Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 20,396 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Tennessee, perhaps around the Signal Mountain area. I was wondering if someone could tell me about building restrictions and such. We would like to live off the grid eventually and to build on the south face of a hill/mountain. Is this type of situation available on Signal Mountain? What about mineral rights and the like in the area? Forgive my ignorance, but is the whole city located on one mountain? Also, if I need to commute to Chattanooga for work, will I hit a lot of traffic? What will my commute time be like?

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/suggestions on these matters,

Cityworker2112
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 AM

611 posts, read 1,998,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityworker2112 View Post
We are considering relocating to Tennessee, perhaps around the Signal Mountain area. I was wondering if someone could tell me about building restrictions and such. We would like to live off the grid eventually and to build on the south face of a hill/mountain. Is this type of situation available on Signal Mountain? What about mineral rights and the like in the area? Forgive my ignorance, but is the whole city located on one mountain? Also, if I need to commute to Chattanooga for work, will I hit a lot of traffic? What will my commute time be like?

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/suggestions on these matters,

Cityworker2112
The traffic up and down SM are only bad during the traditional rush hours, the Biggest Yard Sale in America and if a traffic accident or storm blocks one of the routes during rush hour. Your commute could vary greatly depending where you decide to locate on the mountain.

The city takes up a fraction of the acreage on the mountain and restrictions vary by subdivision. I know of some very cool super efficient homes built in subdivisions. However, there is PLENTY of land available up there to find just what you want. I've never heard of mineral rights being an issue there as they don't mine coal anymore. Your biggest problems building up there will be rocks and the lands ability to perk for a septic system. They have really cracked down on that and for good reason.

Signal is a very nice place to live. It's a little cooler up there in the summer. Much quieter, airs a little crisper, birds sing a little louder, schools are a little freeer (inside Nooga humor there). There are places to buy groceries, gas, hardware, restaurants, schools, Churches, gardening supplies, fireworks (around July 4th).

Hope this helps

Old 03-25-2011, 04:26 PM

Hi, RiverView.
I'm sorry but you lost me on the "perk for a septic system". I have never lived outside of the city so never needed a septic system before. Also, how are the taxes there? Do you live on/near Signal Mtn? How does it compare to Lookout Mtn?

From the pictures I have seen, it does look beautiful!

Thanks for your info!
Cityworker2112

Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Hi, RiverView.
I'm sorry but you lost me on the "perk for a septic system". I have never lived outside of the city so never needed a septic system before. Also, how are the taxes there? Do you live on/near Signal Mtn? How does it compare to Lookout Mtn?

From the pictures I have seen, it does look beautiful!

Thanks for your info!
Cityworker2112

Howdy! LOL! If you want to live off the grid you will get real familiar with that term. Ok, since we are talking about land outside the city limits you will (more than likely) have no access to a municipal sewer system so you will have to install a septic system on your property to handle the waste from you home. The most simple way I can think to describe this is the land has to be able to soak up the waste water without it turning into runoff. The department of health has guidelines on how fast the land should soak up the waste water and depending on how well you land performs the issue you a permit to build 1, 2, 3, etc bedroom home. The silly things they don't care how many bathrooms you have only bedrooms (I have no idea why). Does that help?

Lookout vs Signal - For you needs you will have to look for land on the GA side of Lookout. The TN footprint is extremely small and almost all of it is in the city limits of Lookout Mtn (kind of high taxes). If you do go to the GA side you, you will be more remote and subject to the GA income tax.

As long as you stay outside the city limits of Signal, Walden and Chattanooga you'll be fine. The taxes aren't bad.

I have lived on Signal but now I'm in N Chattanooga. I still go up to Signal to hike, bike and play. Very nice up there but living there did not fit my families lifestyle.

Does that help?

Last edited by RiverView; 03-25-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 10:37 AM

Thank you for all your help, RiverView!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all your help, RiverView!
You are welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga