Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 12:17 PM

21 posts, read 45,406 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a home or build in either Hill Pointe or Enclave in Chattanooga. I will be at either of these residential neighborhoods. We are in need of a family atmosphere (we have a toddler), close to Greenlife, Bright school, and close to local hospitals.

I have been pretty frustrated trying to buy a home in the Riverview/N Chattanooga area as most homes need significant repair. I am a little too busy and pretty bad at handywork to really take on a lot of work. Im coming from the Northeast and really want a friendly atmosphere.

I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. +/- of either of these neighborhoods or if there is another place I should look.

?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 05:33 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KChattanooga View Post
I am looking to buy a home or build in either Hill Pointe or Enclave in Chattanooga. I will be at either of these residential neighborhoods. We are in need of a family atmosphere (we have a toddler), close to Greenlife, Bright school, and close to local hospitals.

I have been pretty frustrated trying to buy a home in the Riverview/N Chattanooga area as most homes need significant repair. I am a little too busy and pretty bad at handywork to really take on a lot of work. Im coming from the Northeast and really want a friendly atmosphere.

I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. +/- of either of these neighborhoods or if there is another place I should look.

?
Hill Pointe is very nice but I don't know how many children live there. It's hilly and probably not a great spot for a toddler to ride his / her big wheel. You do go through a pretty rough section of town to get there too. But the views, homes, and convenience are awesome!

The Enclave is a great neighborhood with plenty of kids. Since you've been there you've noticed the pancake flat yards, streets, and sidewalks and plenty of cul-de-sacs. They also have a community pool, tennis courts and club house.

It is hard to find a nice, new, big home in Riverview for a decent price. Most folks compromise size to locate in Riverview. Just my .02 Best of luck!

P.S. Did you look at Longholm? Zero lot lines but great houses.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:13 PM

I did look at Longholm, and I agree that the houses are great (spacious with nice quality building). However, the zero lot lines were a no go. I would be batty without a tree or some bushes to look at. I think it would be great if we didnt have children.

Do you have an opinion which are the premier builders (or quality reliable builders)? I agree with you that Hill Pointe is very nice, but there are as you say less kids. With the recent flooding in Memphis, is there concern that enclave homes will be under water. Also, what is that big industrial complex and are there any toxic chemicals, etc. Just wondering, if you know?

I do agree Riverview is to the best Nooga has to offer -- especially with downtown, private schools, and convenience to the hospitals.

I will compromise to get into Riverview. Is the resale better in Enclave versus HillPointe?

Old 05-12-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
I did look at Longholm, and I agree that the houses are great (spacious with nice quality building). However, the zero lot lines were a no go. I would be batty without a tree or some bushes to look at. I think it would be great if we didn't have children.

Do you have an opinion which are the premier builders (or quality reliable builders)? I agree with you that Hill Pointe is very nice, but there are as you say less kids. With the recent flooding in Memphis, is there concern that enclave homes will be under water. Also, what is that big industrial complex and are there any toxic chemicals, etc. Just wondering, if you know?

I do agree Riverview is to the best Nooga has to offer -- especially with downtown, private schools, and convenience to the hospitals.

I will compromise to get into Riverview. Is the resale better in Enclave versus HillPointe?
A short list of quality builders would be Signature Land (Dexter White), Ethan Collier, HGH, Steve Eady, Henley Brothers, Blue Hammer. (I'm sure a couple more will come to mind after I post this).

I think the only homes that got water in their crawlspaces were the waterfront homes. The lots on the north end of the waterfront are higher. I know this because I have owned one on each end. The plant across the river is the old Central Soya. It's been mothballed for years. The draw to the Enclave Waterfront is not the view. It's the convenience. You can be downtown in 5 minutes or less by boat and 7 minutes or less by car.

There is a handful of builders that specialize in finding and snarfing up what vacant homesites remain in N Chatt and building homes in the $300K to $450K range. They build a very nice product but the compromise is the size of the home and sometimes the yard. Most folks in N Chatt really utilize the parks.

If you do find a great yard it usually comes with an older home and as you noted above folks want a premium for that. BUT you can be in the mid $300K's. They just don't come up often.

As to resales in HP... I don't think there are any resales to speak of. That community is so new and hasn't gone through that cycle yet.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 AM

Of the builders that you listed is there any one or two that you would say is a must to talk to? I have already spoken with Signature Land (very impressive homes) and Steve Eady. I'll probably be looking at 500-600K range. I was surprised to hear that this range is the low end for both Hill Pointe or Enclave, but it is what is.

Also, does you or anyone know about White Oak/Dog park and is this a nice park (or a retreat for the homeless)? I dont know enough about it but I thought that this would be a nice feature Hill Pointe (given its lack of a pool and tennis courts). I know that they have some sort of dog enclosure. I would love to do the "jog with the dog." Im not sure if I value that more than my kid having friends in Enclave, pool, tennis, and I would have to do some thinking.

I'm into views having lived in big city apartments and mountain views in the past, and Enclave's lack of it is somewhat of a downer for me. I dont think that I like the idea of staring at my neighbor every morning (nor them staring at me).

Again, your point about Riverview's large lots is big plus. I'll keep looking there.

Thanks for clarifying the industrial complex outside of Enclave. I was wondering "what the hell is that?" for a while.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Of the builders that you listed is there any one or two that you would say is a must to talk to? I have already spoken with Signature Land (very impressive homes) and Steve Eady. I'll probably be looking at 500-600K range. I was surprised to hear that this range is the low end for both Hill Pointe or Enclave, but it is what is.

Also, does you or anyone know about White Oak/Dog park and is this a nice park (or a retreat for the homeless)? I dont know enough about it but I thought that this would be a nice feature Hill Pointe (given its lack of a pool and tennis courts). I know that they have some sort of dog enclosure. I would love to do the "jog with the dog." Im not sure if I value that more than my kid having friends in Enclave, pool, tennis, and I would have to do some thinking.

I'm into views having lived in big city apartments and mountain views in the past, and Enclave's lack of it is somewhat of a downer for me. I dont think that I like the idea of staring at my neighbor every morning (nor them staring at me).

Again, your point about Riverview's large lots is big plus. I'll keep looking there.

Thanks for clarifying the industrial complex outside of Enclave. I was wondering "what the hell is that?" for a while.
Ethan Collier. He's a "Green" builder. His custom home work is pretty amazing. Super nice guy too.

I've lived in Riverview all my life and never once been to the White Oak dog park so I'm no help there. We just have fun with our golden here at Casa Da Riverview . You are the freakin' man if jogging with a dog in or around Hill Pointe is appealing. You must have some awesome quads

While the Enclave is lacking in the great view department, it's convenience and abundance of larger, newer brick homes make it hard to beat. That area of Chattanooga just doesn't have the planned out sprawling neighborhoods like many other cities. Which is why the Enclave, Hill Pointe, Longholm and Riverview are so pricey. Believe me I hear this all the time.

Most of the large homesites or reasonably priced homes on larger homesites in Riverview are sold before they ever hit the MLS. I can think of 3 maybe 4 in the last few months.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM

Sounds like you would recommend Enclave over Hillpointe. Thats the sense that Im getting too. There are quite a few homes on the market right now.

Ill give Collier a call sometime within the next couple of weeks. Your help and advice is much appreciated

Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you would recommend Enclave over Hillpointe. Thats the sense that Im getting too. There are quite a few homes on the market right now.

Ill give Collier a call sometime within the next couple of weeks. Your help and advice is much appreciated
you are welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga