, the demand would bring the manufacturing back. Gah!!!!It frustrates the life out of me. So anyway....what will you manufacture??

Old 03-15-2011, 11:39 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,436,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnmom View Post
I read your post with interest and great appreciation. I am curious just what 100% American made product you will be manufacturing. I absolutely agree that we need to increase American made products. I strive to by whatever I can USA made. You couldn't pay me to drive an imported car or even on that the profit goes to another country other than here. Sure these manufacturers of hondas and VWs and what-not provide Americans with jobs but if everyone owuld just buy American made products the demand would bring the manufacturing back. Gah!!!!It frustrates the life out of me. So anyway....what willyou manufacture??
I don't understand your post. VW, Toyota, Mercedes, Honda - all have assembly plants in the the U.S. They are, in fact, American made. Do they not count because their countries of origin are Germany & Japan? You know that individual parts on Fords aren't all American-made, right?

Ford to Nearly Double Purchase of China-Made Parts

We live in a global economy whether people like it or not. It's not going away.

I did find an interesting article on cars.com about American made cars: The Cars.com American-Made Index - Cars.com. It blows your theory out of the water. Guess my Toyota is alright after all.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 AM

13,848 posts, read 17,524,150 times
Sort of curious about the mass transit angel. Do you really think there is much of a need for such a thing here, are there that many people who travel between the major cities frequently?
I travel between them occasionally, but I find the interstate to be just fine with not much congestion other than at rush hour in and near the cities themselves.
And the cities themselves don't offer great public transportation, so there would still be the hassle of dealing with that once you arrived at your destination.
I have looked into taking the train from Memphis to Chicago or New Orleans, but the cost and the inconvenience was just too much compared to driving. Mass transit sounds so nice in theory, but I think it has a long way to go before it will be practical for a lot of folks in this part of the country.

OTOH I'm all for buying local when it's possible. The store I work at has a section for locally produced goods. I shop some mom and pop places and drive a Saturn, lol.
Glad to see people moving to TN and bringing their visions with them.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:25 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,563,986 times
L.L. : Welcome. You sure know how to type. YES I read your post early this am, & had similar locations. NY state to Florida, then Chatt. Like my other neighbor mentioned not ones for sittin at the pc all day. OUtdoor weather here very nice & flowers / trees in bloom .. I went to senior center to volunteer with Income tax most of day.

. I have RR history / hobby back to NY with the D & H.. Between TN cities I dont see heavy volume draw. There have been some newspaper articles about the Chattanoga _ Atlanta high speed rail link. This would ease up some of the I-75 volume, better link to Airport major hub. Major sporting events. Football , Baseball, basketball.. Some people travel to both Aquariums in these cities.

The few times I go to Knoxville I tow a boat.. Easy airport shuttle service would work if cost low enough.? ..Chattanooga & Cleveland airport expanding now... Local talent pool ? I think a connection to the community colleges or technical schools is where you need to visit, make a proposal.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 AM

2,954 posts, read 4,538,055 times
I agree with the buy local bit (I'll shop at independent stores before a big box every time, buy from the farmer's market every week, buy fresh eggs from a friend who raises chickens, etc.).

I think an efficient mass-transit system is an excellent thing, in principle. When I visited St. Louis, MO (business trip), and San Fransisco, CA (vacation) I didn't even have to rent a car. I was lucky on the trip to St. Louis in that my client lived a few blocks from the downtown Metro station, and the project site was a short bus ride away from a different station. So we flew in and hopped on the train. In San Fran we planned the trip around mass transit; our hotel was a block from the BART station, we bought a multi-day pass, and all the touristy areas were served. We did rent a convertible for a day to go driving up the coast on Hwy 1, but that's a different story. On a trip to Washington we drove to the area and around the outside the city. But on the days we went into the government/museum district we parked at a Metro station and rode in.

Unfortunately, TN is a LONG way from a state-wide mass transit system. DubbleT pretty much nailed it. Building a new high-speed rail (or piggy-backing on existing freight rails) would only get you to the stations... but what then? Take a taxi? Rent a car? Expand bus service? Unless your destination is the downtown area, Nashville, Knoxville, and especially Chattanooga are too small and WAAAYYY too spread out for an efficient bus service. The bus service we have in Chattanooga serves the downtown and immediate surrounding areas fairly well, but NOT the outskirts. I tried to use the CARTA bus that goes from Hamilton Place to Downtown, but the "local" bus routinely took over an hour, and I can drive it in 20-30 minutes. The "express" wasn't much shorter, and the times just didn't work with my job schedule. So I drive from East Brainerd to downtown every day.

The same for a HS rail from Atlanta to Chattanooga. By itself it'll be almost useless. Yes, there's a LOT of traffic on I-75, but that's because you're funneling all the traffic from I-75 and I-24 into one road. Most of the traffic does start or end in Atlanta, but not Chattanooga. HOWEVER, if this is the first phase of a longer system linking Atlanta to the major cities on the east coast (Atlanta to Chatt to Knoxville and so on) AND the mid-west (Atl-Chatt-Louisville-Indiana-Chicago), then it might work.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:39 AM

@Split, thanks for the kind "Welcome" ;-) I, too, pop on and off the web all day long, part of what I do.. my apol for delay in response.

@ Peppermint/bbnmom As far as the auto industry goes, that's a lost deal...you will NOT find ANY Make that has 100 % anything in it. Circuit boards from China, Transmissions from Mexico, steering, braking and engine components made in Canada, etc... global market, NAFTA, yadda, yadda...
amazing that GM can get a bailout, and they put out a Camaro that is assembled in Canada with Mexican Trannys? Sad.... heartbeat of America my derriere.
Then there's the items imported in a cargo container from elsewhere and 2 wires plugged in here and now it can be sold as "Made/Assembled in USA".
I understand some imports can't be helped as we can't compete on certain mass production items and pay a living wage and keep up safety measures.
That's what unions used to be good for.. worker's rights and safety. Another thing being lost in today's world.
But Unions are under fire and have lost their membership numbers,their power and in many ways, their purpose.

Basically, if we keep buying imports and not exporting or producing locally much of anything, we will not have enough people employed. Then WE become a Third-World Country, having given away all our resources.

I have been searching for local wares and products.
Got a shed from our Brethren, the Mennonites, then hired local guys to do some gravel work, etc..
I try to keep our money local, put our money where our house is, so to speak.
I research in a few places, the Cleveland Banner classifieds to find what I need, not much listed there, same with Polk County.
I hear tourism is great in the area and I sincerely hope the "small" guys in biz get their fair share of ching...
If you're not advertising in the local paper, you're losing out on business. I don't do biz with craigslist ads.. too many horror stories and scams.
-------
When we get fully moved in and up and running, I'll have a list of questions to add to this one below..
So what does everyone do when the tourism season ends? Does it end?
Does it all come to a screeching halt and no more Festivals or Craft Faires, etc.. scrape by until Spring?
Do you just walk up to any farmer and ask if they know a good butcher? I like my Center-cut Pork chops THICK so they can be stuffed.
Who makes the Venison Sausage locally?
Where do I buy a pig for a Pig Roast? Yes, you're invited, bring your guitars, etc..haahahaha.
Who is the local Baker? Fresh bread and cake the way YOU want it, not just what's offered on the shelf.
That about covers the Butcher, the Baker.. oh, btw, I'm the Candlestick maker... every town needs one, lol.

It took me months of research, and alot of BS from local Economic Dev here in NY (their response was to use imported items), but I DID find a company that makes attractive and functional candle containers right here in the U.S.A.! So now my product is 100% American Made, which cannot be claimed by too many in my field. Even those with deceptive names are imported. While it may be easier/cheaper to buy imports, in the long run it's really going to cost us! Get into the habit of looking at labels. I'm not buying anything from countries that use slave/child labor, are anti-American or that help to hide terrorists. I'll do without that lovely scarf from Peshewar until Pakistan gets serious about cleaning up their hiding spots. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against foreigners in general, I'm pretty culturally rounded, but the other issues need to be addressed before I spend my hard-earned cash on their products.
Sorry if my response jumps around...., multi-tasking and pressed for time (moving truck needs filling, I wear many hats, lol)

oh, and yes, I like to write/type. LOL have a great day all!

Last edited by Lyric Lover; 03-16-2011 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: OCD Spelling correction, lol

Old 03-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Default Transportation

Thanks for all the responses on the transit system! If I don't learn something every day, I feel like I am wasting space. I was interested for a few reasons.
A. Fly into BNA and rent a car to drive to Chattanooga, Knoxville, etc.... costly
B. Fly into Chattanooga and take a cab or thumb a ride to Cleveland to get home?
C. Fly or drive to get to major TN cities to market my wares and visit family...

Transportation is always an issue. We live in the country and avoid driving 85 miles to NYC because it is just so congested and costs too much to drive, park (hourly or daily can cost $40, $70 if by a major attraction and up), bridge tolls (last I checked was $8.00 for the George Washington Bridge into NYC, $6.00 for the Lincoln Tunnel, etc..) takes 2.5 hours to drive 85 miles to Manhattan!

We take alot of trains up here, going to miss that.
Thanks again for the input , I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga