Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:57 PM

6 posts, read 12,569 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to move to Chattanooga (from Milwaukee, WI). If it goes through I will be "moved in" Jan 1 2011! Yikes! Most the entertainment i am into is not going to end up on the visitors guides for Chattanooga.

Questions that the forums have not answered for me:
Besides the big Reverbend Fest what other types of music and ethnic fests does Chattanooga have...if any?

Nightlife:
Whats it like if you are into "underground" music. Looking for small clubs / bars that support the local music scene (if there is one), uh...a place that would host bands like Fugazi, Jawbreaker, Social Distortion, Braid, Bad Brains, The Replacements, etc. What is the "music" community like?

Any independent radio stations? College stations that play a diverse mix of genres?

Art:
are there smaller indie galleries. is there anything of an art scene?

Skateboarding parks?

Ethnic restaurants / ethnic diversity in general?

Really appreciate any input!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 04:37 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffrockit View Post
I have an opportunity to move to Chattanooga (from Milwaukee, WI). If it goes through I will be "moved in" Jan 1 2011! Yikes! Most the entertainment i am into is not going to end up on the visitors guides for Chattanooga.

Questions that the forums have not answered for me:
Besides the big Reverbend Fest what other types of music and ethnic fests does Chattanooga have...if any?

Nightlife:
Whats it like if you are into "underground" music. Looking for small clubs / bars that support the local music scene (if there is one), uh...a place that would host bands like Fugazi, Jawbreaker, Social Distortion, Braid, Bad Brains, The Replacements, etc. What is the "music" community like?

Any independent radio stations? College stations that play a diverse mix of genres?

Art:
are there smaller indie galleries. is there anything of an art scene?

Skateboarding parks?

Ethnic restaurants / ethnic diversity in general?

Really appreciate any input!

Thanks!
There are a couple of music series. One is Nightfall that runs during Spring and Summer. It's free and is a pretty eclectic line up because "they" can't afford to bring major acts in and it's free to the public. After Nightfall raps up then it's Riverfront Nights. Also a prette eclectic lineup but no free because the bands are more well known. I doubt it's the type's of bands you are referring to.

Track29 has opened up and is bringing in bigger and more expensive talent. They've had everything from rap, to country to rock to techno (DJ Dubstep).

Rhythm and Brews is cool but has more mainstream music.

For many many years The Nooga has been a "Cover Music" and County Music town. Things are finally beginning to change.

There is not really a college radio station anymore. The Wall at Chattanooga State still has a little programming but not much.

Art Galleries, we have those. High to low end and eclectic.

There is one skateboarding park that I know of. It's adjacent to the Chattanooga Market which is a very cool place to hang out.

Ethnic Restaurants and Ethnic Diversity? I'm not really sure how to answer that but I'm sure others will chime in.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:48 PM

600 posts, read 2,260,545 times
Riverfront Nights was free the last few times I went.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:50 PM

Thank you for the quick reply! I will look into those festivals more on line now i know what to look for.

I found one club online JJ's Bohemia. This looked similar to what I am looking for JJ's Bohemia | Chattanooga, TN | Shows, Schedules, and Directions | ReverbNation

Thinking about it if I moved down i would want to try to find somewhere to book bands too. I found some of the clubs that you mentioned, but it is hard to tell what the style of the club is like. I appreciate the feed back!

Old 11-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Oh I guess what I meant by ethnic diversity. Is there a pretty good mix of different "ethnic" backgrounds, ugh...to be more blunt do you find that there is a lot of racism?

How about vegan / vegetarian restaurants / community?

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply! I will look into those festivals more on line now i know what to look for.

I found one club online JJ's Bohemia. This looked similar to what I am looking for JJ's Bohemia | Chattanooga, TN | Shows, Schedules, and Directions | ReverbNation

Thinking about it if I moved down i would want to try to find somewhere to book bands too. I found some of the clubs that you mentioned, but it is hard to tell what the style of the club is like. I appreciate the feed back!
Your welcome. JJ's is one I would have recommended. Blue Grass or XGrass is big around here too. The Lindsay Street Hall books lots of the. Also look up Barking Legs Theater or is Theatre. Either way...

Quote:
Oh I guess what I meant by ethnic diversity. Is there a pretty good mix of different "ethnic" backgrounds, ugh...to be more blunt do you find that there is a lot of racism?

How about vegan / vegetarian restaurants / community?

Thanks!
Well I think there is plenty of diversity. The places I frequent (except clubs, I'm not much of a clubber) do. We mostly hang out Downtown, Southside, and the North Shore and those areas are very diverse.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 PM

I have been reading more forums on Chattanooga. I was told that the younger sort of...ugh...for lack of a better word "hipster" part of town is St. Elmo. Yet i read a few forums that make it sound like South Central LA!

looking for a place that is in a creative interesting part of town...but affordable. AND SAFE!

any suggestions?

Again being from Milwaukee i am use to a big city, and realize that crime happens all around. Not opposed to having to keep my place locked, but bars on the windows etc...

Old 12-01-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I have been reading more forums on Chattanooga. I was told that the younger sort of...ugh...for lack of a better word "hipster" part of town is St. Elmo. Yet i read a few forums that make it sound like South Central LA!

looking for a place that is in a creative interesting part of town...but affordable. AND SAFE!

any suggestions?

Again being from Milwaukee i am use to a big city, and realize that crime happens all around. Not opposed to having to keep my place locked, but bars on the windows etc...
I know lots of folks that live in St Elmo and love it. I know even more that live in N Chatt and love it. I know some folks that live in the Southside Distick to Downtown and love it. In any of these areas I would avoid the cheapest house on the cheapest street. More than likely that is where you will find problems.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:12 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
It looks like you'd be more interested in Bonnaroo's (http://www.bonnaroo.com/artists.aspx - broken link) lineup than Riverbend. Bonnaroo is around the same time and is just up the Interstate a bit.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:48 PM

jwkilgore,
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.
I am somewhat familiar with the fest. A buddy of mine ran sound for a couple bands that played there. I have always wanted to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga