Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 PM

49 posts, read 65,217 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I want to move to the friendly South, and we are doing our research now. We have narrowed the area down to Northern Georgia or East Tennessee. One huge advantage Tennessee has, is the lack of a State Income Tax. I will not work anymore as I will be retired. Only thing that is really of interest to us is a country type area with a lot of creeks. Would like to buy 5 acres with a creek running through or bordering the property, and a Home Depot or Hardware store in a reasonable distance...That's it!!

Any thoughts or ideas for us ?

By the way, Jack Daniels is an awesome Whiskey. I got a taste of it 41 years ago, my mother had just died and I had a bottle of J.D. on hand. I was pretty upset all night and kept drinking, ... 3/4 of a bottle. Next day no headache...Impressive! Can't make that statement about wine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 04:17 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,202,026 times
If you're retired, then the lack of a state wage income tax actually works against deciding on TN. The gub'ment has to get money somewhere, so because they aren't getting a percentage of your wages they have higher sales tax (up to 9.75% in some areas) and other fees to make up for it. See TN Tax Rates.

If you don't have wage income then that means zero wage taxes in any state. But TN DOES have an income tax on some interest and dividends. So if your retirement income comes from taxable interest and dividends, then your rate would be 6%/year (less some deductions). I don't remember if GA taxes retirement income or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga